New Orleans

OK...so, Tyrann Mathieu is scared to go into his own home town of New Orleans.

LINK

I used to love NO. But, since Katrina, the city has become more and more dangerous.

So...if you were the mayor of NO, how would you handle it? Boost police and crack down on criminals causing more incarcerated people? Hand out more welfare?

What would you do?

i was born in new orleans, have lived there off and on over the last 40 years.

it just keeps getting worse and i have no idea how it will ever get better.

i moved out for the last time in 2009 and i rarely go back, even though i'm only across the lake.

moving to portland in month or so, i doubt i ever come back to louisiana. it's one big gov't subsidized piece of crap just waiting to fall over.

they could at least legalize weed to make some profit and set up "legal" drugs in general through hospitals, clinics or w/e. taking drug money off the street would be a start, not that the "business" of medicine is much better.

Your view on this is interesting since you have lived there.

Sad thing is, there are parts of Louisiana that I think I would love to live. One in particular, I had to visit a project our company was involved with at a house along a canal. This canal was lined with really nice homes with nice boats out back. The owner could get in his boat and go through the lake and be in the gulf fishing. I thought that looked AWESOME!!! (This sounds like it's pretty close to where you live)

Sad thing is, the government and education are so screwed up in the state that I doubt if I would ever want to actually move there.

this is the biggest problem. there are lots of places that are nice to live in and around new orleans. you don't have to go across the lake. the private school selection is top notch. good as any secondary education in the country, but can be pricey. lots of educational options.

that said, the overall crime rate and drag that keeps getting worse in louisiana diminishes the quality of life that is available due to it getting worse and spreading. uptown and the garden district are awesome, but why buy a million dollar home to be surrounded by a third world city and a very polluted mississippi river.

the northshore and some areas in and around new orleans are great, but there are better options across the country.