Tate Martell

It doesn't matter anyway. He doesn't fit with MR's scheme.... They want bigger strong armed Qb's and If I remember this kid is like 5-11 or 10. I think they would make a concession if he was an unreal pocket passer but Martell isn't that.

So this is all much a do about nothing except that his interest confirms the positive recruiting energy around the program.

• Fire 1

It doesn't matter anyway. He doesn't fit with MR's scheme.... They want bigger strong armed Qb's and If I remember this kid is like 5-11 or 10. I think they would make a concession if he was an unreal pocket passer but Martell isn't that.

So this is all much a do about nothing except that his interest confirms the positive recruiting energy around the program.

I believe we should recruit and offer and take every true 5 star player (of course this means he has character, grades, etc) we can get until we are winning titles and ruling college football once again. In my opinion, he is NOT a 5 star dual threat QB recruit UNLESS he is a great passer and great runner and great field leader, etc. To be 5 star, you need to have all the skills and demonstrate them against good competition repeatedly, etc. A 4 star guy will demonstrate all the skills at a pretty high level, although maybe not "great". A 4 star dual threat QB maybe is a superior athlete with great running skills and good passing skills or vice versa and generally a good to great all around quarterback. A 3 star likely more like good skills running and passing and otherwise.

To be a 5 star and be undersized (anything under 6'2 is now undersized in my view), one must tremendous passing and running and leadership,etc to make up for the lack of size. Under 6 feet means Martel is a special player (Manziel level) and hopefully has a brain (on and off the field to match his athleticism). I can't see how he would not be a scholarship will invested. He would be a tremendous back up QB certainly IF he didn't come in and win the job, which he very well might just do. I think Riley will play the best player on the team at each spot. He wants to win like the rest of us.

I believe we should recruit and offer and take every true 5 star player (of course this means he has character, grades, etc) we can get until we are winning titles and ruling college football once again. In my opinion, he is NOT a 5 star dual threat QB recruit UNLESS he is a great passer and great runner and great field leader, etc. To be 5 star, you need to have all the skills and demonstrate them against good competition repeatedly, etc. A 4 star guy will demonstrate all the skills at a pretty high level, although maybe not "great". A 4 star dual threat QB maybe is a superior athlete with great running skills and good passing skills or vice versa and generally a good to great all around quarterback. A 3 star likely more like good skills running and passing and otherwise.

To be a 5 star and be undersized (anything under 6'2 is now undersized in my view), one must tremendous passing and running and leadership,etc to make up for the lack of size. Under 6 feet means Martel is a special player (Manziel level) and hopefully has a brain (on and off the field to match his athleticism). I can't see how he would not be a scholarship will invested. He would be a tremendous back up QB certainly IF he didn't come in and win the job, which he very well might just do. I think Riley will play the best player on the team at each spot. He wants to win like the rest of us.

Yea I get where your coming from and respect that but, no.

Something a bunch of people need to get on this board is that those stars often don't mean sh#t. Many talented five stars have amounted to nothing. You need look no further than Missouri for this example. Gabbert was ok, but the 5 star DT and 5 star WR Dorial Green Beckham weren't very memorable and sure as hell didn't win them anything meaningful.

Hell Suh was on many services only a 4 star prospect. And Ben Roethlisberger was a 3 or 2 star I think?

I know it was twenty years ago but Nebraska won its 3 national titles with a heapin' helpin' of guys we would call 3 star and walk on players, I think it was 5 walk-ons that played or started for us against Miami who had a wealth of 4-5 star guys including Warren Sapp, Ray lewis, and Duane f'ing Johnson (ok he didn't play but still they had the rock!). If I remember well the big time 5 star guys we had were Frazier, Phillips, Wistrom and the Peters brothers and a few others I'm forgetting as I write this.

But basically we had a handful, they had an army. And we still won. And we did because our coaches were better at scouting and developing that talent. Miami wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

So again stars don't matter.

But what I don't think your understanding is that this kid athletically doesn't fit Nebraska's offensive scheme. We now run a Pro style offense. Tate Martell is a perfect fit in a spread read option or pistol Read option offense. Hence why he is committed to aggie.

You need only look at the guys Langs has offered and then compare them to Martell and you will realize that he has very little to offer that langs wants or feels his offense needs to win titles in the manner he envisions.

So its cool he wants to come here, but there is very little use this current staff has for him I think......

Yea I get where your coming from and respect that but, no.

Something a bunch of people need to get on this board is that those stars often don't mean sh#t. Many talented five stars have amounted to nothing. You need look no further than Missouri for this example. Gabbert was ok, but the 5 star DT and 5 star WR Dorial Green Beckham weren't very memorable and sure as hell didn't win them anything meaningful.

Hell Suh was on many services only a 4 star prospect. And Ben Roethlisberger was a 3 or 2 star I think?

I know it was twenty years ago but Nebraska won its 3 national titles with a heapin' helpin' of guys we would call 3 star and walk on players, I think it was 5 walk-ons that played or started for us against Miami who had a wealth of 4-5 star guys including Warren Sapp, Ray lewis, and Duane f'ing Johnson (ok he didn't play but still they had the rock!). If I remember well the big time 5 star guys we had were Frazier, Phillips, Wistrom and the Peters brothers and a few others I'm forgetting as I write this.

But basically we had a handful, they had an army. And we still won. And we did because our coaches were better at scouting and developing that talent. Miami wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

So again stars don't matter.

But what I don't think your understanding is that this kid athletically doesn't fit Nebraska's offensive scheme. We now run a Pro style offense. Tate Martell is a perfect fit in a spread read option or pistol Read option offense. Hence why he is committed to aggie.

You need only look at the guys Langs has offered and then compare them to Martell and you will realize that he has very little to offer that langs wants or feels his offense needs to win titles in the manner he envisions.

So its cool he wants to come here, but there is very little use this current staff has for him I think......

Well, I give these coaches more credit that you seem to want to as I believe they like having superior athletes on the team. Now I agree and have said so on this board that not ever star rating is accurate but, I did stipulate, the a 5 star rated 'short' QB must be otherwise one of the very best as a passer and runner and game manager; otherwise he would simply not impress anyone enough to get the high rating. if you are questioning his QB skills and saying he is not that good of an athlete, I guess you could be right. However, until someone shows me why he is not a great athlete, I will stand by my view we should recruit the best athletes we can get who want to come and be a Husker.

Further, nobody is arguing against recruiting any great athletes, no matter what their star rating is (or even if no rating is assigned). We want the best recruits to come and become great Huskers. At least, I don't have a problem. You will find I have advocated strongly for some recruits with lower star ratings, etc. I tend to view their ratings as a good indicator but not the sole indicator.

Athleticism and a desire to go to Nebraska does make make a good football team. If this was the case they'd just have Epley test everyone on campus and take the top 85 scorers and put them on scholarship.

You need athletes on your team, but they must have specific skills that fit into your system and the requirements of each specific position.

So either the staff has decided not to pursue Martell because he doesn't fit, or they haven't pursued him because someone they thought was a better fit for the team has already committed and they don't want to take two QBs this class.

Martell is labeled as a DT QB but that is kind of deceiving. His stats the last couple of years are on par with what POB put up his Jr. and Sr. years. POB actually has more rushing yards and rush TDs then what Tate has had. I know that will change cause Tate has another year but I just don't see Tate as a true DT QB. Here are Tate's stats for his So. and Jr. years.

So. 2537 yds. passing 40 tds. 2 ints. 433 rush yds. 5 tds.

Jr. 2608 yds. passing 32 tds. 6 ints. 604 rush yds. 9 tds.

Martell is labeled as a DT QB but that is kind of deceiving. His stats the last couple of years are on par with what POB put up his Jr. and Sr. years. POB actually has more rushing yards and rush TDs then what Tate has had. I know that will change cause Tate has another year but I just don't see Tate as a true DT QB. Here are Tate's stats for his So. and Jr. years.

So. 2537 yds. passing 40 tds. 2 ints. 433 rush yds. 5 tds.

Jr. 2608 yds. passing 32 tds. 6 ints. 604 rush yds. 9 tds.

Martinez, a transfer from San Bernardino Cajon before his senior year, had jaw-dropping statistics this season. The Nebraska-bound standout threw for nearly 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns, and ran for 750 yards and 12 scores.

I honestly can't see why someone would say "he doesn't have this", "he doesn't fit our system", fill in the blank. If Tate Martell wants to check out Nebraska and if by doing so wants to commit to us, by all means let him do it. That's a determination for the staff and ultimately for Tate to see if bringing him in would further foster a culture of competition making the best rise to the top.

Worst case scenario, he visits and nothing else amounts, besides the fact that Nebraska gets more recognition of having a 5* visit.

Best case, he commits and creates a competition group much like Ameer, Aaron, and Braylon had where Ameer flat out outworked everyone else for the starting job.

Skills as a safety and skills as an qb are very different. Your comment contradicts what you were saying before

That is true but the primary skills that coaches would be looking for are strength, speed, quickness, agility, football intelligence, academic intelligence, height, weight, etc. We are taking for granted that he has good or even great throwing ability and good or great running ability. Those are skills if you will that are required of a corner or safety as well. Now, perhaps he can't play defense (although I would seriously doubt a great athlete with a football mind could not become a quality defender. Why are you questioning his athletic ability. If I am a coach of the lacrosse team, I would take a hard look at this guy whether he has ever even seen a lacrosse field!