Thurston Not Returning to Team - Transferring to Colorado State

Cav's philosophy is not unique. It's the philosophy of most teams at all levels, not just the NFL. Feel free to watch the championship game from last year and notice how little Alabama was subbing on the offensive line.

The NFL is just the best example of how the arguments for "platooning" don't hold up.

yup, you don't ever have to worry about your NFL guys graduating or leaving early for the draft....

Obviously the coaches don't agree.

Until this staff gets a couple games better than .500, anything and everything they think do, or say is going to be subject to debate. Nothing stifles dissent like success, and the lack of success produces a bumper crop of dissent and second guessing. That's not just being a coach, it also goes with being president of the United States, a general, a CEO, a fishing guide, or spouse/parent. Get doused with Gatorade and hoist a trophy and this all disappears. Lose to Illinois and Purdue, human nature kicks in to high gear. Nature of the beast.

Since Cavanaugh doesn't believe in rotating people in and out, it is probably a smart move for anybody not going to start to look for another place to play. That's one facet of this new coaching staff which I don't agree on either, since rotating fresh bodies in to wear down the defense worked for that one guy who finally stifled a lot of dissent when he was coaching at Nebraska.

Our staff has said on more than one occasion that they would like to rotate in, however they like to do it as units. When they get 2 lines that are close to equal - we will probably see that. There are advantages to having groups of 5 stay together and there are advantages of taking out individuals when they need a break. Which is better, hard to say, I will go with the lead of a staff that was 6-7 (with 5 losses that could have been wins) over a message board poster.

If a guy wants meaningful playing time in games and he is second string - he has a lot of incentive to fight for first string. If two guys play 50% of the game - not much reason to fight for first string. Again not saying it is right or wrong - just two different approaches. Players can buy in or move on......

I will go with the lead of a staff that was 6-7 (with 5 losses that could have been wins) over a message board poster.

Actually, you should go with the message board poster, because EVERYBODY knows that ANYBODY can win nine games a season at Nebraska, so it was a net loss of three wins.

As long as we are playing "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda", I remind you that the Michigan State game was closer to a loss than any of those other games were closer to a win. It took a dropped interception and a questionable ruling on Reilly's TD route to pull that one out of the fire.

I will go with the lead of a staff that was 6-7 (with 5 losses that could have been wins) over a message board poster.

Actually, you should go with the message board poster, because EVERYBODY knows that ANYBODY can win nine games a season at Nebraska, so it was a net loss of three wins.

As long as we are playing "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda", I remind you that the Michigan State game was closer to a loss than any of those other games were closer to a win. It took a dropped interception and a questionable ruling on Reilly's TD route to pull that one out of the fire.

There was NOTHING questionable about that ruling. Are there any experts at all who agree with your statement? This sort of situation happens more than you'd think (or maybe I just noticed it more after Reilly's play) and Reilly actually came back in bounds far sooner than most other receivers I saw last year. And just because the receiver goes out of bounds it doesn't automatically disqualify them from catching a pass. I applaud Reilly's effort on that play. He could have given up after being forced out of bounds (forced doesn't necessarily mean shoved/pushed) but he didn't, he put in a great second effort to catch the pass thrown his way.

This is simply an attempt to take a great win and disparage it.

• Fire 2

Are there any experts at all who agree with your statement?

Yes.

Now ask me "Who?"

...and you didn't address the dropped interception.

It's a good thing that defender dropped the ball, and I didn't really feel the need to address it because anyone not named Moe Ron can figure that one out.

Hailmary > MSU

sorry to disappoint you...but Nebraska DID win that game.

sorry to disappoint you...but Nebraska DID win that game.

I wasn't disappointed and I did watch it.

What I am saying is that one could just as easily count close wins as potential losses if we are going to jump the fence that borders reality and count close losses as potential wins. It works both ways, right?

• 1 month later...