Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

I think everyone should stop talking about recruiting, Frank, Bo, Bill, etc.. since they aren't relevant to the topic. Instead, spend 30-45 minutes of your time listening to this podcast. It's much more informational than anything opinions in this thread, and a better use of time than reliving the Frank Solich Saga®.

I would highly suggest that anyone remotely interested in this topic listen to last week's OWH Pick Six podcast.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-nu-s-identity-on-offense-armstrong-s/article_ae9e16a4-0678-11e6-8b05-9fca310911ca.html

Sam and Jon had a very interesting discussion about this very thing.

Surprise... Surprise...

The discussion on those podcasts obviously agrees 100% with what CM HUSKER has been saying throughout this entire thread.

I know the fairy tale fans don't like the truth being told so they will probably choke if they watch those videos (they wont because they have contempt for the truth and reality) but there is a whole lot of truth and reality being spoken in those videos.

The first video is pretty much nonstop criticism of the coaching staff, our lack of identity on offense and defense and a boatload of criticism of players and assistant coaches. The second video is pretty much more of the same.

Of course the fairy tale fans want anyone who speaks the truth or who says those things here... banned.

If the people who tell the truth and are informed... are all banned... then what's left will be a bunch of deluded fairy tale fans living in a make believe world... speaking nonsense to each other.

There is nothing more infantile than a bunch of selfish babies screaming for anyone who says something they don't like to be banned. What a bunch of bs.

• Fire 1

I don't miss the -1. It turned off a lot of posters when they'd have one dissenting opinion and get -1'd into oblivion. Besides, the +1 works as a negative system as well. Conclusions can be drawn from someone with posts that aren't +1'd very often.

Maybe you meant to say "me" when you said "a lot of posters when they have one dissenting opinion"

I don't even recall -1 voting here but it's like anything, you can do something well or do something poorly. Perhaps it was done poorly here (and I mean stupid program logic not stupid poster behavior. Good logic can remove the vast majority of that).

I was part of the decision to eliminate the -1 option. The board works just fine the way it is. If you don't like someone's post you don't have to -1 it, just ignore it.

spot on

So... You need your own guys to have a stated offensive philosophy. That's interesting.

The concern I have is that players don't even seem to understand the vision. How do you get alignment on a goal in that scenario?

Players don't need to understand a vision; that's a buzzword used for and by fans with an elementary, outsider's amount of knowledge. Players need to know the playbook. At the end of the day, Langs has a playbook, with specific plays with specific lines drawn in different directions, that the players will have, learn, and practice, under tutelage and with correction along the way.

Having concern about offensive philosophy is fine, but the players 'not understanding the vision' is probably the most nonsensical reasoning possible to get to that concern.

Hahahah. Hahahahahaha.

Having a philosophical understanding of what you're trying to get done is extraordinarily important and anyone who has coached or listens to coaches will m consider that over and over.

Vision produces mentality and only a fool wouldn't understand the importance of mentality in football success.

That's taken care of in practice, namely, in fall practice, via coaching. Whether or not the players can produce a satisfactory sound byte answer to the media to sate plebs like you and I doesn't really have any bearing on if it actually does or doesn't happen successfully.

Keep whistling dude. And deflecting with personal attacks.

Everyone one of the players under TO understood what they were doing and why they were doing it.

And the player quotes are just a part of it. Listen to the Benning interview or the OWH videocast. Or use your own damn eyes. And then try to tell me there's a coherent offensive philosophy to what Langs tries to do.

Even in his interview with Benning, he didn't articulate one.

I am not one to post often here and read this board especially for recruiting profiles. I understand that there are two sides to every story and that not everyone is a fan of coaching staffs...but this poster has taken over this board and has made almost every thread all about him. This me against the world mentality doesn't wear well. It's gotten old very quickly. I wish we all had the "outstanding" football knowledge he has...:,)

• Fire 2

I think everyone should stop talking about recruiting, Frank, Bo, Bill, etc.. since they aren't relevant to the topic. Instead, spend 30-45 minutes of your time listening to this podcast. It's much more informational than anything opinions in this thread, and a better use of time than reliving the Frank Solich Saga®.

I would highly suggest that anyone remotely interested in this topic listen to last week's OWH Pick Six podcast.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-nu-s-identity-on-offense-armstrong-s/article_ae9e16a4-0678-11e6-8b05-9fca310911ca.html

Surprise... Surprise...

The discussion on those podcasts obviously agrees 100% with what CM HUSKER has been saying throughout this entire thread.

I know the fairy tale fans don't like the truth being told so they will probably choke if they watch those videos (they wont because they have contempt for the truth and reality) but there is a whole lot of truth and reality being spoken in those videos.

The first video is pretty much nonstop criticism of the coaching staff, our lack of identity on offense and defense and a boatload of criticism of players and assistant coaches. The second video is pretty much more of the same.

Of course the fairy tale fans want anyone who speaks the truth or who says those things here... banned.

If the people who tell the truth and are informed... are all banned... then what's left will be a bunch of deluded fairy tale fans living in a make believe world... speaking nonsense to each other.

I guess we know who's giving CM all his +1's...

• Fire 1

Surprise... Surprise...

I guess we know who's giving CM all his +1's...

No you don't.

• Fire 1

Speaking of sycophants, none of the Langs disciples have even tried to address the topic at hand.

Quite telling.

two questions..

1) Do you believe Nebraska can only win with Tom system of the 90's?

2) Do you believe that Nebraska had the success it did because TO was a great coach, and made changes when needed, or do you believe it was the base system of running the ball?

Personally, I believe it was more TO than the system he ran, though I 100% believe we need to run the ball. If I am not mistaken TO said he likes aspects of the spread offense.

I think the combination of the two could be successful at NU!

To answer (1), no, I don't think we can or should replicate his system from the 90s, though I do think it would work today. More than anything, I think NU needs to employ a "heavy" rather than "balanced" system that utilizes a playmaker, rather than game manager, at the QB position. I prefer run heavy for a number of reasons, but if people want to go pass heavy, I wouldn't be against it. I'd look at a lot of coaches who've achieved offensive success with less than ideal recruiting (e.g., Briles, leech, some of the guys at service academies, guys at Oregon early on in their success, even TO for many of his years).

I'm of the basic opinion that year in and year out, NU will be between 20 and 30 in terms of recruiting, with some bounces up and falls down occasionally based on circumstance (eg, bad year of local talent or excitement of a new system ala '05).

Therefore, NU needs to be asymmetrical in its strategies. It can't hope to have much consistent success going toe to toe with the USCs and Alabama's of the world. I don't even think they can do that going up against the michigans and Michigan states of the world.

I also like the idea of a "chunk play" offense that cuts down on reads and uses players interchangeably rather than fundamentally changes based on the players' ability. That's why I like the option as a component of offense and the way it cleans up reads for guys in the passing game by forcing a man out of coverage.

(2) Nebraska had the success we did for a number of reasons, but mainly because we had a great coach. In my opinion, the best to ever coach because of what he accomplished in Nebraska. I think any coach who comes here should borrow heavily from his blueprint. I'm sure there are 50 ways to skin a cat, but there aren't that many ways to grind out championships in Lincoln, so why reinvent the wheel.

All of that said, with NU positioned the way it is, Riley can run his system and win 9-10 games a year, I think. And if he does that, we shouldn't fire him. I just don't see NU recruiting consistently well enough to win championships with that system, though I do think we can win with that same talent using a more creative system.

• Fire 1

Criticism of Riley's and Langsdorf's offense is fair. Yes, they probably don't have all the necessary talent that they need to run their ideal system, but coaches need to be able to put their players in a position to succeed. There were a lot of times last year where that wasn't done with the offense.

All I'd like to know in this thread is, "what is their ideal system?"

• Fire 2

i keep reading criticism....but who is giving any solutions? all i read is jabs taken at the staff, the administration, the fans, and some players. maybe we should fire everyone and everything and start over? or should we get behind the huskers and try to get this thing moving in the same direction instead of trying to tear it apart? i choose to not piss and moan about the team,coaches,admin,fans,players...etc. if that makes me a "fairy tale fan" than so be it. if i have to piss and moan about everything to be a "real fan" than no thanks.

• Fire 2

Exactly.

So CM agrees with the previous post and gets 2 +1s, while the post with the actual observation gets 0?

Can someone tell me how this keeps happening?

Sure. The admins refuse to turn on -1 voting so dipwads dipsh*t away with near impunity and they +1 each other regularly.

I don't miss the -1. It turned off a lot of posters when they'd have one dissenting opinion and get -1'd into oblivion. Besides, the +1 works as a negative system as well. Conclusions can be drawn from someone with posts that aren't +1'd very often.

Maybe you meant to say "me" when you said "a lot of posters when they have one dissenting opinion"

I don't even recall -1 voting here but it's like anything, you can do something well or do something poorly. Perhaps it was done poorly here (and I mean stupid program logic not stupid poster behavior. Good logic can remove the vast majority of that).

At the reservation of sounding pompous, I wasn't referring to myself. I've been around here for about 8 years now and have found, for the most part, people generally agree with me or don't generally get too fiery about my opinions. When the -1 system was around, however, there were new posters who would get -10 or -15 because of an unpopular opinion and then they'd stop posting here.

That's not a good way to draw members and opinions to the board.

But as I said, the +1 system works as a negative reward system, as well. If you don't like the post then you can just ignore it.

• Fire 2

i keep reading criticism....but who is giving any solutions? all i read is jabs taken at the staff, the administration, the fans, and some players. maybe we should fire everyone and everything and start over? or should we get behind the huskers and try to get this thing moving in the same direction instead of trying to tear it apart? i choose to not piss and moan about the team,coaches,admin,fans,players...etc. if that makes me a "fairy tale fan" than so be it. if i have to piss and moan about everything to be a "real fan" than no thanks.

My argument is that almost any system can work with the right players and coaches, even Riley's/Lang's systems.

Now, is it fair to disagree with that system? Absolutely. In fact, I will admit that I would much prefer Nebraska run a system similar to what Wisconsin runs because I personally believe it is better suited to our state, the talent locally and the general recruiting we can expect year in and year out. I don't really think we're in a good position to fight for great skill position players and pro-style QB's every year, at least not to the extent that will help us beat the teams who are doing the same thing.

But, what good does it do to expand on it or beat this methodology into the ground? My opinion won't change anything and I'm also not foolish enough to believe it's my way or the highway. I'm giving the coaches an opportunity to do it their way. Maybe where other coaches failed in the past, they'll succeed. Maybe they'll fail as well. Only time will tell. This is year two of a likely 3-4 year stint minimal, barring some monumental breakdown this year.

• Fire 2

I was sort of messing with you Enhance with the "me" crack.

The -1 didn't work before cause the logic used was poor.

Autopilot flies airplanes so it's not like this simple issue is complicated to automate a bit.

I agree with 1HuskerDad above and disagree with Knapplc above.

There are far too many sh*y posts and they come from a tiny fraction of the posters.

BTW I'm sort of arguing not for me but for others. I had enough last October and went on a massive blockfest.

Are fans supposed to provide solutions to coaches? I agree that people should move forward and be supportive of the program, but that doesn't absolve the coaching staff from any criticsm/

I think the coaches are doing a great job in recruiting this year. They seem to take a long approach to building relationships, and that's great. Maybe that's why the class wasn't all that great in 2016, when they missed on some key position areas. But, they seem to be doing a great job for 2017.

My main concern with Riley and his staff is his game day coaching. He bungled many in-game situations last year, and I hope he is able to fix that going forward. Hopefully he is able to bring in enough talent and have them playing so well that the games don't come down to one or two key plays where coaching and player gaffes don't matter to the outcome.

Speaking of sycophants, none of the Langs disciples have even tried to address the topic at hand.

Quite telling.

two questions..

1) Do you believe Nebraska can only win with Tom system of the 90's?

2) Do you believe that Nebraska had the success it did because TO was a great coach, and made changes when needed, or do you believe it was the base system of running the ball?

Personally, I believe it was more TO than the system he ran, though I 100% believe we need to run the ball. If I am not mistaken TO said he likes aspects of the spread offense.

I think the combination of the two could be successful at NU!

To answer (1), no, I don't think we can or should replicate his system from the 90s, though I do think it would work today. More than anything, I think NU needs to employ a "heavy" rather than "balanced" system that utilizes a playmaker, rather than game manager, at the QB position. I prefer run heavy for a number of reasons, but if people want to go pass heavy, I wouldn't be against it. I'd look at a lot of coaches who've achieved offensive success with less than ideal recruiting (e.g., Briles, leech, some of the guys at service academies, guys at Oregon early on in their success, even TO for many of his years).

I'm of the basic opinion that year in and year out, NU will be between 20 and 30 in terms of recruiting, with some bounces up and falls down occasionally based on circumstance (eg, bad year of local talent or excitement of a new system ala '05).

Therefore, NU needs to be asymmetrical in its strategies. It can't hope to have much consistent success going toe to toe with the USCs and Alabama's of the world. I don't even think they can do that going up against the michigans and Michigan states of the world.

I also like the idea of a "chunk play" offense that cuts down on reads and uses players interchangeably rather than fundamentally changes based on the players' ability. That's why I like the option as a component of offense and the way it cleans up reads for guys in the passing game by forcing a man out of coverage.

(2) Nebraska had the success we did for a number of reasons, but mainly because we had a great coach. In my opinion, the best to ever coach because of what he accomplished in Nebraska. I think any coach who comes here should borrow heavily from his blueprint. I'm sure there are 50 ways to skin a cat, but there aren't that many ways to grind out championships in Lincoln, so why reinvent the wheel.

All of that said, with NU positioned the way it is, Riley can run his system and win 9-10 games a year, I think. And if he does that, we shouldn't fire him. I just don't see NU recruiting consistently well enough to win championships with that system, though I do think we can win with that same talent using a more creative system.

I am a run first guy myself; played running back so I am a bit biased in that respect. Riley better win 9-10 games a year. I give latitude for the first season, just because of how things went down... That said, he better develop a system of some kind and soon.

Surprise... Surprise...

There is nothing more infantile than a bunch of selfish babies screaming for anyone who says something they don't like to be banned. What a bunch of bs.

I disagree. Sam and Jon's discussion is much more nuanced than simply bashing the staff. They realize that there's a lot more "grey area" involved than what people want to believe.