Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce

This stuff is awesome. I prefer a tomato based sauce like KC Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Ray's, etc. for most BBQ (especially beef) but this stuff just can't be beat on pulled pork. It's got the right blend of sour, sweet, hot, and pucker face. Try it, you'll like it.

Carolina Gold

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups prepared yellow mustard (I've used Heinz or French's)

5 Tablespoons brown sugar

4 Tablespoons tomato paste (I usually use ketchup and a bit more than the 4T)

3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (you can use more or less to your taste preference- I like more)

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about 5-10 minutes to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and let cool before using. Don't overcook. Refrigerate leftover sauce.

I need to try this one. I gave BBQ class for the local HS a couple months ago and made several different kinds of BBQ sauce. (tomato based, mustard based and vinegar based) Then talked about the different areas of the Carolinas they each came from. Most liked the mustard based sauce and a couple liked the vinegar. It was interesting because around here, most have only had the tomato based.

I'll try this one.

I use the amazing ribs version as a base, and add a bit more kick to it. I've been doing it for a little over a year, and it's the favorite sauce of everyone I cook for.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

I'm smoking a couple pork butts later on this week. Might have to whip up a batch of this alternate version and try it out.

Did some slow cooker pulled pork this weekend. The recipe said cook on low for 8-10 hours - it took 13 hours and was less weight than called for. It was a Carolina based vinegar based braising liquid. Yuck.

The only thing that saved the day was JJs BBQ sauce.

• Plus1 1

I use the amazing ribs version as a base, and add a bit more kick to it. I've been doing it for a little over a year, and it's the favorite sauce of everyone I cook for.

I'm smoking a couple pork butts later on this week. Might have to whip up a batch of this alternate version and try it out.

It's really, really good. I do it a gallon at a time, and split it with a "spicy" version and regular. It's mustard, so it keeps forever too.

• Fire 1

I've got two pork butts on the grill for tomorrow, and I'm going to make some of this sauce and another, red BBQ sauce so people have choices.

I AM EXCITE!!!

Well, I defaulted to the recipe I was more familiar with (the OP) this last go round but I am going to try Saunders version soon. Ended up giving away one of the butts and half the Carolina Gold sauce to a friend of ours whose wife just began chemo. Figured that would give them plenty of needed, easy meals for awhile. And I really enjoy smoking stuff anyway so that will just give me an opportunity to do it again sooner.

Hope everyone that tries it likes it. I put in a bit more of everything except the mustard. Don't know if it was just my taste buds this time but it seemed a bit too mustardy. That's the good thing, you can easily adjust it to what you like. It also seems to get better as time passes.

• Fire 2
  • 1 month later...

Update on this:

I got sick just before I had people over for that meal I talked about with the pork butts so I didn't make all the sauces I wanted to make. Here we are a few weeks later and I finally, minutes ago, made the Amazing Ribs version of Carolina Gold that Saunders linked to above.

HOLY MOLY. That's good stuff. I grew up on KC BBQ sauce, the thick red stuff that makes a tasty glaze. I've never had a mustard-based sauce before, but this stuff is amazing. Definitely on the menu from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

It's really, really good. I do it a gallon at a time, and split it with a "spicy" version and regular. It's mustard, so it keeps forever too.

My intestines told me this weekend that this is not true.

• 1 month later...

Smoked a couple butts and tried the Amazing Ribs recipe this weekend. Really good stuff. I think I like it a bit better than the recipe I posted. Its a little sweeter and has a more complex flavor profile. Whereas the recipe I posted is more of a straight mustard and vinegar flavor that has a stronger pungent vinegar bite. Both very good but slightly different. I would definitely recommend either one as a staple to serve with your barbeque.

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love this stuff...I am still not sure what it is best use for...but I love it.

Thats an easy one, it is best used on smoked pulled pork. Nothing else pairs so perfectly.  I also like it on hot dogs and brats and burgers. As good as it is it seems there should be limitless uses but those are the only ones I've come up with.

• Plus1 1