Target, Bathrooms, & a PC culture

Maybe I feel uncomfortable sharing a restroom with blonde haired people. Should I expect things to be changed to cater to my quirks?

No. Blonde haired people should be able to use gendered public restrooms according to how they identify, same as you. And same as transgendered people. No matter how many other people have a problem with it.

Equal protection under the law.

Where is the equal protection for my wife and daughter to not be subjected to using a restroom with a man? I guess they dont count.

• Fire 2

Maybe I feel uncomfortable sharing a restroom with blonde haired people. Should I expect things to be changed to cater to my quirks?

No. Blonde haired people should be able to use gendered public restrooms according to how they identify, same as you. And same as transgendered people. No matter how many other people have a problem with it.

Where is the equal protection for my wife and daughter to not be subjected to using a restroom with a man? I guess they dont count.

Wouldn't it be karma if your daughter tells you she doesn't really feel like a girl when she gets older? Does that change things in your head at all? She does count. As a girl now, as a woman later, as a woman who might genetically be a man whenever. Everybody counts and should be protected. Everybody.

• Fire 1

This is funny. People trying to solve a problem, that really isn't a problem, by coming up with all kinds of strange and expensive ideas. Is there really a problem in telling everyone, trans people included, that they are to use the restroom indicated by the plumbing they were born with? It has worked well for a long, long time, doesn't cost anything extra, and doesn't make the vast majority of people uncomfortable. Do we really need to cater to, what is it, something like .3% of the population? I say we make this just another one of "their" issues that they have to learn to deal with. Really, it's getting just plain ridiculous at this point.

Why don't we simply let them use the bathroom that they are most comfortable with? Running into a trans man in the restroom is really such a big issue for you?

No, but running into a trans man in the restroom IS a problem for my wife and daughter and most every woman I have talked to about this. I'm just tired of 99% of the people being hammered into submission by the weird fringes of society. They are the ones with the identity problems. I say we let them continue dealing with it without impacting our lives. If this is the biggest of their problems, I would say it's not that big of a problem anyway. What makes more sense? Expecting 319,000,000 people to change and feel uncomfortable or expecting 900,000 to still maybe feel a little out of place? My bet is they feel a little strange no matter which restroom they use.
I think that's more of a reflection of the people you associate with than the greater population. They're not weird, they're not "fringes" (sorry- surprise! They're everywhere!) They have ZERO identity problems. You have a problem with their identity. Your problem not theirs.
L O L.

Thanks for that, I hadn't laughed out loud like that at all yet today.

And btw, I'm not the hater you think I am (not that I particularly care what anyone thinks). I have zero problem with people who have identity issues. I have zero problem with people who choose to undergo sex change procedures. What I have a problem with is people who are actually men using women's restrooms in non-emergency situations. If some trans man or woman or it wants to come take crap next to me in Target, I don't give a flying rip. I might let lose a flying rip though.

Hey - I don't think you're a hater ... just think that certain topics make some uncomfortable, and this is one. Really the problem people have is with creepy people being in bathrooms that may be looking at you or your children or your family members in a way that's in appropriate. I guess where I get frustrated is folks that think a transgender person fits that bill. There are far more issues with creeps that 'have the right plumbing" going into a bathroom for the wrong reasons than any transgender doing so. It's fair to be worried about safety - it's unfair to say it's one particular type of person that is the one to worry about.

To be honest, the real, honest to goodness trans people are not the ones that concern me at all. But this opens the door to all the sexual deviants and criminals to get through that door by simply claiming they have "identity issues". If this gets widely adopted and accepted, how do you stop those people? I realize pedophile men can share a public restroom with young boys right now but at least we are aware of it and it is at least a little limited in scope. But if we throw the doors open in both rooms for anyone, I think it is just begging for more problems than exist now.

This is funny. People trying to solve a problem, that really isn't a problem, by coming up with all kinds of strange and expensive ideas. Is there really a problem in telling everyone, trans people included, that they are to use the restroom indicated by the plumbing they were born with? It has worked well for a long, long time, doesn't cost anything extra, and doesn't make the vast majority of people uncomfortable. Do we really need to cater to, what is it, something like .3% of the population? I say we make this just another one of "their" issues that they have to learn to deal with. Really, it's getting just plain ridiculous at this point.

Why don't we simply let them use the bathroom that they are most comfortable with? Running into a trans man in the restroom is really such a big issue for you?

No, but running into a trans man in the restroom IS a problem for my wife and daughter and most every woman I have talked to about this. I'm just tired of 99% of the people being hammered into submission by the weird fringes of society. They are the ones with the identity problems. I say we let them continue dealing with it without impacting our lives. If this is the biggest of their problems, I would say it's not that big of a problem anyway. What makes more sense? Expecting 319,000,000 people to change and feel uncomfortable or expecting 900,000 to still maybe feel a little out of place? My bet is they feel a little strange no matter which restroom they use.
I think that's more of a reflection of the people you associate with than the greater population. They're not weird, they're not "fringes" (sorry- surprise! They're everywhere!) They have ZERO identity problems. You have a problem with their identity. Your problem not theirs.
L O L.

And btw, I'm not the hater you think I am (not that I particularly care what anyone thinks). I have zero problem with people who have identity issues. I have zero problem with people who choose to undergo sex change procedures. What I have a problem with is people who are actually men using women's restrooms in non-emergency situations. If some trans man or woman or it wants to come take crap next to me in Target, I don't give a flying rip. I might let lose a flying rip though.

Hey - I don't think you're a hater ... just think that certain topics make some uncomfortable, and this is one. Really the problem people have is with creepy people being in bathrooms that may be looking at you or your children or your family members in a way that's in appropriate. I guess where I get frustrated is folks that think a transgender person fits that bill. There are far more issues with creeps that 'have the right plumbing" going into a bathroom for the wrong reasons than any transgender doing so. It's fair to be worried about safety - it's unfair to say it's one particular type of person that is the one to worry about.

To be honest, the real, honest to goodness trans people are not the ones that concern me at all. But this opens the door to all the sexual deviants and criminals to get through that door by simply claiming they have "identity issues". If this gets widely adopted and accepted, how do you stop those people? I realize pedophile men can share a public restroom with young boys right now but at least we are aware of it and it is at least a little limited in scope. But if we throw the doors open in both rooms for anyone, I think it is just begging for more problems than exist now.

Do we have any evidence that pedophiles frequently target young boys in public bathrooms? I have yet to see any statistics to suggest that this is a frequent problem.

• Fire 1

Wouldn't it be karma if your daughter tells you she doesn't really feel like a girl when she gets older? Does that change things in your head at all? She does count. As a girl now, as a woman later, as a woman who might genetically be a man whenever. Everybody counts and should be protected. Everybody.

Not karma at all and not a problem at all. I will love her no matter what. But, I still would tell her she needs to use the ladies room in public because she was born a girl, is a girl, and she should not make other people uncomfortable because of her issues. I'm pretty darned sure she would agree with me. In fact I'll ask her here in a bit and get a direct answer.

L O L.

That's fair - I'm not yet a parent, so I am asking this as a sincere question (don't want it to be misinterpreted as sarcasm). Is there ever a time that you allow your daughter to go into a Target (or other public bathroom) by herself? I think most parents that are expressing concern about this, are also the sort of involved parent that are cautious and careful and likely not allowing that anyway. I think many uneducated people who are not exposed to much socially are using the "it's a risk to our children" alarm is a distraction for their own lack of comfort. (BTW, I am a woman, so the whole man, woman safety thing is one that I live with daily - I live around, work with and have been in bathrooms with transgendered folks and it simply isn't an issue that deserves this much attention).

L O L.

Do we have any evidence that pedophiles frequently target young boys in public bathrooms? I have yet to see any statistics to suggest that this is a frequent problem.

Didn't claim it was frequent. Are you claiming it never, ever happens? What's your point?

Not karma at all and not a problem at all. I will love her no matter what. But, I still would tell her she needs to use the ladies room in public because she was born a girl, is a girl, and she should not make other people uncomfortable because of her issues. I'm pretty darned sure she would agree with me. In fact I'll ask her here in a bit and get a direct answer.

Well if I'd be uncomfortable with anything, it would be a transgendered woman living as a man coming in to the ladies room. I don't know, nor do I care what sex you were born. It just doesn't matter to me. It doesn't matter if you stand or sit to pee. And, I cringe when you say "issues". Do you really think that these folks choose to go through life with this sort of challenge? Who would want to be talked about and acted out against willingly? You would not want your daughter to be treated any differently. As a parent I know it's heartbreaking just to have your kid get hurt feelings by their friends leaving them out of activities. As a girl you're going to have to see her go through so much turmoil that's related to how people see her and treat her. BTW - I'm appreciating the cordial conversation about this rather than some of the other abrasive bullying tactics that happen on this board, so thank you.

L O L.

That's fair - I'm not yet a parent, so I am asking this as a sincere question (don't want it to be misinterpreted as sarcasm). Is there ever a time that you allow your daughter to go into a Target (or other public bathroom) by herself? I think most parents that are expressing concern about this, are also the sort of involved parent that are cautious and careful and likely not allowing that anyway. I think many uneducated people who are not exposed to much socially are using the "it's a risk to our children" alarm is a distraction for their own lack of comfort. (BTW, I am a woman, so the whole man, woman safety thing is one that I live with daily - I live around, work with and have been in bathrooms with transgendered folks and it simply isn't an issue that deserves this much attention).

Well my daughter is 16, almost 17, so yeah (he he) I'm not going in there with her now. That stopped quite awhile ago.

And, like I said, the real trans people are not the ones that concern me. I may feel they have some problems but I don't think being sexual perverts or deviants is typically one of them. I am much more concerned about men without identity problems, but rather much more disturbing tendencies, using women's restrooms. And yes I realize these types of people can now target boys in men's rooms and women perverts (although we don't hear about them often) could target girls in women's rooms. Like I said a whole bunch of posts ago, I don't think it's a huge problem either way, but simple math tells us this new way opens the door for more possibilities. IMO, society should keep public restrooms as safe as possible. This new way is less safe than the way it has been forever.

• Fire 1

Yeah, part of equal protection for different people means *not* recognizing the right to discriminate.

It means having to accept that discriminatory wishes will be done away with in this country, rather than codified. That's part of America's deal.

L O L.

Didn't claim it was frequent. Are you claiming it never, ever happens? What's your point?

My point was that it doesn't make sense to try and fix a nearly nonexistent problem.

L O L.

My point was that it doesn't make sense to try and fix a nearly nonexistent problem.

Exactly! Thank you.

I don't believe there is a problem now or, a couple months ago, before Target introduced this.

L O L.

This is exactly the issue that "progressives" stick their head in the sand and refuse to face. They are so bumfuzzled that a trans person is going to feel uncomfortable in the "wrong" bathroom. Out of one side of their mouth they state that women, who risk being abused or even freaked out by a man dressed as a woman who is only there to peep or worse, is already protected by the law so we need not worry. The they will say that TGs people can be abused if they are forced to use a bathroom with people of their birth gender. Well guess what ....there is a law for that as well protecting them from abuse. It's called assault and battery. Show me the logic of putting half the population at further risk when a much smaller % of the population can make do by looking for unisex or gender neutral bathrooms if they insist they are that uncomfortable. Spend your time encouraging businesses and governments to remodel bathrooms to be more accommodating if you must.

• Fire 2

Yeah, part of equal protection for different people means *not* recognizing the right to discriminate.

It means having to accept that discriminatory wishes will be done away with in this country, rather than codified. That's part of America's deal.

What "rights" of these trans people are being trampled now? They can use public restrooms, no? Or, they can choose to largely avoid public restrooms in most cases, just like most sane people do. Call me crazy, a person with a penis is a man in my mind. Is it really discriminatory to expect them to use the same facilities as all other people with penis'? Really, that's discrimination?

This actually makes me look forward to the day I'll be 6 feet under. People cra cra nowadays. We're just inventing ridiculous ways to create special interests anx to label thinges as discriminitory. Objective truth just doesn't seem to matter anymore. People with vaginas aren't women I guess, they're simply whatever sex they feel like identifying with on any particular day. Unbelievable this is something that needs attention.

Someone please post some articles of how these people are being harmed by using the restroom their birth sex indicates. If it's not supposed to be a big deal for the majority of society to accept members of the opposite sex in the restroom with them, why/how is it such a big problem for the few to "feel out of place"? I'm pretty sure trans people have much bigger problems to deal with than which restroom they use in public. Besides that, who is patrolling restroom use anyway. If you're a man abut look, dress and act like woman, go ahead and use the damn women's room. Nobody is gonna know anyway....unless you're going to pee standing up but that sure isn't very lady like behavior now is it? Oops, was that politically incorrect to say?

• Fire 2

they can choose to largely avoid public restrooms in most cases, just like most sane people do.

Are you saying those with gender identity issues are not sane? How small-minded of you. Are you aware it could be physiological and not simply a mental disorder or a whim?

Call me crazy, a person with a penis is a man in my mind.

Are you sure there's room in there for them?