Conference Realignment Again

http://www.thechaosindex.com/cest-la-tv-college-football-is-about-to-change-a-whole-lot-more-than-you-realize/

Perhaps this has been shared, sorry if so. It could go in the rumorville thread with the OU to B1G but I wanted you guys to see it.

Very interesting thoughts and I'm on board. If just interested in what he has to say on realignment, go check out the 2nd to last paragraph.

4 Power Conferences

4 Group of "5" conferences

Cuts the sunbelt and B12

• Fire 1

Nice he recognizes the Husker's national fan base. Also, glad we bought into the Big10 while the buying was good. Kind of cements us in one of the four remaining power conferences (if this all happens).

While we are "iffing"....an Oklahoma comes to the Big10...would that equate to annual games against the Sooners?

Nice he recognizes the Husker's national fan base. Also, glad we bought into the Big10 while the buying was good. Kind of cements us in one of the four remaining power conferences (if this all happens).

While we are "iffing"....an Oklahoma comes to the Big10...would that equate to annual games against the Sooners?

Gotta believe OU would automatically go to our side of conference. No way OSU/Mich/MSU/PSU would let the B1G add them to their already tough side.

So yes, I'd say so.

Nebraska

Iowa

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Minnesota

Illinois

Kansas

Northwestern

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

Rutgers

Play 2 non-conference games and 3 teams from opposite division

Gotta believe OU would automatically go to our side of conference. No way OSU/Mich/MSU/PSU would let the B1G add them to their already tough side.

So yes, I'd say so.

Nebraska

Iowa

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Minnesota

Illinois

Kansas

Northwestern

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

Rutgers

Well Nebraska certainly wouldn't win many basketball games.

• Fire 1

So yes, I'd say so.

Nebraska

Iowa

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Minnesota

Illinois

Kansas

Northwestern

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

Rutgers

What's different about that?

• Fire 2

So yes, I'd say so.

Nebraska

Iowa

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Minnesota

Illinois

Kansas

Northwestern

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

Maryland

Rutgers

Captain-Obvious-HotelsCom.jpg

• Fire 1

This would be fantastic:

You probably know enough about European football, er, soccer to know that the worst teams in the top flight league get bumped down a peg every year and replaced by the best teams in the second-best league. If you feel the need, read about how they do it in England. Want to (1) eliminate the weaker programs and (2) add a hell of a lot of spice to that late season Indiana-Purdue game?

Howzabout relegating the last-place team in every major conference to the mid-majors while promoting a better team?

You know what spices up otherwise boring games? Fear. Fear of getting booted off your perch is a pretty powerful motivator, and fear drives television ratings

Picture the last-place team from each power conference getting booted down a notch each year, while the champion of each mid-major takes a step up.

This would be fantastic:

You probably know enough about European football, er, soccer to know that the worst teams in the top flight league get bumped down a peg every year and replaced by the best teams in the second-best league. If you feel the need, read about how they do it in England. Want to (1) eliminate the weaker programs and (2) add a hell of a lot of spice to that late season Indiana-Purdue game?

Howzabout relegating the last-place team in every major conference to the mid-majors while promoting a better team?

You know what spices up otherwise boring games? Fear. Fear of getting booted off your perch is a pretty powerful motivator, and fear drives television ratings

Picture the last-place team from each power conference getting booted down a notch each year, while the champion of each mid-major takes a step up.

Would be fantastic, but 0% chance the power conferences ever agree to it. You really think Purdue/Indiana/Illinois/etc are going to agree to something that could (and very likely would) /drastically/ cut their revenue? lol

Would be fantastic, but 0% chance the power conferences ever agree to it. You really think Purdue/Indiana/Illinois/etc are going to agree to something that could (and very likely would) /drastically/ cut their revenue? lol

No, never. Neither are teams like Iowa State and Kansas State.

But the point of the article is, that when big money comes calling, the big schools are going to vote with their wallets. And little teams will get left behind.

Current deals are looking to pay the BIG members upwards of 30+ million a year after the new round of negotiations with Fox and ESPN. Imagine when it's 50 million. Or 60 million. Or higher. The big boys from the power 5 are going to care very little for the bottom-of-the-pack teams, or those team's votes - which likely won't even matter.

When that kind of money is on the line, the 70-80% block of fairly stable mid-major to major Power 5 teams are going to jump at the money. No one else will have a choice, because these teams will control the TV markets. If the other teams even want to sniff the television market, they'll have to play along.

And because I was interested, I went to ESPN and looked back on our conference record. Even during the "catastrophic" years we had, we still would have been completely safe from relegation. The new system would just rotate the bottom dwellers of each conference in and out. With the very occasional, and very very entertaining prospect of a mid-major being bumped every once and awhile. I'd be more likely to watch those games, than the championship!

The system still allows cinderella teams to ascend, and even win big, but they would have to put together a multi-year run. One good year by a team will get them bumped up, but the next year that team may look very different. There is always the potential that their team would be depleted by graduation, injuries, and the draft. This would make putting together a multi-year run by a lower tier team that much more difficult. I'd imagine status quo would remain pretty much the same in each league.

No, never. Neither are teams like Iowa State and Kansas State.

But the point of the article is, that when big money comes calling, the big schools are going to vote with their wallets. And little teams will get left behind.

Current deals are looking to pay the BIG members upwards of 30+ million a year after the new round of negotiations with Fox and ESPN. Imagine when it's 50 million. Or 60 million. Or higher. The big boys from the power 5 are going to care very little for the bottom-of-the-pack teams, or those team's votes - which likely won't even matter.

When that kind of money is on the line, the 70-80% block of fairly stable mid-major to major Power 5 teams are going to jump at the money. No one else will have a choice, because these teams will control the TV markets. If the other teams even want to sniff the television market, they'll have to play along.

And because I was interested, I went to ESPN and looked back on our conference record. Even during the "catastrophic" years we had, we still would have been completely safe from relegation. The new system would just rotate the bottom dwellers of each conference in and out. With the very occasional, and very very entertaining prospect of a mid-major being bumped every once and awhile. I'd be more likely to watch those games, than the championship!

The system still allows cinderella teams to ascend, and even win big, but they would have to put together a multi-year run. One good year by a team will get them bumped up, but the next year that team may look very different. There is always the potential that their team would be depleted by graduation, injuries, and the draft. This would make putting together a multi-year run by a lower tier team that much more difficult. I'd imagine status quo would remain pretty much the same in each league.

I'm all for 2- 64 team, 4 conference leagues.

Big Fish, Little Fish.

All meet in the end.

If the Big Ten can get proactive and make the OU/KU deal happen, Texas will be in the Pac 12 before Jim Delaney's ink can dry. Who they take with at this point is a mystery. I'm guessing Baylor, TCU and Okie State if the religous nuts can play nice. Tech, KSU and ISU can enjoy newfound homes in the MW and AAC. WVU will finally join the ACC.

As for the other pains in the arse, BYU will eventually have to go back to the MW since a Pac 12 invite seems like a fantasy. ND will have to admit it isn't that special anymore and pledge itself fully to the ACC since it burned it's B1G bridge. The rest of the independents will be AAC targets as will any CUSA teams they want to keep at arms length.

I don't expect much from the SEC in all this, why fix what isn't broken. Maybe they yank a couple ACC teams and beef up some sheerly for numbers sake. The ACC in turn replaces with AAC teams, the AAC has those CUSA guys on speed dial and all is right with the world.

Meanwhile we can pencil in a yearly W in Lincoln or Lawrence, and we can begin repairing the damaged series with OU.

Huh...so the big idea of this piece is adding Football-style relegation to Collegiate American Football? I like the idea, but there's no chance in hell of it happening.

Nope. The SEC and Big Ten will be waiting with crowbars to bash in the NCAA's knees if they even begin to entertain that notion.