The General Election

Interesting piece detailing why Trump doesn't like to talk about Birtherism anymore:

But in a recent interview with CNN, he said "I would love to" talk about the subject.

Trump suggested the reason why he doesn't engage in "birther" speculation anymore is because it gets too much attention, crowding out other issues.

"I don't talk about it. You know why I don't talk about it? Because once I talk about it, that's all they want to write about. So I don't ever talk about it," he told CNN in the June 14 interview.

"And I would love to," he continued. "But if I do talk about it, then what happens, is, that takes up -- then we're not talking about the horrible economy. We're not talking about real unemployment in this country, which is close to 20%, when you add all the people that have given up looking for jobs. We're not talking about ISIS. We're not talking about the things we have to talk about. So when people ask me, I just say, 'I don't talk about that anymore.'"

One of the big reasons Trump won the nomination is due to how much support he got on the Birther movement back in 2011. From the NYT story mentioned in the story above:

​Mr. Trump’s eagerness to embrace the so-called birther idea — long debunked, and until then confined to right-wing conspiracy theorists — foreshadowed how, just five years later, Mr. Trump would bedevil his rivals in the Republican presidential primary race and upend the political system.

In the birther movement, Mr. Trump recognized an opportunity to connect with the electorate over an issue many considered taboo: the discomfort, in some quarters of American society, with the election of the nation’s first black president. He harnessed it for political gain, beginning his connection with the largely white Republican base that, in his 2016 campaign, helped clinch his party’s nomination.

That's totally understandable, and not a big deal. One could easily argue (probably correctly) that those polls favor Trump.

I can't believe I'm stirring this pot, but I'm curious Shark how you could perceive these polls favor Trump and are a positive? Are you kidding me?

That's totally understandable, and not a big deal. One could easily argue (probably correctly) that those polls favor Trump.

I can't believe I'm stirring this pot, but I'm curious Shark how you could perceive these polls favor Trump and are a positive? Are you kidding me?

I believe his argument is that we shouldn't care what the rest of the world thinks. USA USA USA

I believe his argument is that we shouldn't care what the rest of the world thinks. USA USA USA

Figured as much - not sure why I keep hoping that at some point I'll really understand why people are hearing good things when he keeps saying such obvious nut-ball, wacky, horrible things.

not sure if this was posted already, but here it is anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/politics/donald-trump-star-of-david-tweet-explained/index.html

"The social media graphic used this weekend was not created by the campaign nor was it sourced from an anti-Semitic site," Scavino said in a statement separate from Trump's. "It was lifted from an anti-Hillary Twitter user where countless images appear."
"The sheriff's badge -- which is available under Microsoft's 'shapes' -- fit with the theme of corrupt Hillary and that is why I selected it," Scavino added.