The General Election

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/voters_question_clinton_s_qualifications_now_rate_trump_equal

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 22% of Likely U.S. Voters agree with Obama's statement that "there has never ever been any man or woman more qualified for this office than Hillary Clinton."

My reaction to the bold statement made by Obama: :rollin

I wonder if the over the top endorsement was a part of the agreement Lynch had wt Bill at the Phoenix airport in order to keep 'secrets' under wraps?? :sarcasm

To play Devil's Advocate, what presidential candidates have been a Senator + Secretary of State (or better) before running? Her effectiveness in those position's is certainly debatable. (She also already spent 8 years in the White House)

ELECT Bill Clinton, the candidate was wont to say during the 1992 campaign, 'and you get two for the price of one'.

If she wins, expect the "birthers" to remake themselves into "22nd Ammendment violators"

To play Devil's Advocate, what presidential candidates have been a Senator + Secretary of State (or better) before running? Her effectiveness in those position's is certainly debatable. (She also already spent 8 years in the White House)

Obama hardly went out on a limb there. Think of where some other people have been prior to assuming the office -- including Obama himself.

Plenty have been as qualified, perhaps. Many have been less. If Clinton wins the presidency, she will be in the upper echelon of smart, knowledgeable, and politically experienced US Presidents, but of course that's little consolation if you don't agree with her.

There's a reason attacks on her tend to fall in the domain of playground tactics. We, as a whole, vote more on charisma and brand than on issues and policy.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/voters_question_clinton_s_qualifications_now_rate_trump_equal

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 22% of Likely U.S. Voters agree with Obama's statement that "there has never ever been any man or woman more qualified for this office than Hillary Clinton."

My reaction to the bold statement made by Obama: :rollin

I wonder if the over the top endorsement was a part of the agreement Lynch had wt Bill at the Phoenix airport in order to keep 'secrets' under wraps?? :sarcasm

To play Devil's Advocate, what presidential candidates have been a Senator + Secretary of State (or better) before running? Her effectiveness in those positions is certainly debatable. (She also already spent 8 years in the White House)

Name all of her accomplishments in those positions and you will come up wt nothing significant. She filled a spot waiting for her turn at the top.

You don't have to look too far: Look at GHW Bush's resume and you'll find a more impressive resume - Vice President, Congressman, CIA Director, Ambassador, Military service. By saying that I don't say he was a great president by any means.

This website has an interesting ranking of the 'most qualified' presidents. Being highly qualified doesn't make one a successful president as this list bears out.

https://whatwouldspideydo.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/the-most-qualified-men-to-ever-become-president/

I've been reading autobiographies on the presidents and have recently gone through Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and now reading American Lion - about Andrew Jackson (great book whether you liked Jackson or not). So this qualification statement by Obama really caught my attention.

another interesting Q&A on the subject:

https://www.quora.com/What-presidents-had-the-most-qualified-and-impressive-background-prior-to-becoming-president-What-president-had-the-least-qualified-and-impressive-background

I can't argue wt this quote:

Arguably the most qualified was John Quincy Adams.

He witnessed the Battle of Bunker Hill, spoke five languages, was both a student and professor at Harvard, served as ambassador to six countries, negotiated the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812, was a U.S. Senator (the first of nine listed in JFK's book Profiles in Courage). Adams served as Secretary of State and wrote key portions of the Monroe Doctrine. JQA knew George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson (JQA served as Jefferson’s assistant in Paris), and James Madison. His parents were John and Abigail Adams.

With all that experience he was a generally unsuccessful one term President. Subsequent to the Presidency he argued and won the Amistad case before the Supreme Court, served in the U.S. Congress for 17 years where he fought and ultimately ended the gag rule and died on the floor fighting to abolish slavery.

Another Quote - about another Sec of State turned president:

James Buchanan

* Congressman - ten years

* Chairman, House Judiciary Committee

* Senator - eleven years

* Minister to Russia

* Minister to England

* Secretary of State

Pretty impressive resume, right? But -

Most historians rate him as the worst President to serve a full 4 year term in office.

and one more:

Isn't it astounding that Lincoln's only experience in elected office was a single term in the US House of Representative.

His only experience...what made him a known quantity for some, was his two failed attempts to win election by the Illinois state senate as a US senator (which included the Lincoln-Douglas debates,) his East Coast speaking tour (including the Cooper Union appearance) and his very well run effort to become the Republican Party's nominee.

• Fire 1

Obama hardly went out on a limb there. Think of where some other people have been prior to assuming the office -- including Obama himself.

Plenty have been as qualified, perhaps. Many have been less. If Clinton wins the presidency, she will be in the upper echelon of smart, knowledgeable, and politically experienced US Presidents, but of course that's little consolation if you don't agree with her.

There's a reason attacks on her tend to fall in the domain of playground tactics. We, as a whole, vote more on charisma and brand than on issues and policy.

Really????

Let's look at what he has said.

there has never ever been any man or woman more qualified for this office than Hillary Clinton.

Now, if you look at the Titles Clinton has...sure....she has been SoS and Senator. But, just look at just one of the prior Presidents.

1. Thomas Jefferson

As author of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Franklin’s successor as Ambassador to France, Governor of Virginia, Secretary of State and Vice-President, Thomas Jefferson is the most qualified man to ever hold the office of President. And he made sure that his good friends James Madison and James Monroe had impressive resumes when it was their turn to seek the office.

Really Obama??? Nobody has ever been more qualified? Now, yes, TJ is top on the list. But, let's go down the list a little bit.

9. Andrew Johnson

He is widely considered one of our worst Presidents, but the list of elected and appointed offices he held was actually quite impressive. The only man to ever serve in every possible local and federal elected office, Johnson served as Tennessee State Representative, Tennessee State Senator, Congressman, Governor, Senator, and Vice-President. He had also been a small-town mayor, as well as Military Governor of Tennessee during the Civil War.

So....sorry.....Just don't think she is THE MOST qualified ever. I just copied two. There are many more that are as qualified or more qualified.

I certainly don't think she is the most qualified ever, but she does have some impressive qualifications. It would be a mistake not to point those out against her competition. Obama is being a little hyperbolic, it seems.

How about, "in modern times"?

I feel like we're splitting hairs here. She is eminently qualified; that's the point, and not how Hillary stacks up with each of the founding fathers. I'd say there are other people in the country who are also eminently qualified. None of them are also in the running, however.

I'd agree that political endorsements tend to be given to hyperbole.

I certainly don't think she is the most qualified ever, but she does have some impressive qualifications. It would be a mistake not to point those out against her competition. Obama is being a little hyperbolic, it seems.

How about, "in modern times"?

I feel like we're splitting hairs here. She is eminently qualified; that's the point, and not how Hillary stacks up with each of the founding fathers. I'd say there are other people in the country who are also eminently qualified. None of them are also in the running, however.

I'd agree that political endorsements tend to be given to hyperbole.

Yes, Obama is being hyperbolic and that's what is being pointed out. As typical in elections, he greatly exaggerated to make a point where he really didn't need to exaggerate.

Yes, if you look at the titles she has held, she is qualified for the job. Now, we can argue all we want about the accomplishments while in those positions. But...hey....maybe Obama just meant she is much more qualified than the democrat candidate the last two years. (TRUE)

Now, if you just look at modern times, I would say it depends on how you view the job of governor. Personally, I think being a governor is much more like being President than being a Senator. That said, I would possibly list these modern President's more qualified.

14. George HW Bush

He had an interesting biography before his eight years as Vice-President. After a successful career as a Houston oil man and an unsuccessful bid for Senate, he was a busier than usual two-term Congressman, first considered as a potential Nixon running mate after just two years in the House. After his second failed Senate bid, he became Chairman of the RNC and Director of the CIA. His most significant duty prior to national office may have been his role as unofficial ambassador to China at a consequential time.

17. Richard Nixon

He was considered the first modern Vice President, due to the responsibilities he held in the Eisenhower administration. He was simply the most prominent VP since John Adams, chairing Cabinet and National Security Council meetings during Eisenhower’s absences, defending America’s industrial accomplishments in a debate with Khrushchev, and undertaking several major foreign trips. Before that, he had a notable six-year career as a young virulently anti-communist bomb-thrower in Congress.

And, there are ex governors such as Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter....etc.
But...yes....hyperbole is at a very high level with Obama's statement.

If we're into dissecting the words of Obama, perhaps Clinton is not the most qualified candidate ever. But then you're missing the point.

Can any reasonable person compare the resumes of her and Trump and find any legitimate way in which he's more qualified to run the executive branch of government?

Johnson as well. He has executive experience, but no other political chops. The breadth of Clinton's experience in government may be more valuable, with the amount of time she's spent working in and with the federal government.

If you want to talk about subjective view of her performance, that is a legitimate conversation. But the qualification is there by way of the experience at the very least.

• Fire 1

If we're into dissecting the words of Obama, perhaps Clinton is not the most qualified candidate ever. But then you're missing the point.

Can any reasonable person compare the resumes of her and Trump and find any legitimate way in which he's more qualified to run the executive branch of government?

Johnson as well. He has executive experience, but no other political chops. The breadth of Clinton's experience in government may be more valuable, with the amount of time she's spent working in and with the federal government.

If you want to talk about subjective view of her performance, that is a legitimate conversation. But the qualification is there by way of the experience at the very least.

Well for starters, if Hillary failed at running one department of the government (the state department) why in heck does she deserve a promotion. She botched Benghazi then lied to the families and the American people about what really happened. ISIS has grown and thrived under her watch, and is now a major threat at home and abroad. As Carly Fiorina put it, activities are not results, and just because she has been living off our tax dollars for a salary does not mean she is qualified to lead the executive branch. We have seen the incompetence of having Obama in the White House who had zero executive experience prior to becoming the POTUS. Now I don't love Trump but he has way more executive experience than Obama and Hillary combined.

Johnson - 8 years as governor and Started his own business which became one of New Mexico's largest construction companies with over 1000 employees.

Clinton - 8 years in the senate and 4 years as Secretary of State.

Hmmmmm.....I fail to see by her resume that she is head and shoulders above him.

• Fire 1