The General Election

Election Update: Is Gary Johnson Taking More Support From Clinton Or Trump?

And interesting read - covers a lot of ground.

The recently released tracking and weekly national polls, conducted by firms such as Ipsos, Morning Consult, SurveyMonkey and YouGov, continue to show Democrat Hillary Clinton ahead of Republican Donald Trump (with the exception of the Republican-leaning Rasmussen Reports). A new Pew Research Center poll also has Clinton ahead of Trump 45 percent to 36 percent, with Libertarian Gary Johnson at 11 percent.

Right now, pollsters that include Johnson and, less frequently, Stein are showing Clinton with a slightly smaller lead than pollsters that test only Trump and Clinton.

Overall, including third-party candidates takes about 1 percentage point away from Clinton’s margin, on average.

An average of YouGov surveys over the past two weeks indicates that Sanders primary voters who say they will vote for a third-party candidate are, by about a 3-to-1 ratio, more likely to choose Clinton than Trump when the third-party candidates aren’t an option. A full-throated Sanders endorsement could push many of these voters into the Clinton column, even with third-party candidates on the ballot. Their shift would make Clinton’s margin over Trump in the national polls about the same with third-party candidates as without.

LINK

I'm not surprised at this. Right now, most Trump followers are full steam ahead with blinders and ear plugs on. Since the primaries are over, a number of Repub voters jumped on the band wagon just because he has an R beside his name and it's all about how evil Hillary is.

Then, there are the Clinton/Democrats that are going to vote for her because she is the Democrat nominee. These people tend to still believe everything Repub is destroying anything good in the world and only supporting those evil corporations.

Then there are the middle people who either don't like both or just haven't decided. Mostly, they don't like what they see from either side. But, I think the majority of these people are much less comfortable with a blowhard egomaniac in Trump than a dishonest and corrupted life long politician in Clinton. So, they may tend to lean towards Clinton if only given those choices.

However, these are also the people who are more likely to have an open mind to a third option. So, if you throw someone like Johnson in, some of those will go to him instead of Clinton.

That's EXACTLY what the other side is doing too.

Are you saying the Trump side isn't?

Reading are good

Is it surprising to anyone that Donald Trump not only had multiple affairs with married women -- while married himself -- he saw fit to brag about it in his autobiography?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/27/christians-cringe-at-donald-trump-s-sexy-past.html

Don't care, myself, but Republicans and evangelical Christians might want to start scuttling off that moral high ground.

I have no idea why Trump won or tied the Evangelical vote in many of the primaries as I would prefer someone with a better personal compass. With that said, I do expect many of those Evangelicals who did not support him in the primaries to get on board as we are down to two deeply flawed candidates, and Trump at least offers a chance to reverse the negative direction this country has been on for years. Hillary will simply offer more of the same. Thus, I do now expect many of those Evangelicals that did not support Trump in the primary to get on board the Trump train.

Seriously. I need a Republican to walk me through the negatives that define the negative direction we're heading down, so we can figure out how they happened, how to stop them and/or whether they are actually bad.

And I need a good Christian to help me figure out why so many followers of Christ are opposed to feeding the hungry, helping the sick and loving thy neighbor, and instead support candidates who embrace guns, wage war and invite the money lenders INTO the temple.

You are starting to sound like Trump by making extreme outlandish statements as a starting point for debating points. With that said, I will take the bait. :)

Regarding the negative direction we are facing, here are my 4 biggest concerns facing our nation.

1. ISIS-As I pointed out in another thread, according to Obama's own CIA director, ISIS has grown 4400% under his watch. While he's taken out Bin Laden and other terror targets, we face a greater threat against terrorism today then when he took office.

2. Economic growth/Jobs-Obama certainly inherited a tough economic climate when he took office, so it's great that we've seen some improvement, but to me there is so much more possibility with our economy, and under his watch, more people have actually stopped working and dropped out of the labor force (meaning they are more dependent on social services), and the labor participation rate is the lowest since the Carter days. I would note that of all the past 5 Presidents, I think Reagan, Bush 43, and Obama inherited the worst situations, while Bush 41 and Clinton inherited the best. To me Bush 43 had the most difficult climate his first year dealing with a recession that Clinton left him, the Enron scandal and collapsing financial markets, and then 9/11. Anyone who would expect to see positive economic metrics (jobs, GDP growth) in his first 3 years in office simply is not being realistic.

http://dailysignal.com/2012/09/07/two-huge-flaws-in-the-legend-of-the-clinton-economy/

3. National Debt-Members of both parties are to blame for our national debt, but CBO predictions show that the rise in national debt in the coming years is going to explode even more than it has the past 10 years. Obamacare has made this rise in national debt worse.

4. Racial Tensions-Under Obama's watch, Racial Tensions have gotten worse, whether its the Ferguson Riots or the Baltimore riots or other acts. Polling supports that racial tensions have gotten worse. I liked what Obama said in 2008 that we are one America, and he would bring us together, but instead he's done the opposite, taking a divided nation and making it more divided.

As for your comments about Christians, that's just ridiculous. I know we attend church every week and participate in programs to feed the hungry both in the US and around the world. We are constantly doing reachout activities to our local communities. And that is common across many Christian denominations. The difference is that Christian Conservatives do not feel its the Government's role to provide for all. Does this mean that the government should provide no social services...no, but when asked about increasing the size of government to pay for more citizens to be dependent on government, most Christians and Conservatives in general are going to oppose that.

I could pose the same question to you. Hillary and Obama claim to be Christian. If that is the case, why are they proponents of abortion. I heard Hillary say in a speech a few weeks ago "I'm Pro-abortion."

Someone had asked me to comment on what I felt Obama's biggest failures were over the past 7 years, and I posted this about a month ago before the Orlando terror attack and the events from this past week (LA, MN, and in Dallas). It's unfortunate that the trend for items 1 and 4 are getting worse. I'm not saying Obama can take all the blame for the growing race divide and increase in terror attacks, but I think his lack of leadership in these areas has really hurt the cause. Regarding race relations, if Obama could have followed in the footsteps of MLK Jr this country would be a lot better off. MLK was such a great man with a great message and really brought people together.

Is it surprising to anyone that Donald Trump not only had multiple affairs with married women -- while married himself -- he saw fit to brag about it in his autobiography?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/27/christians-cringe-at-donald-trump-s-sexy-past.html

Don't care, myself, but Republicans and evangelical Christians might want to start scuttling off that moral high ground.

I have no idea why Trump won or tied the Evangelical vote in many of the primaries as I would prefer someone with a better personal compass. With that said, I do expect many of those Evangelicals who did not support him in the primaries to get on board as we are down to two deeply flawed candidates, and Trump at least offers a chance to reverse the negative direction this country has been on for years. Hillary will simply offer more of the same. Thus, I do now expect many of those Evangelicals that did not support Trump in the primary to get on board the Trump train.

Seriously. I need a Republican to walk me through the negatives that define the negative direction we're heading down, so we can figure out how they happened, how to stop them and/or whether they are actually bad.

And I need a good Christian to help me figure out why so many followers of Christ are opposed to feeding the hungry, helping the sick and loving thy neighbor, and instead support candidates who embrace guns, wage war and invite the money lenders INTO the temple.

You are starting to sound like Trump by making extreme outlandish statements as a starting point for debating points. With that said, I will take the bait. :)

Regarding the negative direction we are facing, here are my 4 biggest concerns facing our nation.

1. ISIS-As I pointed out in another thread, according to Obama's own CIA director, ISIS has grown 4400% under his watch. While he's taken out Bin Laden and other terror targets, we face a greater threat against terrorism today then when he took office.

2. Economic growth/Jobs-Obama certainly inherited a tough economic climate when he took office, so it's great that we've seen some improvement, but to me there is so much more possibility with our economy, and under his watch, more people have actually stopped working and dropped out of the labor force (meaning they are more dependent on social services), and the labor participation rate is the lowest since the Carter days. I would note that of all the past 5 Presidents, I think Reagan, Bush 43, and Obama inherited the worst situations, while Bush 41 and Clinton inherited the best. To me Bush 43 had the most difficult climate his first year dealing with a recession that Clinton left him, the Enron scandal and collapsing financial markets, and then 9/11. Anyone who would expect to see positive economic metrics (jobs, GDP growth) in his first 3 years in office simply is not being realistic.

http://dailysignal.com/2012/09/07/two-huge-flaws-in-the-legend-of-the-clinton-economy/

3. National Debt-Members of both parties are to blame for our national debt, but CBO predictions show that the rise in national debt in the coming years is going to explode even more than it has the past 10 years. Obamacare has made this rise in national debt worse.

4. Racial Tensions-Under Obama's watch, Racial Tensions have gotten worse, whether its the Ferguson Riots or the Baltimore riots or other acts. Polling supports that racial tensions have gotten worse. I liked what Obama said in 2008 that we are one America, and he would bring us together, but instead he's done the opposite, taking a divided nation and making it more divided.

As for your comments about Christians, that's just ridiculous. I know we attend church every week and participate in programs to feed the hungry both in the US and around the world. We are constantly doing reachout activities to our local communities. And that is common across many Christian denominations. The difference is that Christian Conservatives do not feel its the Government's role to provide for all. Does this mean that the government should provide no social services...no, but when asked about increasing the size of government to pay for more citizens to be dependent on government, most Christians and Conservatives in general are going to oppose that.

I could pose the same question to you. Hillary and Obama claim to be Christian. If that is the case, why are they proponents of abortion. I heard Hillary say in a speech a few weeks ago "I'm Pro-abortion."

Someone had asked me to comment on what I felt Obama's biggest failures were over the past 7 years, and I posted this about a month ago before the Orlando terror attack and the events from this past week (LA, MN, and in Dallas). It's unfortunate that the trend for items 1 and 4 are getting worse. I'm not saying Obama can take all the blame for the growing race divide and increase in terror attacks, but I think his lack of leadership in these areas has really hurt the cause. Regarding race relations, if Obama could have followed in the footsteps of MLK Jr this country would be a lot better off. MLK was such a great man with a great message and really brought people together.

The problem for Obama is that he views two things as fundamental to the problems we're having with race relations and domestic terrorism:

1) Racial inequality seen both systemically within the criminal justice system, and broadly in a lot of other aspects of life.

2) The need for some common sense gun reforms the majority of Americans support.

It's tough for him to be told "Bring us together, lead us during crisis... but oh yeah, forget about what you think is the underlying problem." He can't just ignore it. It's the hulking 800 pound gorilla in the room.

MLK Jr. was indeed a great leader, but he dreamed of a day when all people were viewed and treated as equals. We haven't gotten there yet.

• Fire 1

Ernst has said she has a spot. We'll see if Don King makes an appearance. Tyson, Brady, and Ditka have all declined. I'm sure the other Trump kids will get slots as well.

I've heard Cruz will be speaking, as well as Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Marsha Blackburn. I would guess Newt will speak if he is not the VP pick. I think Jim Webb would be a great surprise to have speak, and I'm sure Trump will have some other speakers that are not your everyday politician. I could see John Bolton, Rudy Guiliani, general Robert Gates and others also speaking and focusing on the failures in foreign policy and the need to have a new leader to fight terrorism.

The problem for Obama is that he views two things as fundamental to the problems we're having with race relations and domestic terrorism:

1) Racial inequality seen both systemically within the criminal justice system, and broadly in a lot of other aspects of life.

2) The need for some common sense gun reforms the majority of Americans support.

It's tough for him to be told "Bring us together, lead us during crisis... but oh yeah, forget about what you think is the underlying problem." He can't just ignore it. It's the hulking 800 pound gorilla in the room.

MLK Jr. was indeed a great leader, but he dreamed of a day when all people were viewed and treated as equals. We haven't gotten there yet.

Great post. I heard the Chicago police chief discuss this past weekend how the criminal justice system is not keeping the bad guys off the streets. I am all for making sure we do not have gaps in our gun control legislation, but with that said, it takes a bad person to want to do these acts, and the cause of what makes these people bad can be multiple things including:

1. Bad parenting and broken homes

2. Lack of accountability in public schools to prevent a bad seed from getting worse.

3. Overabundance of violence on television, in movies, video games, music, etc...

4. Access to drugs and alcohol that can contribute to bad behaviors.

These are not easy things to change by any means. To change the organizational culture at a large company is a huge undertaking, but to do it for the size of the United States will take years and will require commitment by all Americans.

• Fire 2

I would be much more concerned about people in her security detail referring to her as a bitch because that would tend to be a comment on her actions privately and how she may treat people on a personal basis.

Such as secret service members writing about their personal accounts with them?

I'm not sure if you've read those or not, but if not, you need to. One (maybe more) even wrote a book about what he saw and heard during the Clinton presidency, and it paints an ugly picture. For all the people who call Trump the egomaniac and the one who lacks temperament (which I disagree with personally, but whatever) between the two, Hillary is WAY worse than anyone would care to believe...

Hell to Pay: The unfolding story of Hillary Rodham Clinton by Barbara Olson.

The author was on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC on 9/11

You know this is the real reason 911 happened right? Hillary & Bill didn't like what she wrote and the liberal media covered the whole thing up. (kidding of course, but I can't believe that hasn't been a headline).

I would be much more concerned about people in her security detail referring to her as a bitch because that would tend to be a comment on her actions privately and how she may treat people on a personal basis.

I'm not sure if you've read those or not, but if not, you need to. One (maybe more) even wrote a book about what he saw and heard during the Clinton presidency, and it paints an ugly picture. For all the people who call Trump the egomaniac and the one who lacks temperament (which I disagree with personally, but whatever) between the two, Hillary is WAY worse than anyone would care to believe...

You know this is the real reason 911 happened right? Hillary & Bill didn't like what she wrote and the liberal media covered the whole thing up. (kidding of course, but I can't believe that hasn't been a headline).

Some whackos did propose this

Some whackos did propose this

Not surprised at all.

Election Update: Is Gary Johnson Taking More Support From Clinton Or Trump?

And interesting read - covers a lot of ground.

The recently released tracking and weekly national polls, conducted by firms such as Ipsos, Morning Consult, SurveyMonkey and YouGov, continue to show Democrat Hillary Clinton ahead of Republican Donald Trump (with the exception of the Republican-leaning Rasmussen Reports). A new Pew Research Center poll also has Clinton ahead of Trump 45 percent to 36 percent, with Libertarian Gary Johnson at 11 percent.

Right now, pollsters that include Johnson and, less frequently, Stein are showing Clinton with a slightly smaller lead than pollsters that test only Trump and Clinton.

Overall, including third-party candidates takes about 1 percentage point away from Clinton’s margin, on average.

An average of YouGov surveys over the past two weeks indicates that Sanders primary voters who say they will vote for a third-party candidate are, by about a 3-to-1 ratio, more likely to choose Clinton than Trump when the third-party candidates aren’t an option. A full-throated Sanders endorsement could push many of these voters into the Clinton column, even with third-party candidates on the ballot. Their shift would make Clinton’s margin over Trump in the national polls about the same with third-party candidates as without.

LINK

I'm not surprised at this. Right now, most Trump followers are full steam ahead with blinders and ear plugs on. Since the primaries are over, a number of Repub voters jumped on the band wagon just because he has an R beside his name and it's all about how evil Hillary is.

Then, there are the Clinton/Democrats that are going to vote for her because she is the Democrat nominee. These people tend to still believe everything Repub is destroying anything good in the world and only supporting those evil corporations.

Then there are the middle people who either don't like both or just haven't decided. Mostly, they don't like what they see from either side. But, I think the majority of these people are much less comfortable with a blowhard egomaniac in Trump than a dishonest and corrupted life long politician in Clinton. So, they may tend to lean towards Clinton if only given those choices.

However, these are also the people who are more likely to have an open mind to a third option. So, if you throw someone like Johnson in, some of those will go to him instead of Clinton.

That's EXACTLY what the other side is doing too.

Yep, the other side doesn't seem to see or care how flawed Hillary would be a President. The Trump supporters gloss over his major shortcomings. Gary Johnson is looking better every day.

TG - why do I feel like spooning with you - ALLEGEDLY

:ahhhhhhhh

New Republic: There will be blood

What are you doing, America.

And another one, on another Trump rally: https://newrepublic.com/article/134329/american-horror-story

A select passage, and useful musing:

Trump can be defeated, and most likely he will be, but elections cannot cure this disease. It’s always been here and perhaps it always will be. Trump’s narcissistic quest to “Make America Great Again” has only drawn the insects to the surface, and there’s plenty of room to wonder whether he’s driving the movement or if it’s driving him.

And another one, on another Trump rally: https://newrepublic.com/article/134329/american-horror-story

Trump can be defeated, and most likely he will be, but elections cannot cure this disease. It’s always been here and perhaps it always will be. Trump’s narcissistic quest to “Make America Great Again” has only drawn the insects to the surface, and there’s plenty of room to wonder whether he’s driving the movement or if it’s driving him.

This is another example at how a good man and a bad man think differently. Remember when at a McCain stump someone yelled "can't trust him because he's an arab" about Obama and he stopped and said, "no, he's a good family man, we just disagree politically". Can you ever, ever imagine Trump not using that moment to fan the flames? Guess it says a lot when Drumpf refers to McCain as a coward due to his POW status. He's an embarrassment, and so are the moths that follow him and recite his rhetoric.

• Fire 1

This is another example at how a good man and a bad man think differently. Remember when at a McCain stump someone yelled "can't trust him because he's an arab" about Obama and he stopped and said, "no, he's a good family man, we just disagree politically". Can you ever, ever imagine Trump not using that moment to fan the flames? Guess it says a lot when Drumpf refers to McCain as a coward due to his POW status. He's an embarrassment, and so are the moths that follow him and recite his rhetoric.

I mentioned Biden yesterday. What I wouldn't give for McCain to be the Republican nominee right now... that sounds like a dream come true. Except he's 79 :P.

• Fire 1