The General Election

New Republic: There will be blood

What are you doing, America.

And another one, on another Trump rally: https://newrepublic.com/article/134329/american-horror-story

A select passage, and useful musing:

Trump can be defeated, and most likely he will be, but elections cannot cure this disease. It’s always been here and perhaps it always will be. Trump’s narcissistic quest to “Make America Great Again” has only drawn the insects to the surface, and there’s plenty of room to wonder whether he’s driving the movement or if it’s driving him.

This is another example at how a good man and a bad man think differently. Remember when at a McCain stump someone yelled "can't trust him because he's an arab" about Obama and he stopped and said, "no, he's a good family man, we just disagree politically". Can you ever, ever imagine Trump not using that moment to fan the flames? Guess it says a lot when Drumpf refers to McCain as a coward due to his POW status. He's an embarrassment, and so are the moths that follow him and recite his rhetoric.

I mentioned Biden yesterday. What I wouldn't give for McCain to be the Republican nominee right now... that sounds like a dream come true. Except he's 79 :P.

Right? A good man. I'd take either. I can't wait to see who is selected as VP running mates.

And another one, on another Trump rally: https://newrepublic.com/article/134329/american-horror-story

Trump can be defeated, and most likely he will be, but elections cannot cure this disease. It’s always been here and perhaps it always will be. Trump’s narcissistic quest to “Make America Great Again” has only drawn the insects to the surface, and there’s plenty of room to wonder whether he’s driving the movement or if it’s driving him.

This is another example at how a good man and a bad man think differently. Remember when at a McCain stump someone yelled "can't trust him because he's an arab" about Obama and he stopped and said, "no, he's a good family man, we just disagree politically". Can you ever, ever imagine Trump not using that moment to fan the flames? Guess it says a lot when Drumpf refers to McCain as a coward due to his POW status. He's an embarrassment, and so are the moths that follow him and recite his rhetoric.

I mentioned Biden yesterday. What I wouldn't give for McCain to be the Republican nominee right now... that sounds like a dream come true. Except he's 79 :P.

So are you shooting down my write in campaign: Knapp for Prez?

Neither Biden nor McCain have the intellectual horsepower to sit in that chair. People seem to have amnesia about some of Biden's really crazy past positions, and I'm not talking about his regular oafish foot in the mouth moments.

Either of them has 4x the intellectual horsepower than one of the nominees.

Neither Biden nor McCain have the intellectual horsepower to sit in that chair. People seem to have amnesia about some of Biden's really crazy past positions, and I'm not talking about his regular oafish foot in the mouth moments.

That's not the point. The point is Biden > Clinton or Trump

I'd vote for knapp. I'd try to be his Secretary of State and I'd only use hotmail with the password 1234SOS

• Fire 1

I'd vote for knapp. I'd try to be his Secretary of State and I'd only use hotmail with the password 1234SOS

If we're going to do this, let's get coordinated about it. We need some professionalism, people!

Would it be "Knapp" or the proper "Knapplc" that we put on the ballot? Gotta make sure we're not splitting our efforts.

Krugman: All the Trump enablers

The modern Republican Party is, in essence, a machine designed to deliver high after-tax incomes to the 1 percent. Mr. Ryan, for instance, has never been willing to make the rich pay so much as a dime more in taxes. Comforting the comfortable is what it’s all about.

But not many voters are interested in that goal. So the party has prospered by harnessing racial hostility, which it has not-discreetly encouraged for decades.

I think this is a fairly accurate summary, and it's demonstrably playing out right now. Whether you agree that the GOP should or shouldn't be pursuing that policy, Trump has revealed just how much their voter base doesn't actually care (as a whole) about GOP orthodoxy.

We also wouldn’t have gotten to this point if so many people outside the GOP — such as journalists and “centrists” — hadn’t refused to acknowledge what was happening.

Political analysts who talked about the GOP transformation, like Norman Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute, were effectively ostracized. The respectable, “balanced” thing was to pretend that the parties were symmetric.

I think it was fairly surprising to us all, to be fair. I mean, one of these days, maybe someone with a libertarian view of climate policy will capture the Dem ticket -- and then reveal that the liberal base doesn't, as a whole, care that much about scientific literacy and international efforts.

Voter coalitions are diverse and they're propelled by strong motivators. I just don't see how academic preferences on what is sound economic policy, for example, will ever be a strong motivator compared to anger and disenchantment.

• Fire 1

I think that's fairly evident at this point, Zoogs. Would Trump have his massive following if they were people that cared that much about principles and sound policy?

You're right that it cuts both ways. Case in point: The Dems adopting a $15/hr federal minimum wage. Is it sound econoimically? Not at all. But it's the populist, progressive stance du jour and hell of a lot more of an exciting sell than "We want an increase that is reasonable, like $12/hr, with the ability for areas with higher COL to raise it if they so choose."

Emotion is necessary to drive turnout. One cannot run and win on sound policy alone, no matter how flawless and intelligent it is.

There appears to be a real melding of the minds in our party right now. This weekend is the final meeting to draw up the policy and suddenly this story floats out there:

I find it hilarious that one side insults the other when both candidates are historically pathetic. I can't imagine the country ever having a worse two candidates to choose from. I just hope that whoever wins loses in 4 years if they haven't destroyed what is left of this country by then.

I know Obama inherited a rough financial situation in his Presidency, but he has really made a mess of things, and it just keeps getting worse. Whether its terrorism or the growing racial divide, he has time and again shown he is completely incompetent and unfit to be the POTUS. With the events from the past week, or over the course of his administration, Obama continues to stoke the fire by putting most of his energy and passion in lambasting tragedies where minorities are the victims, but failing to show that same passion when the roles are reversed. He makes claims that blacks are arrested at twice the rate as whites, but leaves out an important fact from his own department of labor that blacks commit murder at 6 times the rate of whites. When some on here ask how he can be responsible for the growing racial divide that has occurred under his administration and has led to the black lives vs blue lives matter, it's his reaction and rhetoric that fuel the fire. On multiple occasions BLM protesters have chanted that they want dead cops, and there has been no passionate outrage from Obama against these demonstrators...none. If someone can show me a clip where Obama has passionately addressed the BLM movement and their hateful rhetoric I would like to see it.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/08/obama-should-stop-smearing-cops-by-calling-them-racist/

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/obamas-double-standard-race-16910

Why does Obama continue to take these steps which he knows will deepen the divide in this country? Because its good for his politics. Every decision he makes is through the lens of what will benefit him or his party politically, whether its class warfare or racial warfare. He is seeking to energize his coalition of supporters that may not want to give him a 3rd term vis-a-vis HIllary, and by getting his supporters amped up over being victims, he is hoping it will pay off at the ballot box. And it looks like HIllary is starting to follow his lead and is speaking out against whites claiming they are not willing to listen to blacks.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/08/hillary-clinton-blame-whites-cops-shooting-deaths-young-black-men/

2016 is a culmination of 7 years of complete ineptness by a man who had zero leadership experience prior to becoming the POTUS. I hope and pray that things will change and this toxic environment can become even just a bit less toxic.

• Fire 1

“The data and the facts lead to an inescapable conclusion: that every child deserves a married mom and dad. The reality remains that millions of American families do not have the advantages that come with that structure. We honor the courageous efforts of those who bear the burdens of parenting alone and embrace the principle that all Americans should be treated with dignity and respect. But respect is not enough. Our laws and our government’s regulations should recognize marriage as the union of one man and one woman and actively promote married family life as the basis of a stable and prosperous society. For that reason, as explained elsewhere in the platform, we do not accept the Supreme Court’s redefinition of marriage and we urge its reversal, whether through judicial reconsideration or a constitutional amendment returning control over marriage to states.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

It will be interesting to see how Trump handles this.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/voters_question_clinton_s_qualifications_now_rate_trump_equal

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 22% of Likely U.S. Voters agree with Obama's statement that "there has never ever been any man or woman more qualified for this office than Hillary Clinton."

My reaction to the bold statement made by Obama: :rollin

I wonder if the over the top endorsement was a part of the agreement Lynch had wt Bill at the Phoenix airport in order to keep 'secrets' under wraps?? :sarcasm

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/voters_question_clinton_s_qualifications_now_rate_trump_equal

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 22% of Likely U.S. Voters agree with Obama's statement that "there has never ever been any man or woman more qualified for this office than Hillary Clinton."

I wonder if the over the top endorsement was a part of the agreement Lynch had wt Bill at the Phoenix airport in order to keep 'secrets' under wraps?? :sarcasm

That's obviously an entirely political statement, akin to "coach speak", and should be treated as such. He has to say that.

To play Devil's Advocate, what presidential candidates have been a Senator + Secretary of State (or better) before running? Her effectiveness in those positions is certainly debatable. (She also already spent 8 years in the White House)

• Fire 1