I'll say it.

its been 8 years since the huskers hosted a regional and 9-years since they have won more than 1 game in a regional. also, i think getting to a regional and being competitive year in and year out in the Big 10 will be all Erstad coached teams are capable of. i think he has done a reasonable job with recruiting, but has not been stellar. as long as the fans keep coming out and filling the ball park (which i am almost certain they will) then i don't think he should be fired. hell, how long did they keep Tony Sharpe and John Sanders around? Sharpe's teams, for the most part, were crap. after some initial success in his early years, Sanders did nothing, as well. a coach like Van Horn was probably once in a lifetime type thing for the Big Red. They couldn't keep him and the program has fallen into mediocrity. we could get on the coaching carousel and fire Erstad; bring in another guy and fire him in 5 years; wash, rinse, repeat. Erstad seems to have the kids go to class, fires them up for the occasional run, and seems to know all their names.

Sanders was around for 20 years, 9 of which was 40+ seasons (went down hill in his later years). That was a different time, though.

he might have had nine 40+ wins seasons, but a couple of those teams has losing records in Big 8 league play. helps when you schedule the likes of Wyoming, Tarkio, and st. cloud state, the win totals go up in a hurry.

lol, yeah, that is very true.. just like this teams run in the big 10 (weak teams), but now it doesn't matter?

Middle and bottom feeding big 10 teams are no comparison to scheduling teams that are one step above high school - Erstad has scheduled his non-conference games to be as tough as they get. Last year the big 10 was up / this year down. Coach has no control over that and within the next 2/3 years we will probably talk about how the big ten was having a cycle up. As mentioned above, the kids seem to be getting educated, playing decent ball and the fans keep coming. Erstad is around until those trends change or he decides he has a different passion.

What's missing - mental toughness! This team would play great one day & bad the next. Striking out with a runner on 3rd and 1 out can not happened as much as it has. This has been an issue for the last couple of years. We need a hitting coach.

I'll agree with the mental toughness, and save for volleyball, it's not just baseball that is deficient in this category.

Said this before, but after we let go of our Sports Psychologist from our run in the 1990s, we've been deficient in this department and have never replaced or improved on what we had there--quite the opposite, really.

Beef up/improve our sports psychology department and staff, and we'll see dividends across all sports.

I'm honestly really surprised we haven't been dominating this conference in this sport.

Agreed. There's really no excuse for not coming in at or very near the top every year for this conference.

Hell, I could see a drop-off now and again...but for us to be floundering around like we have been...it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Erstad's tenure.

While Erstad has done a decent job of recruiting I still think he misses on too many in-state kids. Now I realize the Stobbe kid was never going to end up at whatever school he chose but him choosing Arkansas over NU is not a good sign. There were 2 other kids on the all-state team that I know of that are headed to KU and Tulane on scholarships that are from Omaha. There's some pretty good baseball talent in the Metro area and I'm not sure how many of those kids even want to play for NU right now. Obviously back in the CWS run there were a couple kids here and there that went elsewhere (Werhle kids come to mind) but NU got quite a few of the kids that were in-state.

If Erstad can keep the kids in-state and away from Creighton I think that will help us quite a bit. The kids in the Metro can play some high level baseball.

While Erstad has done a decent job of recruiting I still think he misses on too many in-state kids. Now I realize the Stobbe kid was never going to end up at whatever school he chose but him choosing Arkansas over NU is not a good sign. There were 2 other kids on the all-state team that I know of that are headed to KU and Tulane on scholarships that are from Omaha. There's some pretty good baseball talent in the Metro area and I'm not sure how many of those kids even want to play for NU right now. Obviously back in the CWS run there were a couple kids here and there that went elsewhere (Werhle kids come to mind) but NU got quite a few of the kids that were in-state.

If Erstad can keep the kids in-state and away from Creighton I think that will help us quite a bit. The kids in the Metro can play some high level baseball.

Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain were also two in-staters that turned out to be alright.

Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain were also two in-staters that turned out to be alright.

For sure. I was more referring to the kids that have come around lately that have went elsewhere that Erstad has missed on.

For sure. I was more referring to the kids that have come around lately that have went elsewhere that Erstad has missed on.
Ah, I see. My bad

Ah, I see. My bad
Jake Meyers and the Waldron twins say hello.
  • Fire 1