So, I started playing this game in alpha called Rust. There are some things I really love about it. You start out buck naked with a rock and a torch. You can design your own base. Or multiple bases. You learn blueprints to make more advanced things for your base, or more advanced weapons. You can hunt animals for food and cloth to make your own clothes. There are air drops from helicopters and planes and there's radiation in some areas. It's a post apocalyptic world but you never really find out what happened. You're just trying to survive.

The trouble with it is the player base is a bunch of jerkfaces. Most of the time the other players just shoot you without question. Every so often you can talk your way out of being shot and only have to give half your crap to them. The only way to do really well is to play with a bunch of other people on a team or clan. The fact it's so challenging trying to hide from the other players and not get killed is kind of fun in its own way but it can be incredibly frustrating when you're just starting out in the game and they have rocket launchers and machine guns vs your wooden spear.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for games like this where you either can't kill the other players, or there are specific pvp zones/safe zones, or the player base isn't a bunch of a**holes.

Sounds like an episode

So, I started playing this game in alpha called Rust. There are some things I really love about it. You start out naked with a rock and a torch. You can design your own base. Or multiple bases. You learn blueprints to make more advanced things for your base, or more advanced weapons. You can hunt animals for food and cloth to make your own clothes. There are air drops from helicopters and planes and there's radiation in some areas. It's a post apocalyptic world but you never really find out what happened. You're just trying to survive.

The trouble with it is the player base is a bunch of jerkfaces. Most of the time the other players just shoot you without question. Every so often you can talk your way out of being shot and only have to give half your crap to them. The only way to do really well is to play with a bunch of other people on a team or clan. The fact it's so challenging trying to hide from the other players and not get killed is kind of fun in its own way but it can be incredibly frustrating when you're just starting out in the game and they have rocket launchers and machine guns vs your wooden spear.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for games like this where you either can't kill the other players, or there are specific pvp zones/safe zones, or the player base isn't a bunch of a**holes.

Sounds like 'The Walking Dead' season 6

So, I started playing this game in alpha called Rust. There are some things I really love about it. You start out buck naked with a rock and a torch. You can design your own base. Or multiple bases. You learn blueprints to make more advanced things for your base, or more advanced weapons. You can hunt animals for food and cloth to make your own clothes. There are air drops from helicopters and planes and there's radiation in some areas. It's a post apocalyptic world but you never really find out what happened. You're just trying to survive.

I think ark survival evolved is a bit better in that regard from what ive heard. I play pretty much h1z1 and cs exclusively though so I'm not the most informed there.

Unfortunately, that's almost entirely how these kind of games work, and it's why I usually stay away from the genre.

A coworker of mine really, really enjoyed Ark: Survival Evolved. He said people will screw with you, but he didn't complain about it very often. I remember him telling me that he did band together with a group of randoms online but that it was a relatively short-lived alliance just because he didn't feel like playing with them anymore.

Unfortunately, I've steered clear of this genre mainly because of the constant attack feature. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me therefore I'm not aware of many survival type games.

A coworker of mine really, really enjoyed Ark: Survival Evolved. He said people will screw with you, but he didn't complain about it very often. I remember him telling me that he did band together with a group of randoms online but that it was a relatively short-lived alliance just because he didn't feel like playing with them anymore.

Unfortunately, I've steered clear of this genre mainly because of the constant attack feature. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me therefore I'm not aware of many survival type games.

H1 is awful in the attack before you talk regard, it kinda blows.

Runescape!

I'm less angsty today. When I posted this I'd built my starter base and had to go to bed before I could build this item that stops people from building on top of my base. So when I woke up, someone had removed my door and walled over everything and made it their base :(

BUT I have a bigger and better base now and one day I will destroy them and take back what's mine!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm sure I will get annoyed again and try one/more of them.

That sounds like the type of thing that would get you destroyed online. Let us know how that goes. :lol:

Welp, someone keeps opening my window shutters but I've now gone 72 hours without my base being looted or destroyed, which is a record for me. I'm sure it was the girly sign that stopped them. :)

AND some chivalrous man has invited me to join his clan. Sometimes it pays having a girl voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have taken a turn for the better now that I have associates in the game. I went on a raid with said-chivalrous man today. (The rest of the clan is in Britain and was asleep for it). We raided this clan that killed me 3+ times when I was on my own and helpless without even a gun. After we gathered all the booty into a bunch of their unlocked boxes I suddenly noticed a naked man crouching and slowly approaching me. Scariest thing I've ever seen in a video game. All of the characters are bald. So completely naked bald dude trying to be sneaky, 3 feet from me, seeing me in HIS base stealing HIS stuff. Ugh. I'm going to have a nightmare tonight.

Anyhow, I unloaded on him and killed him. We got the hell out of there with all of their guns and rocket launchers and rockets that we could find and heard gun fire behind us but made it back to our base safely. I hope I'm not dead when I login tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

I would love to do real research on gender and MMOs. It's so funny how many males act totally differently when they realize you're a real life female.

My group kind of broke up after awhile and I hadn't played for months. Tried it again a few days ago and have already died at least 7 times. The server is super full because it reset last week (meaning everyone is on trying to build up huge bases and get all the best gear before anyone else does).

I was so sick of dying that when someone said "who is that guy?" with their mic I typed in chat "I'm a girl."

You would not believe how things changed. Par for the course in this game is you shoot people in the face and ask questions later. As soon as I typed "I'm a girl" I had 2 guys lead me to their base, give me water, food and clothes and the password to their locks.