B1G and ESPN Breakup?

Yeah for the money

Boo for 11 AM games

Agree about the money, but I'm a little disappointed that some "creative online offerings" do not seem to have been part of discussions. Seems like more of a status-quo negotiation. Like they punted on the cable-cutting elephant in the room.

Online app options are going to become bigger and bigger points of emphasis for networks, and keep in mind, this is a short term deal. Jim Delaney's gold/platinum/diamond-encrusted balls really knocked it out of the park on this one. An obscene amount of money, and a short enough window where 6 years from now, we're going to be the first conference back at the table for more.

Yeah for the money

Boo for 11 AM games

Agree about the money, but I'm a little disappointed that some "creative online offerings" do not seem to have been part of discussions. Seems like more of a status-quo negotiation. Like they punted on the cable-cutting elephant in the room.

Online app options are going to become bigger and bigger points of emphasis for networks, and keep in mind, this is a short term deal. Jim Delaney's gold/platinum/diamond-encrusted balls really knocked it out of the park on this one. An obscene amount of money, and a short enough window where 6 years from now, we're going to be the first conference back at the table for more.

The expansion of non-revenue and Olympic sports and digital offerings for BTN are going to need to be driven by the ADs and require investment. I remember someone saying that the reason we don't get more B1G Baseball/Softball/Summer Sports on the network is because Fox shuts down some of the potential broadcasting during summer months to save money. If the ADs want to get more exposure, they'll probably need to pony up the money collectively to get that broadcasting bandwidth maintained year round.

I'm hoping at least someone in the media starts asking about BTN apps for streaming devices (Roku, Apple TV, XBox, PlayStation, Amazon Fire) like the SEC (via ESPN) and the ACC have currently. Sad we're lagging behind in this when we have one of the best media universities (Northwestern) in our conference.

• Fire 1

I'm hoping at least someone in the media starts asking about BTN apps for streaming devices (Roku, Apple TV, XBox, PlayStation, Amazon Fire) like the SEC (via ESPN) and the ACC have currently. Sad we're lagging behind in this when we have one of the best media universities (Northwestern) in our conference.

There's already a BTN app for Roku, as well as for iOS and Android. Not sure about the others.

There's already a BTN app for Roku, as well as for iOS and Android. Not sure about the others.

Thanks--last I messed with Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire was ~6 months ago, so glad to see they've got something out there. :)

Thanks--last I messed with Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire was ~6 months ago, so glad to see they've got something out there. :)

They had the BTN app before last season for Roku, I know that. Not sure about when the others came out though.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ESPN stays in the game

ESPN will buy the second half of the Big Ten’s media rights package, ending months of speculation that the two were about to sever their 50-year relationship.

ESPN will pay an average of $190 million per year over six years for essentially half the conference’s media rights package, according to several sources close to the talks. Two months ago, Fox Sports agreed to take the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. CBS Sports also has told the conference that it will renew its basketball-only package for $10 million per year.

The six-year, $2.64 billion media rights haul represents a big win for the Big Ten Conference, of course, which will see its average media rights payout nearly triple when it takes effect next fall.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/06/20/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten.aspxE

Yeah for the money

Boo for 11 AM games

ESPN has been around 50 years?

Boo for more Doris Burke announcing those said 11 AM games. The woman is turrible at everything she does.

ESPN stays in the game

ESPN will buy the second half of the Big Tens media rights package, ending months of speculation that the two were about to sever their 50-year relationship.

ESPN will pay an average of $190 million per year over six years for essentially half the conferences media rights package, according to several sources close to the talks. Two months ago, Fox Sports agreed to take the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. CBS Sports also has told the conference that it will renew its basketball-only package for $10 million per year.

The six-year, $2.64 billion media rights haul represents a big win for the Big Ten Conference, of course, which will see its average media rights payout nearly triple when it takes effect next fall.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/06/20/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten.aspxE

Yeah for the money

Boo for 11 AM games

ESPN has been around 50 years?

Boo for more Doris Burke announcing those said 11 AM games. The woman is turrible at everything she does.

Beth Mowins? Easy mistake