*** 2019 Recruiting ***

2 hours ago, yort2000 said:

At ILB?  We have 1 3 year starter returning, 1 JUCO that transferred in for the spring, and 2 underclassmen that haven't seen much game action and they are all learning a new system and only have a spring (15 practices) head start.  I don't know of many situations at other colleges that could be much better than that.

All depends how it is spun, an opposing coach going after the same kid would say we have:

Young: 3 year returning starter who on pace to be one of the all time leading tacklers in program history. 

Barry: Returns with starting experience and seems poised for a breakout year. 

Honas: #1 Juco ILB in country last year that was brought in to play immediately. 

However, I get your point. I used the same point about why we should have chased Burrows, although we have more experience at ILB than QB.

• Plus1 1

Two transfers this week but we still have 15 open spots plus 3 is 18.  But everyone seems to expect this class to still push 25.

Priority:

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1-2 - LUKE McCAFFREY, Michael Johnson, John Rhys Plumlee, Jayden Daniels
RB - 2-3 - THOMAS GRAYSONRAHMIR JOHNSON, Ronald Thompkins, Tyler Goodson, Josh Henderson
WR - 3-4 - Kyren Williams, Marcus Washington, Cameron Coleman, Bryce Childress, Mycah Pittman, Kyle Ford, Marlyn Johnson, Jameson Williams, Brieon Fuller
TE - 1 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - Jayme Simmons, Jack Buford, Jaelin Humphries, Taylor Miterko, Bryce Benhart, Matthew Anderson, Michael Lynn
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMcKade Mettauer, William Putnam, Danielson Ike

NT - 1-2 - JUCO Tony Fair, Gio Paez
DE - 2 - ETHAN PIPERTy Robinson, Mosai Newsom, Stephon Wright
LB - 3 - GARRETT NELSON, Nick Henrich, Makobe Dean, Spencer Lytle, Ge'mon Eaford, JUCO Jermaine Johnson, Maninoa Tufono, Peni Naulu, Jackson Hannah, Zach Marcheselli
CB - 2-3 - Javin Wright, Isaiah Essissima, Tiawan Mullen
S - 1-2 - Jalani Williams, Jalyn Phillips, Quinton Newsome, Cornelius Nunn

ATH - GARRETT SNODGRASSMarquis Wilson

• Plus1 1

Well, I complained a little bit ago about possibly making McCaffrey our only QB commit but I’m opening up to it. I think we have a unique system, a very unique QB coach, and Luke likely fits extremely well with both. Name recognition will help with peer recruiting. Important to get our QB to springboard the rest of the class.

My only concern is that I wouldn’t call him a 4-star QB at this point. I know he said he had a couple options at QB but I’m not sure how true that is. It feels like we struck out with QBs higher on our board but that this is hopefully a perfect match.

7 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Well, I complained a little bit ago about possibly making McCaffrey our only QB commit but I’m opening up to it. I think we have a unique system, a very unique QB coach, and Luke likely fits extremely well with both. Name recognition will help with peer recruiting. Important to get our QB to springboard the rest of the class.

My only concern is that I wouldn’t call him a 4-star QB at this point. I know he said he had a couple options at QB but I’m not sure how true that is. It feels like we struck out with QBs higher on our board but that this is hopefully a perfect match.

I think the staff can spot talent others over look. Did anyone else want Milton? 

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***