*** 2019 Recruiting ***

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Random note that may only interest me:

The current average star rating of our commits is higher than the final average of Riley's 2016 class (.8725 vs. .8686)

As long as it is still higher at the end of Feb 6th of next year.  Nevertheless, that's a good number.

2 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

As long as it is still higher at the end of Feb 6th of next year.  Nevertheless, that's a good number.

Eh, I don't know if I'd say it's a good number.  It's OK given where we are.  But it needs to be higher.

I just thought it was interesting for as much as Riley was praised for his recruiting.  There was lots of flash but not much substance.  After Riley's first year, people were tripping all over themselves to say how great of a job he was doing.  Right now, there is a lot of questions about the guys we are recruiting.  Yet we're better now than we were then. 

It's just odd what things people choose to focus on to form an opinion.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I don't know if I'd say it's a good number.  It's OK given where we are.  But it needs to be higher.

I just thought it was interesting for as much as Riley was praised for his recruiting.  There was lots of flash but not much substance.  After Riley's first year, people were tripping all over themselves to say how great of a job he was doing.  Right now, there is a lot of questions about the guys we are recruiting.  Yet we're better now than we were then. 

It's just odd what things people choose to focus on to form an opinion.

What would be a good number in your opinion? Obviously it needs to be higher, but I was merely basing off of it being a transition class. I don't think it will be a .8800+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the upper .87s., at least for this cycle.

I feel the majority of the current class are the "substance" portion you speak of. Imo the "flash" will come in December and January.

57 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

What would be a good number in your opinion? Obviously it needs to be higher, but I was merely basing off of it being a transition class. I don't think it will be a .8800+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the upper .87s., at least for this cycle.

I feel the majority of the current class are the "substance" portion you speak of. Imo the "flash" will come in December and January.

I agree with you last statement, which is why I say I think the number needs to be higher.

It needs to be higher to compete at the level at which we want to compete.  I'm not going to give up on Frost if it isn't higher in Year 1.  But it still needs to be higher.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree with you last statement, which is why I say I think the number needs to be higher.

It needs to be higher to compete at the level at which we want to compete.  I'm not going to give up on Frost if it isn't higher in Year 1.  But it still needs to be higher.

Until we come out in the 2019 season and dominate everyone all year to an undefeated season and national champs with those players. Then we will all say man- frost sure does know hot to spot talent and coach them up. 

Mic Drop

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Frost and Co. seem to be doing a decent job but not lighting the world on fire.  I think a lot of this class depends on how the season goes.  If we have a 7-5 or 8-4 season with no signature upsets....I see the class ending maybe around the average rating it's at now.  If he can come out maybe have a 9 or 10 win season and knock off one of the big boys on our schedule....I could see a decent pick up in interest from top rated recruits.

This class so far is a class that appears to me that it should be in line with the talent we have on campus which, I firmly believe is good enough to compete for the B1G west championship.

Hopefully we can do that and then start getting the talent on campus that will have us competing for actual conference championships.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No doubt it needs to be higher if we want to not only compete but win those big games. I think if things fall correctly it will be higher this year. Next cycle I'm pretty confident it will be higher.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost and Co. seem to be doing a decent job but not lighting the world on fire.  I think a lot of this class depends on how the season goes.  If we have a 7-5 or 8-4 season with no signature upsets....I see the class ending maybe around the average rating it's at now.  If he can come out maybe have a 9 or 10 win season and knock off one of the big boys on our schedule....I could see a decent pick up in interest from top rated recruits.

This class so far is a class that appears to me that it should be in line with the talent we have on campus which, I firmly believe is good enough to compete for the B1G west championship.

Hopefully we can do that and then start getting the talent on campus that will have us competing for actual conference championships.

I honestly feel what we are seeing now is due to this staff being behind on the '19 class, nor are we coming off of a 13-1/top 10 type season. 

If we have any success on a conference level, recruiting will take off. I think Nebraska winning a division and being competitive in the CCG will look a lot different recruiting wise versus other recent B1G West winner imho. Agree a 7-5 type season will result in a similar average but an 8-4(9-4 with a bowl win) might be enough of a difference.

3 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

I honestly feel what we are seeing now is due to this staff being behind on the '19 class, nor are we coming off of a 13-1/top 10 type season. 

If we have any success on a conference level, recruiting will take off. I think Nebraska winning a division and being competitive in the CCG will look a lot different recruiting wise versus other recent B1G West winner imho. Agree a 7-5 type season will result in a similar average but an 8-4(9-4 with a bowl win) might be enough of a difference.

A lot of it also depends on what the team looks like in those losses.  Do they get their asses handed to them...or, do the look competent, well coached, competitive but lose a close game?

And...do they improve as the year?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

A lot of it also depends on what the team looks like in those losses.  Do they get their asses handed to them...or, do the look competent, well coached, competitive but lose a close game?

And...do they improve as the year?

Honestly, that's the assumption most, including myself, have made. Being competitive and improving as the year wore on. I know it's not good to assume things though.

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

No doubt it needs to be higher if we want to not only compete but win those big games. I think if things fall correctly it will be higher this year. Next cycle I'm pretty confident it will be higher.

Oregon had the #19 and #16 recruiting class with 2 different head coaches in 2 years and went 5-7 and 7-5.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Oregon had the #19 and #16 recruiting class with 2 different head coaches in 2 years and went 5-7 and 7-5.  

• Oregon was coming off a stretch of 8 double-digit win seasons in 9 years
  • Oregon was in the National Championship game twice in the previous six years
  • Oregon won the Rose Bowl twice in the previous five years
  • Oregon is not located in Nebraska
  • June is not February

Other than that, I guess it's comparable.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

• Oregon was coming off a stretch of 8 double-digit win seasons in 9 years
  • Oregon was in the National Championship game twice in the previous six years
  • Oregon won the Rose Bowl twice in the previous five years
  • Oregon is not located in Nebraska
  • June is not February

Other than that, I guess it's comparable.

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal.  It’s silly to even bring it up.

And keep telling yourself it’s only June.  I’m sure all the other schools are taking a wait and see approach too

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal.  It’s silly to even bring it up.

And keep telling yourself it’s only June.  I’m sure all the other schools are taking a wait and see approach too

It is only June. Nebraska also doesn't have the recruiting base Oregon has in California. I get it though.

• Plus1 1

I'm gonna go ahead and confirm that it is infact, still June.

• Plus1 9

My bad.  I keep forgetting you know the thought process of every recruit.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***