*** 2019 Recruiting ***

40 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I think things will pick up once we get our official visit count reset.  They've been somewhat handcuffed, no?

Yeah, we've only had two to use since signing day.  So we've been doing everything (basically) without using any OVs.

Frost also said that they'd rather use them in the fall anyway.  But I have to think that they will use at least some earlier in future years.  I'm sure they'd rather wait until the fall, and I don't blame them for that.  But with so many guys making early decisions I think you're about forced to bring some guys in on OVs earlier. I kind of think part of him saying that is just a way to avoid complaining about being out of them.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal. It’s silly to even bring it up.

So, no recruit that ever came to Nebraska after Osborne was coaching came for any reason that was related to Osborne?

The idea that no recruits are enticed to Oregon based on Oregon's recent history seems much more silly to me. Past success matters to some recruits, even if there is a new coach.

• Plus1 1

I wonder what the data points show as far as average first and second year recruiting rankings for new splash hire head coaches at blue bloods that haven't proven much on the field but have a lot of hype and positive PR coming in from the new big time coach. 

16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I wonder what the data points show as far as average first and second year recruiting rankings for new splash hire head coaches at blue bloods that haven't proven much on the field but have a lot of hype and positive PR coming in from the new big time coach.

It's hard to find direct comparisons because not many are as disadvantaged as Nebraska as far as location, but at the same time have great facilities and a great history. We're pretty unique. Honestly the closest I can think of are Wisconsin, MSU, Iowa, and Kansas State. The latter we obviously have huge advantages over with facilities and history and always out-recruit them. The former we have a history advantage but it doesn't mean much when compared with their recent success.

I did look up Washington. After Petersen's first season (so the equivalent of the 2019 class for Frost), Washington had the 26th rated class. But again, Washington isn't Nebraska. It's much easier to convince 18 year olds to move to Seattle. I'm assuming their facilities aren't as good, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with a top 25 class after all is said and done, but really I think the immediate goal should be to out-recruit the B1G West and start winning. Then better recruiting will follow. This should be the worst W-L record Frost ever has to recruit to, and if we can show some exciting things on offense and defense and win 7+ games, it will help.

Or we could look at Chip Kelly who's in freaking Los Angeles and has 3 commits right now.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Or we could look at Chip Kelly who's in freaking Los Angeles and has 3 commits right now.

It would be an interesting bet for sure ... but my opinion is that UCLA will be rated higher for the 2019 class then :bigredn: when it's all said and done.  It will be fascinating to watch for sure.

10 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Nebraska also doesn't have the recruiting base Oregon has in California. I get it though.

I've wondered about this.  Almost all of Oregon's California commits are from the LA area.  Which is almost 900 miles from Eugene.  Nebraska is  in the 900 mile range of some large talent bases.  

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

So, no recruit that ever came to Nebraska after Osborne was coaching came for any reason that was related to Osborne?

The idea that no recruits are enticed to Oregon based on Oregon's recent history seems much more silly to me. Past success matters to some recruits, even if there is a new coach.

I don't believe that very many players that came to Nebraska during the Callahan years or Pelini years looked at TO winning in 97 or Solich losing in 02 as a deciding factor to come to Nebraska.  And besides.  We weren't attracting a ton of big time players outside of a couple of recruiting classes.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

My bad.  I keep forgetting you know the thought process of every recruit.

Weird how you don't say the same thing to people on here that claim all we need to do is "Get them on campus" or "Let him see the game day atmosphere" or "We just need to impress the parents" to get a commitment from a highly rated player.  

Oregon, for whatever reason, just seems to be a team that will probably have a higher rated recruiting class then :bigredn:moving forward.  For me, it just goes to show that :bigredn: has to get back to the fundamentals of building the OL and DL positions as we can always attract the proper skill guys.  If we simply add hard-nosed, fundamental, blue collar football attitude to our system and skill guys we should look more like the :bigredn: of old ... even with the updates that Frost & Co bring to the program.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I've wondered about this.  Almost all of Oregon's California commits are from the LA area.  Which is almost 900 miles from Eugene.  Nebraska is  in the 900 mile range of some large talent bases.  

Guessing you're not considering L.A. to Eugene is a straight shot up I-5. There's also less major programs they have to go against to attract their talent. USC and UCLA can't sign everyone, not every kid can get admitted to Stanford. Arizona, Arizona st and Cal are mediocre programs. Most kids end up staying relatively close to home or somewhere culturally similar. 

The closest major metro areas comparable to L.A. are the Dallas Metroplex and Chicagoland. Oklahoma, Texas, TCU all recruit Dallas-Fort Worth and they can sell that they can play close to home and in the same conference. For Chicago, there is not nearly the same amount of talent that is produced in southern california(Look at the amount of 4*s that come out of So Cal) St. Louis is actually much smaller than the aforementioned, and OSU is paying rent there right now.

Since everything should be parallel, in that Eugene is 900 miles from Southen California, other metro areas that are approximately the same distance from Lincoln with similar talent are Houston and Atlanta. We all know Nebraska or other B1G schools can't make a living there...its actually funny to think about. Hard pressed to ask kids to to skip the plethora of SEC schools in favor of an average Nebraska program.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Oregon, for whatever reason, just seems to be a team that will probably have a higher rated recruiting class then :bigredn:moving forward.  For me, it just goes to show that :bigredn: has to get back to the fundamentals of building the OL and DL positions as we can always attract the proper skill guys.  If we simply add hard-nosed, fundamental, blue collar football attitude to our system and skill guys we should look more like the :bigredn: of old ... even with the updates that Frost & Co bring to the program.

It's all good. Cause I think Frost is a better coach than either Taggart or Cristobal.

• Plus1 1

^^^ Agreed ... but as a fan base, I'm gonna have to accept that in head to head battles against Oregon, we are gonna lose more of the recruiting battles against them ... BUT THAT IS OKAY ... because of what I said in my prior post.   The more we get back to these things stated in my post the more that even recruits see the :bigredn:  of old we will see a new generation of kids who will want to be a part of the hard work it takes to compete with all the "flash and dash" of the schools who just seem to roll in the talent pool areas.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***