*** 2019 Recruiting ***

I’m here to eat some crow and admit that I’m 100% convinced that Luke McCaffrey is a great QB recruit for this class. I was willing to trust the coaches, but I didn’t love that commitment when it happened. Mostly because I felt we could be a little bit selective knowing our offense would generate a lot of interest from recruits once the games started.

But Frost and Verduzco are incredible at development and fine tuning any quirks or deficiencies into our system perfectly. Can’t wait to see what they can do with a great athlete like Luke as well.

8 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I’m here to eat some crow and admit that I’m 100% convinced that Luke McCaffrey is a great QB recruit for this class. I was willing to trust the coaches, but I didn’t love that commitment when it happened. Mostly because I felt we could be a little bit selective knowing our offense would generate a lot of interest from recruits once the games started.

But Frost and Verduzco are incredible at development and fine tuning any quirks or deficiencies into our system perfectly. Can’t wait to see what they can do with a great athlete like Luke as well.

What changed your mind?

• Plus1 1

When we accepted his commitment, there was a lot of talk about how Verduzco trains his QBs in really unconventional ways; basically coaching guys to do some things that are widely perceived as no-no’s. Stuff like throwing off of one foot or throwing late across the body. They have a motto of “by any means necessary,”: just get the ball to the WR.

I watched Milton do it here and there but I didn’t watch a ton of UCF last year. Martinez in game one made a couple of incredible throws by improvising and getting it there “by any means necessary.” Part of the criticisms of McCaffrey as a passer are that he has some of the same habits that are traditionally considered no-no’s. But we have an innovative staff, great coaching, and a brilliant game plan and I think we will maximize McCaffrey’s ability.

To answer more succinctly, I saw first hand that the staff is no joke about how they develop passers. Not that I doubted it, but seeing it with my own eyes now, I don’t care who they offer at QB, he’s the right guy for the job.

• Thanks 1