*** 2019 Recruiting ***

50 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think I’d rather they protect the walkon program by giving fair shakes to the walkon players rather then some HS coach sending us soft entitled players. It’s up to the scholarship players to protect their starting status. I assume that’s what you mean by protecting?  Disco is an idiot.

But yet, we have fans who immediately think everyone at the position sucks if a walk-on is starting.  Even though, that walk-on might be doing pretty well.

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

In theory you are correct, but it just isn't reality. There are so many different factors beyond my one example. The point is that many coaches will exhaust every option with a scholarship player before they plug in the walk-on.

I think KKKcandyman gave us a little taste of the pressure coaches face. He was certain our coaches didn’t know squat when his Katy RB wasn’t the starter over other scholly RB’s. I think his main argument was because the RB was from KATY! 

I think walkons are by default placed 2nd or 3rd or 4th string so they have to do something extraordinary to get noticed.

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Warner over Mike Williams. 

Sort of.

Hunt was hurt on the outside, so they moved Warner(who was behind Lindsey) from inside to outside and ended up starting him. Couldn’t have they just moved Lindsey? I realize he isn’t a typical outside guy, but apparently Warner isn’t either or they would have him regularly there already.

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Warner over Mike Williams. 

Sort of.

Hunt was hurt on the outside, so they moved Warner(who was behind Lindsey) from inside to outside and ended up starting him. Couldn’t have they just moved Lindsey? I realize he isn’t a typical outside guy, but apparently Warner isn’t either or they would have him regularly there already.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

Sort of.

My read on it is that Lindsey can't block on the outside. Also, you have to be one of the better route runners to be on the outside. I would say that Kade is probably a better blocker and route runner than Tyjon so he gets that opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

My read on it is that Lindsey can't block on the outside. Also, you have to be one of the better route runners to be on the outside. I would say that Kade is probably a better blocker and route runner than Tyjon so he gets that opportunity. 

Sooo... we went walk-on guy over scholarship? ;)

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Sooo... we went walk-on guy over scholarship? ;)

Haha yes, but I don't believe that our staff will be one of those incredibly stubborn ones who will not sub in the walk-on. I am just saying that they have demonstrated what happens everywhere. Scholarship guys will be exhausted until they prove that they cannot do it. Because from everything that I have seen and heard, some dudes have been outplayed for months (practice), but our staff has been relying a little bit on the eventual "lightbulb" moment for some. 

Warner has always been an outside receiver, not a slot.   He isn't quick enough to be a slot receiver plus he is 6'1  210.

He also isn't a bad receiver.   He may have the best hands on the team and is an all around solid player.  The only thing he lacks is speed. 

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Warner has always been an outside receiver, not a slot.   He isn't quick enough to be a slot receiver plus he is 6'1  210.

He also isn't a bad receiver.   He may have the best hands on the team and is an all around solid player.  The only thing he lacks is speed. 

According to Troy Walters your first paragraph is wrong. Walters said yesterday that he had been working in the slot and was moved out due to Hunt' s injury. 

I very much agree with your second paragraph. 

9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Is it just me or does everyone else feel really solid on our current commits staying that way? Seems like under previous coaches we were walking on eggshells worrying about a decommit because we got some high rated guy who never actually committed 100%

Different story. There could be some that change their mind, but all recruits for the most part understand that Frost is coaching guys he didn't recruit and wants guys that are his.

We were on eggshells because Riley was in year 3 and getting trounced and the seat was HOT. Plus, other programs that were on a roll were coming in and enticing them.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Different story. There could be some that change their mind, but all recruits for the most part understand that Frost is coaching guys he didn't recruit and wants guys that are his.

We were on eggshells because Riley was in year 3 and getting trounced and the seat was HOT. Plus, other programs that were on a roll were coming in and enticing them.

Excellent points.

5 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

15 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Is it just me or does everyone else feel really solid on our current commits staying that way? Seems like under previous coaches we were walking on eggshells worrying about a decommit because we got some high rated guy who never actually committed 100%

I would be much more concerned if we were not seeing active efforts from the coaches to fix the problems.  We are 0-4.  If Frost and Co were just giving coach speak, no changes to starting line ups....and acting like it's not that big of a deal, then recruits would not be that excited to come play for him.  However, we are seeing actions by the coaching staff and passion to get it fixed.  That tells recruits that if I come, eventually, I probably will be playing for a winner AND have a chance at early playing time if I work my ass off and prove I'm better.

• Plus1 1