*** 2019 Recruiting ***

2 hours ago, Noahjb said:

Anyone have guesses for how many of those guys we actually land? Benhart, Wandale, and Chase are favorites of mine.

I would guess we can get all three that you mentioned. However, I would rank them as follow in confidence we get them Benhart, Chase, W. Robinson. Ty Robinson is someone who we will probably get second place for. Banks should be N as should Javin Wright, a Juco OLB is very probable as is another OT. 

I will say we get at least half and probably leaning towards six or seven of them. Those would be Benhart, W. Robinson, Chase, Wright, Banks, and Washington. Robinson is off a gut feeling and it's too early for Washington but the offense has shown promise this year. 

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....good thing you aren’t our recruiting coordinator. 

I'm not disagreeing we need to recruit all positions.  But I am saying we have had an overemphasis on skill positions and not much focus on OL and DL.  I'm glad we won some battles for some skill guys (great job in getting our QB) but it is obvious we lack with line play on both sides.  With lines as the foundation of your team we basically are lacking severely so yes that is a lot of positions to recruit for. This is an obvious fact especially at high school and college.  You can have great QB's and some stud receivers but without any OL to protect and block you are going to lose.  Without a DL you make the other team look fantastic with worse QB's and skill players.  This has been Nebraska football for the last several years (losing while making other offenses look great against us).  So yes Frost and Co. need to fix it...no apologies for that.  

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I'm not disagreeing we need to recruit all positions.  But I am saying we have had an overemphasis on skill positions and not much focus on OL and DL.  I'm glad we won some battles for some skill guys (great job in getting our QB) but it is obvious we lack with line play on both sides.  With lines as the foundation of your team we basically are lacking severely so yes that is a lot of positions to recruit for. This is an obvious fact especially at high school and college.  You can have great QB's and some stud receivers but without any OL to protect and block you are going to lose.  Without a DL you make the other team look fantastic with worse QB's and skill players.  This has been Nebraska football for the last several years (losing while making other offenses look great against us).  So yes Frost and Co. need to fix it...no apologies for that.  

Thats not true. The only reason it looks that way is because we have had a lot of misses on the lines and they havent developed the way they should while we have had some skill position players step up. We have recruited both lines and have the bodies, just not necessarily kids that are ready to see the field. Doesnt mean you just bring in as many recruits as possible, just bring in the amount you need and develop them better. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Thats not true. The only reason it looks that way is because we have had a lot of misses on the lines and they havent developed the way they should while we have had some skill position players step up. We have recruited both lines and have the bodies, just not necessarily kids that are ready to see the field. Doesnt mean you just bring in as many recruits as possible, just bring in the amount you need and develop them better. 

Also do a better job recruiting. Then do better developing. I think most teams in the big 10 dont struggle as much as we do. How many times do we see like indiana or purdue or northwestern take ohio state, penn state or wisconsin to the wire in a game. Then I think hey maybe we have a chance. Then we go get blown out by like 50.

• Plus1 1

I don’t follow recruiting outside of the info I get on this board. I’m curious about how the way our season has unfolded will effect recruiting? Conventional wisdom (read: my opinion) would be that some commits may waiver due to the way the season has gone so far. 

1. Are any current commits waivering?

2. If no, who do we have currently committed that we need to worry about the most being plucked due to the current circumstances?

Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen off the air.

edit: whoops! Guess I should have just looked three threads below. Sorry.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:41 AM, Warrior10 said:

I'm adding WR to my concerns for this class. 

We have Nance (who I don't necessarily think is a game changer). The other 4 guys that have visited/shown interest are committed elsewhere or leaning heavily elsewhere.

Outside if JD we haven't had a current player show us much/any reason for confidence next year.

Who are our remaining legitimate targets? Hoping Trustin Oliver qualifies academically is the only one I can think of. 

Walters said today we'll take 3-4 and even a 5th if it's the right guy. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/16/2018 at 4:57 AM, Frott Scost said:

I don't have the data but it feels to me like we have won some skill player battles against better schools while OL and DL not as much beating good schools in recruiting.  Somebody probably has the average score by position.  One thing I have not seen despite the great need for several years is the recruitment of a monster pass rusher.  A guy that is brought in especially for that skill.  Randy Gregory is the last one I recall.  There has not been speed off the edge since and we have suffered for that dearly.  Instead of recruiting zero edge rushers, it must be a priority to get multiple pass rushers. You can't continue to strike out in this area and I contend we have. 

6 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I don't have the data but it feels to me like we have won some skill player battles against better schools while OL and DL not as much beating good schools in recruiting.  Somebody probably has the average score by position.  One thing I have not seen despite the great need for several years is the recruitment of a monster pass rusher.  A guy that is brought in especially for that skill.  Randy Gregory is the last one I recall.  There has not been speed off the edge since and we have suffered for that dearly.  Instead of recruiting zero edge rushers, it must be a priority to get multiple pass rushers. You can't continue to strike out in this area and I contend we have. 

I totally get that and I agree we have missed a lot on the lines for a game changer. But if you look at the roster, we have the bodies on both lines so it isnt like we havent recruited those positions like your last couple posts made it seem like. Like one of the above posts says, we just need to recruit the position better. But skill positions cant take a back seat just because we have had more wins against better schools. We beat out tOSU for Lindsey and look at him. He didnt do much and left. The schools recruiting him had no difference on his production. Next year we have Spielman and Washington and thats it. No other skill player on the roster has shown anything to feel like you should just not worry about recruiting that position this year. 

20 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Yeah, I’m just not concerned really. We put together a pretty good class from December-February last year. Confident they are going to find 3-4 more legit options at WR/ATH for the squad.

I'd prefer to be cherry picking and working on next year's class between the early signing period and NSD. 

• Plus1 1