*** 2019 Recruiting ***

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I wonder how many spots in the class we would like to leave open for after early signing? 

We landed some nice 4 stars last year 

I don't think they'd leave too many IF they can get most of their top targets to sign early. I don't think they'll sign anyone who is a stretch. My bet would be about 3-4 open at most.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I wonder how many spots in the class we would like to leave open for after early signing? 

I haven’t heard about which guys plan to sign at the early signing date, but I would guess most will.

After that it will be flipping season for Frost and I’m sure he will save some room for them to work.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would guess they're not "saving" any spots.  You want all your commits to sign.

But considering we are probably still looking for 8-9 guys, I doubt we will be full on the early day.

20 commits right now.  24 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCE, DARIEN CHASEWandale Robinson
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3-4 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, MICHAEL LYNN, BRYCE BENHART, Dohnovan West
OG/C - 2 - JUCO DESMOND BLAND

NT - 1-2 - JUCO TONY FAIR
DE - 2-3 - ETHAN PIPERMOSAI NEWSOM, Ty Robinson, Brant Banks
LB - 4-5 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, NICK HENRICH
CB - 2 - QUINTON NEWSOME, JAVIN WRIGHT, Tavian Mayo, Jarrad BakerNehemiah Pritchett
S - 2 - Jamel Starks, Noa Pola-Gates, Josh SanguinettiJUCO Markquese Bell

ATH - Zay Flowers

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Fair, Nelson

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I would guess they're not "saving" any spots.  You want all your commits to sign.

But considering we are probably still looking for 8-9 guys, I doubt we will be full on the early day.

Idk. I'm guessing Frost will hope to have 26 guys signed by ESD and then go to town on some gamechangers with our oversign spots for 2019 and working on 2020 and beyond dudes.

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How would you people who pay a lot of attention compare this class to last year’s so far?

Last year was obviously a scramble — did that cause us to go after whoever we could find and miss some areas of need which we’re fixing now?

I guess I don't really think so.  It'll be tough to know for awhile yet.  We were short receivers and we hit that position hard.  We were also short defensive backs but we took four.  And we grabbed several JUCO guys at positions of need.  So I think we still hit the positions we needed to pretty well.  Just a question of if the guys we were able to get will turn into contributors.  But that's the question with every class.

Biggest thing that hurt was that was the first year of the early signing period.  It really cut down on the time the new staff had to work on guys and then cut way down on the options for January.  I think there were at least a couple more guys that they really like that they probably could have gotten with another six weeks to work on them.  But that's the breaks.

With Benhart's commitment, and Wandale and Wright committing this week (N or out we will know), N will sit at 20 or 21. With 6-8 spots remaining where do we go from here? Obviously, Safety is a priority with Pola-Gates and Bell being the most likely options. Corner? Pass rush? OL still?

Also, with a large majority of our class locked in, do we have the possibility of going after a big fish like Owen Pappoe? I mean, Frost already beat Auburn once, why not beat them again and add another Grayson player to our GA pipeline... Or are there any other big names we should keep an eye on as early signing signing period approaches?