*** 2019 Recruiting ***

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep. Listened to the press conference that started just after 4pm on 1620. He mentioned  the possibility of a grad transfer(s) if it is the right person. Depends on what the final signing class is in February I assume. I think other position options outside of the above would also be considered depending on what the talent level and fit is of the given candidate. He talked about taking a guy if it would "move the needle" for the program so that is how I took it.

He touched on  the program regarding JUCO considerations. It will drop over time unless a special talent or need is desired. I'm definitely paraphrasing here, but that is what I got out of it.

10 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Worried about our CB recruiting.

OLB meh at this point. 

Very happy otherwise. 

I believe I said well before the season started that we were in a hole for the 2019 class because we were late getting started (new coaching staff) and coming off a 4-8 season.  But I was hopeful that we could put a good product on the field and start to draw some better attention from recruits.

Unfortunely, all that didn't happen.  Obviously the record didn't get any better.  Offensive recruiting went very well as we could easily point to the product on the field and get guys excited about that part.  Defensive recruiting wasn't as fortunate.  A poor record and less-than-stellar defensive product didn't do our recruiting efforts any favors, especially at positions that are tough to recruit such as CB and edge rusher.

There are probably other factors at play as well but I'm hopeful that with a "full" recruiting cycle on 2020 guys and (hopefully) a continued improvement in the product on the field, the recruiting side will pick up as well.

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty much this.

It's not "Early Signing Day".  This is National Signing Day and February is "Late Signing Day"

I am still a really big fan of it...it allows schools to sort of figure things out as well as kids. Fritzche for example figured out that Clemson didnt love him the way we did. It is valuable to know these things for the kid. I would want to know anyways 

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Heard this too and I was under the impression that it could be tonight. Does the recruiting day end ay a specific time? 

Friday at midnight i would guess 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I believe I said well before the season started that we were in a hole for the 2019 class because we were late getting started (new coaching staff) and coming off a 4-8 season.  But I was hopeful that we could put a good product on the field and start to draw some better attention from recruits.

Unfortunely, all that didn't happen.  Obviously the record didn't get any better.  Offensive recruiting went very well as we could easily point to the product on the field and get guys excited about that part.  Defensive recruiting wasn't as fortunate.  A poor record and less-than-stellar defensive product didn't do our recruiting efforts any favors, especially at positions that are tough to recruit such as CB and edge rusher.

There are probably other factors at play as well but I'm hopeful that with a "full" recruiting cycle on 2020 guys and (hopefully) a continued improvement in the product on the field, the recruiting side will pick up as well.

Considering the circumstances, I agree.

Just not sure we have a true CB in the fold or even overly interested. 

We have to bodies at OLB, but not a Summerall, Tannor, Jean-Baptise guy. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Considering the circumstances, I agree.

Just not sure we have a true CB in the fold or even overly interested. 

We have to bodies at OLB, but not a Summerall, Tannor, Jean-Baptise guy. 

Jamel Starks would be a great addition, but I get the feeling he is waiting for a bigger offer to come his way. Mostly any big name SEC school gives him a committable offer and he will jump on it immediately. Outside of him maybe Mayo at CB? Another option would be to go get a grad transfer that can provide depth. We have a solid top three right now in our rotation, however, it can and needs to be a lot better. 

• Plus1 1

25 commits right now.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.  I think it will be a couple less than that.  Maybe a spot or two for walk-ons as well.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS, John Bivens
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0-1 - 
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoJamel Starks
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNoa Pola-Gates

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 2