*** 2019 Recruiting ***

1 hour ago, SUHperman said:

Doesn't have a profile but I just learned that Soni Fonua is cousins with Vaha Vainuku and he was his host on his visit. He said being able to play with family in Lincoln is a big deal to him. He is going with his entire family to UCF this weekend. Callahan is pretty confident he will be N.

Supposedly because he "doesn't have an offer" but I don't think they would let someone take an official visit if he didn't have an offer.

Word is the four remaining spots are Safety (NPG), Corner (James or Jamel Starks), OLB (Fonua or Parker) and WR (Njoku or Houston).  That part isn't all that surprising.  Corner as WR are still question marks about if we'll be able to get those top guys.  If we miss on them, that would open up a spot for Bivens or MPM.

Edited by Mavric
Added Parker
  • Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is the four remaining spots are Safety (NPG), Corner (James or Jamel Starks), OLB (Fonua) and WR (Njoku or Houston).  That part isn't all that surprising.  Corner as WR are still question marks about if we'll be able to get those top guys.  If we miss on them, that would open up a spot for Bivens or MPM.

I was under the impression NPG is looked at as a CB for us?

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

I was under the impression NPG is looked at as a CB for us?

After they got his real height/weight he might be. 

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is the four remaining spots are Safety (NPG), Corner (James or Jamel Starks), OLB (Fonua) and WR (Njoku or Houston).  That part isn't all that surprising.  Corner as WR are still question marks about if we'll be able to get those top guys.  If we miss on them, that would open up a spot for Bivens or MPM.

Don't we have more room than just 4? Thought we could take 6 more...

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Is only 4 spots assuming Bland signs? We want Fonua over Parker or the Kansas kid? 

I would be surprised to not see Mao end up here.

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is only 4 spots assuming Bland signs? We want Fonua over Parker or the Kansas kid? 

Four seems to be the number.  I guess I got the impression that is including Bland because I've seen the number 30 pretty often (with one more spot for a transfer being saved until after spring) so the 25 we have now (including Bland) would leave spots for four more.  And that jives with the update where I got the above info.

I'm not 100% sure what our pecking order is on OLB.  I only listed one guy but we are obviously after several.  I would guess all things being equal we'd rather have a HS guy but with the help we need right away they might be leaning toward a JUCO guy for that spot.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not questioning your information.  I'm sure that's what you're gathering from your reliable sources.  But, from the outside, it doesn't make sense.  

Fonua is one of our top prospects we are trying to get.....but, he doesn't have an offer.

Pola-Mao isn't a take at this time, but he's a fairly highly recruited guy at a position of need.  

I would say right now, DT is a higher need than WR....even though I think we could use another WR.

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

That's what I am thinking. 

NPG

Njoku

MPM

OLB

Bivens

and whoever jumps first.

Edit: Just saw your edit @Mavric and that makes sense. I think most people are under the impression that Bland will not be a part of this class.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not questioning your information.  I'm sure that's what you're gathering from your reliable sources.  But, from the outside, it doesn't make sense.  

Fonua is one of our top prospects we are trying to get.....but, he doesn't have an offer.

Pola-Mao isn't a take at this time, but he's a fairly highly recruited guy at a position of need.  

I would say right now, DT is a higher need than WR....even though I think we could use another WR.

I went ahead and made a profile for Fonua.  There seemed to be questions about whether he had an offer or not but I feel pretty confident that he does now.

I'd tend to agree with you about DT>WR at this point.  But we should be pretty set at DT for this year so perhaps we're willing to wait for next cycle.

Edit: when I first typed that, I typed "not" instead of "now".  That was a pretty bad typo in this case. :(

Edited by Mavric
Edited

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I'd tend to agree with you about DT>WR at this point.  But we should be pretty set at DT for this year so perhaps we're willing to wait for next cycle.

Here is why I would take a DT right now over a WR.  It is much easier to find a WR that can come in and almost immediately contribute.  It's much more likely that a DT needs time in the S&C program to develop and get ready to contribute at this level.  My opinion is, we have a number of players in the system that can play multiple positions if needed such as RB, WR, R...etc.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

With Bland there are 84 under scholarship, so really there is 1 spot open.  After that, every recruit that signs means somebody currently under scholarship is out.

Are you including players who have quit due to injury that are still on scholarship, as they do not count toward the 85.  I also think there will be a few leaving before the fall; graduating Sr. who will not get a lot playing time.

8 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

With Bland there are 84 under scholarship, so really there is 1 spot open.  After that, every recruit that signs means somebody currently under scholarship is out.

Yep. We're supposedly taking 4-5 more plus a couple walk-ons (Warner and Armstrong) who deserve it.

There will undoubtedly be some "surprising" departures in May.....

• Plus1 1