*** 2019 Recruiting ***

12 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Are you including players who have quit due to injury that are still on scholarship, as they do not count toward the 85.  I also think there will be a few leaving before the fall; graduating Sr. who will not get a lot playing time.

If you are referring to Weinmaster, I didn't include him.  Yes, there will have to be some leaving.  With what Mav said, it will have to be more than just a few graduate Seniors.

25 commits right now, though Bland is a question mark.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 29 - leaving one spot for a grad transfers. 

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS, John Bivens
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON, Demariyon Houston, Charles Njoku
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0-1 - Matthew Pola-Mao
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM, Dylan JordanSteven Parker, JUCO Soni Fonua

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoJamel Starks, DJ James
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNOA POLA-GATES

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

11 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

My finish prediction:

Pola-Gates

Parker

Njoku/Houston (in that preference)

Starks

Pola-Mao/Bivens (in that preference)

Player ability aside (I agree with the preference) Both areas of the country are nice spots to continue to get a foot hold in. I like the opportunity to keep landing guys in the northeast and Houston with Nance are nice pick ups in Oklahoma. Getting closer to Texas.

Pola-Mao/Bivens both seem like high risk high reward type players and either would be nice.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

25 commits right now, though Bland is a question mark.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 29 - leaving one spot for a grad transfers. 

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS, John Bivens
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON, Demariyon Houston, Charles Njoku
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0-1 - Matthew Pola-Mao
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM, Dylan JordanSteven Parker, JUCO Soni Fonua

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoJamel Starks, DJ James
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNoa Pola-Gates

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

Just want to step back from the process and point something out.  We have 25 commits in a pretty decent class.  We still have probably more very good players very interested in coming than we have spots for.  

I remember many years when we got to this point in the process and we were grabbing warm bodies.

It's a nice change.

• Plus1 9
12 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Player ability aside (I agree with the preference) Both areas of the country are nice spots to continue to get a foot hold in. I like the opportunity to keep landing guys in the northeast and Houston with Nance are nice pick ups in Oklahoma. Getting closer to Texas.

Pola-Mao/Bivens both seem like high risk high reward type players and either would be nice.

I totally agree. Nebraska can make up a lot of ground by getting elite prospects out of OKC or the state in general.

6 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Underrated phrase, imo.

Not only are we looking at a potential huge jump in quality, but if some of these predictions hold true we are adding players that can do something different. A big body receiver that can help in the red zone, an OLB that can play with his hand down on third and long, situational assets we were really lacking last year. 

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Not only are we looking at a potential huge jump in quality, but if some of these predictions hold true we are adding players that can do something different. A big body receiver that can help in the red zone, an OLB that can play with his hand down on third and long, situational assets we were really lacking last year. 

Granted these are all projections, as far as immediate ideas. But we seem to have a real plan. It has been said that Frost intends to take the best talent at the time, but I doubt he takes a 4 star QB right now if he is the best available. We have identified areas of need, WR, pass rush, and Secondary as areas of immediate need. These areas have been more than covered with our aggressive approach to recruiting.

In the past our approach to recruiting hasn't been able to define talent like our new staff, so anybody with some stars has been deemed a desirable recruit. Now we have built relationships across the country with recruits who maybe didn't fit in initially with the same thought process that early enrollees did. I honestly think the early signing period helped everyone involved minus the recruits who get massive coaching changes between signing and enrolling periods.

so in conclusion it helped the universities football programs and virtually no one else

I was going in a positive direction and then... the rules happened :ahhhhhhhh

Can someone tell me why again we’re running a 3-4 as a base rather than a 4-3? 3-4 is very reliant on pressure from athletic freaks at OLB, something that is incredibly hard to recruit, especially for Nebraska.

why not return to the 4-3 and rely on pressure from various positions?

11 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Can someone tell me why again we’re running a 3-4 as a base rather than a 4-3? 3-4 is very reliant on pressure from athletic freaks at OLB, something that is incredibly hard to recruit, especially for Nebraska.

why not return to the 4-3 and rely on pressure from various positions?

Because that's Chinander's base defense philosophy.

• Plus1 3