*** 2019 Recruiting ***

8 hours ago, brophog said:

In reality, with all of the fronts, techniques and alignments used by modern defenses it usually boils down to what you want to call it. Almost nobody bases out of a 3-4 or 4-3 by personnel because so very much of football is dominated by 10 or 11 personnel. Many defenses have somebody as a hybrid of sorts, usually a LB/S or DE/OLB, and if they don't they have so many sub-packages as to make any idea of a base defense a moot point.

The very idea of a base defense goes back to when offenses primarily ran the ball and passing was the exception. If anything, modern shotgun oriented schemes have flipped that script. Many organizations that specialize in player evaluation have just begun generalizing based on task, because trying to figure out exactly what position a guy like JJ Watt or Khalil Mack plays is a pointless exercise.

Right. Like in the NFL these days, the real de facto 'base' defense for most teams is nickel, even if they're labeled 4-3 or 3-4.

Then of course, there's what Chinander himself said about his D: "Is there going to three down linemen? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes, sometimes not. The thing I don’t understand – you guys know more about it than I do now – you know, there's a three-technique, a five-technique and a one-technique. This guy's got his hand on the ground and now it's a 4-3. Now he's standing up and it's a 3-4. It's going to be a multiple defense. Sometimes it'll be four guys with their hands down, sometimes three."

In short, don't get too worked up about the labels.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Why can't we just go back to that defense were are DL stands 2 yards off the line of scrimmage - was MR or BP?

I think people complained about that with Pelini the last couple years, then when Riley came the players were happy not to have to think anymore and just attack, but I'm not sure that actually happened, and it definitely didn't happen with Diaco.

40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think people complained about that with Pelini the last couple years, then when Riley came the players were happy not to have to think anymore and just attack, but I'm not sure that actually happened, and it definitely didn't happen with Diaco.

Back in the day when people were happy that Banker was hired because we'd run a "more simple defense" that would "get the best athletes on the field."

Good times.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Back in the day when people were happy that Banker was hired because we'd run a "more simple defense" that would "get the best athletes on the field."

Good times.

Grass is always greener.  Remember the miami QB said it was like playing a high school defense.  I tend to agree with him.  

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even if we figured how to take all of Bivens, Mao, Parker, Njoku and Houston....we still only jump Stanford to be at #19. 

So, our class rank is pretty much what it’s going to be. 

Fyi.....I dont expect to take all of these. 

I know we have great recruits already but doesn’t that sound like a f#&%ing haul?

I know we will miss on one or two, but in my opinion three of those are ours.

What a class. With fit, need and ability all being represented.

Maybe it’s my rose colored glasses but...

damn that looks goood to me.

Really.

Imagining Alabama gets multiple 5 stars on the regular and mostly 4 stars seems like a wet dream for Nebraska. 

While I don’t think we need that to be competitive and possibly great. Due to what I think our coaching can do, and can emphasize via the right people for specific jobs.

The trends in this class and 2020 look tremendous, if we didn’t end up in the top 15 next year in recruiting I would be absolutely shocked.

6 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

I know we have great recruits already but doesn’t that sound like a f#&%ing haul?

I know we will miss on one or two, but in my opinion three of those are ours.

What a class. With fit, need and ability all being represented.

Maybe it’s my rose colored glasses but...

damn that looks goood to me.

Really.

Like you, I think we could get maybe three of these.  Mao, Parker and Njuko or Houston.

As for the class, it's a nice class.  I think we have some really good players in it and, like I've said before, it's nice to be ending it with highly sought after players instead of guys we scramble to find and nobody has ever heard of them before.  

The class in the grand scheme of things though is a little better than our average class, but not that much.  I wouldn't quite say it's an amazing class....but a nice class.  

To me, an amazing class will be when we start gettin the majority of recruits 4 star and up.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Didn't realize the elder Daniels counted against our 30

Yeah, I was fairly sure that was the case as they had always talked about 30 but that included a couple spots for grad transfers.

So we're at 26 right now - not counting Bland.  We definitely want an OLB and a WR.  That would be 28.  I wonder if they'll see where we're at after that and decide what to do about Bland and saving another spot for a grad transfer.  They'd basically be looking at taking two out of Bland, Bivens, Matthew Pola-Mao, Starks/Mayo and saving a spot for one more grad transfer.

Good to have options I guess.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Like you, I think we could get maybe three of these.  Mao, Parker and Njuko or Houston.

As for the class, it's a nice class.  I think we have some really good players in it and, like I've said before, it's nice to be ending it with highly sought after players instead of guys we scramble to find and nobody has ever heard of them before.  

The class in the grand scheme of things though is a little better than our average class, but not that much.  I wouldn't quite say it's an amazing class....but a nice class.  

To me, an amazing class will be when we start gettin the majority of recruits 4 star and up.

The only thing that is persuading me to this assumption is the coaching staff.

In hoping that 90-95 percent of these kids don’t only stay at Nebraska but make an impact in some fashion. Due to the character I think this staff recruits for.... here is hoping!

i would ultimately be happy that 75 percent makes an impact and 80 percent stay, that is a possibility for this class and I feel will only dwindle as classes get “better”

10 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

The only thing that is persuading me to this assumption is the coaching staff.

In hoping that 90-95 percent of these kids don’t only stay at Nebraska but make an impact in some fashion. Due to the character I think this staff recruits for.... here is hoping!

i would ultimately be happy that 75 percent makes an impact and 80 percent stay, that is a possibility for this class and I feel will only dwindle as classes get “better”

I think what you'll find is that the attrition rate for this class will be very similar to the national average.  I can't remember what that is, but the average attrition rate is higher than a lot of people think.

Where I think the staff will make the biggest difference is that they will be able to motivate and develop the top of the class better than previous staffs.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree 100% with the star rating of this post.  The only thing that makes the class better then what it is on paper is that this staff has recruited a body type that they feel they can improve.  They are also (i assume) getting the culture type that they want.  Their ability to develop players should make this class closer to what you are referring to.