Mavric

*** 2019 Recruiting ***

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

We know that Grayson's offer to Nebraska is committable since he is committed.  Was just curious if Tennessee's, TTU's, etc were all committable and if that is why his rating on Rivals is "low" according to swmohusker.

I’ll admit I read none of that crap above. My statement is more in general of Frosts recruiting at Nebraska.

28 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I think it’s fair to assume that all offers made by frost’s staff are committable until that position group is full.

So QB offers are no longer committable I assume and it’s possible RB offers are not committable right now.

I disagree, kind of. 

Maybe they aren't straight up telling kids their offer is non-commitable. But I could see them doing things like telling kids they have to wait and visit before they can commit.... but then Frost&Co can schedule the visit as late in year as they want. 

We have two WR spots available this year and it's been said they'll be picky, therefore they aren't going to take just anyone. 

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I was speaking more in terms of Grayson and his rating being too low or spot on.  swmohusker believes it's too low because of the reported offers.  I am just wondering, because of his injury, if these are all committable offers and if not, does that affect Rivals' rating of a player.

2 star is too low for this kid.  If you factor in film, measurables ,competition, and "reported" offers this kid is not a 2 star kid.  

29 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I disagree, kind of. 

Maybe they aren't straight up telling kids their offer is non-commitable. But I could see them doing things like telling kids they have to wait and visit before they can commit.... but then Frost&Co can schedule the visit as late in year as they want. 

We have two WR spots available this year and it's been said they'll be picky, therefore they aren't going to take just anyone. 

Yeah, that’s possibly also true. I mean, not many dudes are committing immediately after they get offered either.

Just now, swmohusker said:

2 star is too low for this kid.  If you factor in film, measurables ,competition, and "reported" offers this kid is not a 2 star kid.  

So why are they rating him as such?

20 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Possibly because they are still in the process of getting their ratings updated.

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Dont know.   Will he be a better prospect when they bump his ratings up?  Nope.  

He is a 3 star by 247 and ESPN.  Don't think his 2 star by rivals is an indicator of his talent.  That is my opinion and by no means factual.  

3 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Dont know.   Will he be a better prospect when they bump his ratings up?  Nope.  

He is a 3 star by 247 and ESPN.  Don't think his 2 star by rivals is an indicator of his talent.  That is my opinion and by no means factual.  

I thought if guys ratings go up they automatically get faster and more athletic because of their ratings? Thats not true?

• Plus1 1

Two transfers this week but we still have 15 open spots plus 3 is 18.  But everyone seems to expect this class to still push 25.

Priority:

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - THOMAS GRAYSONRAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS, Tyler Goodson, Josh Henderson, Wandale Robinson
WR - 3-4 - Marcus Washington, Mycah Pittman, Kyle Ford, Marlyn Johnson, Jameson Williams, Brieon Fuller, Rashee RiceJamie Nance
TE - 1-2 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, Jayme SimmonsTaylor Miterko, Bryce Benhart, Michael Lynn, Danielson Ike, Chris Okporoghene
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMcKade Mettauer, William Putnam

NT - 1-2 - JUCO Tony Fair, Gio Paez
DE - 2 - ETHAN PIPERTy Robinson, Mosai Newsom, Stephon Wright
LB - 3-4 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, Nick Henrich, Makobe Dean, Spencer Lytle, Ge'mon Eaford, JUCO Jermaine Johnson, Maninoa Tufono, Peni Naulu, Zach Marcheselli, Daniel Heimuli, Kevon Glenn
CB - 2 - Javin Wright, Isaiah Essissima, Tiawan Mullen
S - 2 - Quinton Newsome, Cornelius Nunn

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1

Currently in 33rd for team ranking on 247.

If we land Henrich, Robinson, Hickman, Mullen, Ike, Anderson it basically locks us into 50th based on the 2018 class final rankings which isn’t bad at all considering its with 14 commits only.  It’ll all come down to what Frost can do with the remaining open slots.

Anyone known the number in this class now?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Currently in 33rd for team ranking on 247.

If we land Henrich, Robinson, Hickman, Mullen, Ike, Anderson it basically locks us into 50th based on the 2018 class final rankings which isn’t bad at all considering its with 14 commits only.  It’ll all come down to what Frost can do with the remaining open slots.

Anyone known the number in this class now?

I have heard they are pushing for between 22-25. Guessing thats because of more attrition on the way. So if they add another 10 to that 14 you mentioned. I would see them in the top 20 if its quality guys.

I've said since the beginning for specified college offenses like Frost's the star rating is less meaningful. Of course you don't want a team full of 2/3 stars, but the Pro Style kids out of HS get way more attention. We are locking up the local talent now, and will get a few big names once OV's hit this fall for live games. Take a deep breath boys it's only June. 

23 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I've said since the beginning for specified college offenses like Frost's the star rating is less meaningful. Of course you don't want a team full of 2/3 stars, but the Pro Style kids out of HS get way more attention. We are locking up the local talent now, and will get a few big names once OV's hit this fall for live games. Take a deep breath boys it's only June. 

I agree completely about the star ratings. A system like Frost can take a 3 star kid that has the raw talent and speed equal to a 5 star kid. He may not be as polished as the 5 star kid, thus why he is a 3 star- but Frost's system doesnt need them as polished. He just needs that raw talent and speed and put it in space and let it work. Teams with a more pro style system need that polished kid for their structured system.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree completely about the star ratings. A system like Frost can take a 3 star kid that has the raw talent and speed equal to a 5 star kid. He may not be as polished as the 5 star kid, thus why he is a 3 star- but Frost's system doesnt need them as polished. He just needs that raw talent and speed and put it in space and let it work. Teams with a more pro style system need that polished kid for their structured system.

Edit: Nvrm don't wanna go down that road. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

Agree but their is nothing wrong with getting highly ranked dudes either.

You'll need them eventually.

If that claim was true then Wisconsin's recruiting rankings would be much higher and there would be teams winning national championships who weren't always in the top 5-10 of recruiting rankings every year.

Is the overly dramatic commitment video era over?  I haven't seen one of the recruiting services tweet one out in quite some time.

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Is the overly dramatic commitment video era over?  I haven't seen one of the recruiting services tweet one out in quite some time.

I think after some of these kids committed to like 3 different schools it lost its luster.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think after some of these kids committed to like 3 different schools it lost its luster.

I was thinking the same.  And hopefully that is the case

58 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

41 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

36 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I was thinking the same.  And hopefully that is the case

I think we were wrapped up in our crap season and the quest to get HC Scott Frost, so we just weren't seeing the video commits. I suspect they'll be back in force as signing day gets closer.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I think we were wrapped up in our crap season and the quest to get HC Scott Frost, so we just weren't seeing the video commits. I suspect they'll be back in force as signing day gets closer.

Dude.  It's Friday.  No need to bring everyone down.

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Dude.  It's Friday.  No need to bring everyone down.

I'm just keeping it surreal.

New story on 247 shows we are high on the list for Josh Sanguinetti who we offered June 11. 

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

New story on 247 shows we are high on the list for Josh Sanguinetti who we offered June 11. 

Now that is an offer I can get behind. Nice looking offer list and rating of .93

Random note that may only interest me:

The current average star rating of our commits is higher than the final average of Riley's 2016 class (.8725 vs. .8686)

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Random note that may only interest me:

The current average star rating of our commits is higher than the final average of Riley's 2016 class (.8725 vs. .8686)

As long as it is still higher at the end of Feb 6th of next year.  Nevertheless, that's a good number.

2 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

As long as it is still higher at the end of Feb 6th of next year.  Nevertheless, that's a good number.

Eh, I don't know if I'd say it's a good number.  It's OK given where we are.  But it needs to be higher.

I just thought it was interesting for as much as Riley was praised for his recruiting.  There was lots of flash but not much substance.  After Riley's first year, people were tripping all over themselves to say how great of a job he was doing.  Right now, there is a lot of questions about the guys we are recruiting.  Yet we're better now than we were then. 

It's just odd what things people choose to focus on to form an opinion.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I don't know if I'd say it's a good number.  It's OK given where we are.  But it needs to be higher.

I just thought it was interesting for as much as Riley was praised for his recruiting.  There was lots of flash but not much substance.  After Riley's first year, people were tripping all over themselves to say how great of a job he was doing.  Right now, there is a lot of questions about the guys we are recruiting.  Yet we're better now than we were then. 

It's just odd what things people choose to focus on to form an opinion.

What would be a good number in your opinion? Obviously it needs to be higher, but I was merely basing off of it being a transition class. I don't think it will be a .8800+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the upper .87s., at least for this cycle.

I feel the majority of the current class are the "substance" portion you speak of. Imo the "flash" will come in December and January.

57 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

What would be a good number in your opinion? Obviously it needs to be higher, but I was merely basing off of it being a transition class. I don't think it will be a .8800+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the upper .87s., at least for this cycle.

I feel the majority of the current class are the "substance" portion you speak of. Imo the "flash" will come in December and January.

I agree with you last statement, which is why I say I think the number needs to be higher.

It needs to be higher to compete at the level at which we want to compete.  I'm not going to give up on Frost if it isn't higher in Year 1.  But it still needs to be higher.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree with you last statement, which is why I say I think the number needs to be higher.

It needs to be higher to compete at the level at which we want to compete.  I'm not going to give up on Frost if it isn't higher in Year 1.  But it still needs to be higher.

Until we come out in the 2019 season and dominate everyone all year to an undefeated season and national champs with those players. Then we will all say man- frost sure does know hot to spot talent and coach them up. 

Mic Drop

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Frost and Co. seem to be doing a decent job but not lighting the world on fire.  I think a lot of this class depends on how the season goes.  If we have a 7-5 or 8-4 season with no signature upsets....I see the class ending maybe around the average rating it's at now.  If he can come out maybe have a 9 or 10 win season and knock off one of the big boys on our schedule....I could see a decent pick up in interest from top rated recruits.

This class so far is a class that appears to me that it should be in line with the talent we have on campus which, I firmly believe is good enough to compete for the B1G west championship.

Hopefully we can do that and then start getting the talent on campus that will have us competing for actual conference championships.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No doubt it needs to be higher if we want to not only compete but win those big games. I think if things fall correctly it will be higher this year. Next cycle I'm pretty confident it will be higher.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost and Co. seem to be doing a decent job but not lighting the world on fire.  I think a lot of this class depends on how the season goes.  If we have a 7-5 or 8-4 season with no signature upsets....I see the class ending maybe around the average rating it's at now.  If he can come out maybe have a 9 or 10 win season and knock off one of the big boys on our schedule....I could see a decent pick up in interest from top rated recruits.

This class so far is a class that appears to me that it should be in line with the talent we have on campus which, I firmly believe is good enough to compete for the B1G west championship.

Hopefully we can do that and then start getting the talent on campus that will have us competing for actual conference championships.

I honestly feel what we are seeing now is due to this staff being behind on the '19 class, nor are we coming off of a 13-1/top 10 type season. 

If we have any success on a conference level, recruiting will take off. I think Nebraska winning a division and being competitive in the CCG will look a lot different recruiting wise versus other recent B1G West winner imho. Agree a 7-5 type season will result in a similar average but an 8-4(9-4 with a bowl win) might be enough of a difference.

3 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

I honestly feel what we are seeing now is due to this staff being behind on the '19 class, nor are we coming off of a 13-1/top 10 type season. 

If we have any success on a conference level, recruiting will take off. I think Nebraska winning a division and being competitive in the CCG will look a lot different recruiting wise versus other recent B1G West winner imho. Agree a 7-5 type season will result in a similar average but an 8-4(9-4 with a bowl win) might be enough of a difference.

A lot of it also depends on what the team looks like in those losses.  Do they get their asses handed to them...or, do the look competent, well coached, competitive but lose a close game?

And...do they improve as the year?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

A lot of it also depends on what the team looks like in those losses.  Do they get their asses handed to them...or, do the look competent, well coached, competitive but lose a close game?

And...do they improve as the year?

Honestly, that's the assumption most, including myself, have made. Being competitive and improving as the year wore on. I know it's not good to assume things though.

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

No doubt it needs to be higher if we want to not only compete but win those big games. I think if things fall correctly it will be higher this year. Next cycle I'm pretty confident it will be higher.

Oregon had the #19 and #16 recruiting class with 2 different head coaches in 2 years and went 5-7 and 7-5.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Oregon had the #19 and #16 recruiting class with 2 different head coaches in 2 years and went 5-7 and 7-5.  

• Oregon was coming off a stretch of 8 double-digit win seasons in 9 years
  • Oregon was in the National Championship game twice in the previous six years
  • Oregon won the Rose Bowl twice in the previous five years
  • Oregon is not located in Nebraska
  • June is not February

Other than that, I guess it's comparable.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

• Oregon was coming off a stretch of 8 double-digit win seasons in 9 years
  • Oregon was in the National Championship game twice in the previous six years
  • Oregon won the Rose Bowl twice in the previous five years
  • Oregon is not located in Nebraska
  • June is not February

Other than that, I guess it's comparable.

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal.  It’s silly to even bring it up.

And keep telling yourself it’s only June.  I’m sure all the other schools are taking a wait and see approach too

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal.  It’s silly to even bring it up.

And keep telling yourself it’s only June.  I’m sure all the other schools are taking a wait and see approach too

It is only June. Nebraska also doesn't have the recruiting base Oregon has in California. I get it though.

• Plus1 1

I'm gonna go ahead and confirm that it is infact, still June.

• Plus1 9

My bad.  I keep forgetting you know the thought process of every recruit.

40 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I think things will pick up once we get our official visit count reset.  They've been somewhat handcuffed, no?

Yeah, we've only had two to use since signing day.  So we've been doing everything (basically) without using any OVs.

Frost also said that they'd rather use them in the fall anyway.  But I have to think that they will use at least some earlier in future years.  I'm sure they'd rather wait until the fall, and I don't blame them for that.  But with so many guys making early decisions I think you're about forced to bring some guys in on OVs earlier. I kind of think part of him saying that is just a way to avoid complaining about being out of them.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Chip Kelly’s success and Mark Helfrich’s early Success have zero to do with Mario Cristobal. It’s silly to even bring it up.

So, no recruit that ever came to Nebraska after Osborne was coaching came for any reason that was related to Osborne?

The idea that no recruits are enticed to Oregon based on Oregon's recent history seems much more silly to me. Past success matters to some recruits, even if there is a new coach.

• Plus1 1

I wonder what the data points show as far as average first and second year recruiting rankings for new splash hire head coaches at blue bloods that haven't proven much on the field but have a lot of hype and positive PR coming in from the new big time coach. 

16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I wonder what the data points show as far as average first and second year recruiting rankings for new splash hire head coaches at blue bloods that haven't proven much on the field but have a lot of hype and positive PR coming in from the new big time coach.

It's hard to find direct comparisons because not many are as disadvantaged as Nebraska as far as location, but at the same time have great facilities and a great history. We're pretty unique. Honestly the closest I can think of are Wisconsin, MSU, Iowa, and Kansas State. The latter we obviously have huge advantages over with facilities and history and always out-recruit them. The former we have a history advantage but it doesn't mean much when compared with their recent success.

I did look up Washington. After Petersen's first season (so the equivalent of the 2019 class for Frost), Washington had the 26th rated class. But again, Washington isn't Nebraska. It's much easier to convince 18 year olds to move to Seattle. I'm assuming their facilities aren't as good, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with a top 25 class after all is said and done, but really I think the immediate goal should be to out-recruit the B1G West and start winning. Then better recruiting will follow. This should be the worst W-L record Frost ever has to recruit to, and if we can show some exciting things on offense and defense and win 7+ games, it will help.

Or we could look at Chip Kelly who's in freaking Los Angeles and has 3 commits right now.

• Plus1 1