Mavric

*** 2019 Recruiting ***

Right now we have room for 21.  Everyone seems to expect this class to still push 25.

Priority:

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

DT - Probably still need a HS kid

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 2-3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS, Wandale Robinson, Darwin Barlow
WR - 2-3 - JAMIE NANCEMarcus Washington, Kyle Ford, Marlyn Johnson, Jameson Williams, Brieon Fuller
TE - 1 - Chris Hickman
OT - 3-4 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, MICHAEL LYNN, Jayme SimmonsBryce Benhart, Danielson Ike, Chris Okporoghene, Enokk Vimahi
OG/C - 2 - JUCO DESMOND BLAND

NT - 1-2 - JUCO TONY FAIR
DE - 2-3 - ETHAN PIPERMOSAI NEWSOM, Ty Robinson, Stephon Wright, Adisa Isaac
LB - 4-5 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, NICK HENRICH, Makobe Dean, Maninoa Tufono, Peni Naulu, Zach Marcheselli, Daniel Heimuli, Kevon Glenn, David Gbenda, Brian Ogwu
CB - 2 - QUINTON NEWSOME, Javin Wright, Isaiah Essissima, Tiawan Mullen, Tavian Mayo
S - 2 - Brendan Gant, Jamel Starks, Jalen Catalon

ATH - Kenny Logan

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if it would be legal to mail players a 3D printed offer letter.

In the shape of Memorial stadium with offer printed on the field or like a Frost bust with the offer printed on his forehead?  This has possibilities, what are you thinking?

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if it would be legal to mail players a 3D printed offer letter.

Why not one of the pocket hologram messages from Star Wars?

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Decked said:

Why not one of the pocket hologram messages from Star Wars?

That'd be neat too.

Seriously though, they could make some pretty bad ass 3D printed items for the players. Someone has to be the first one to do it, assuming it doesn't count as a gift. But if we can give them cookies why not a 3D printout? Maybe a little football figurine that looks like them? I don't know enough about the rules. Honestly they could just use the same handful of designs over and over and change the pigment like they do on all of the images they create.

Here's a 3D print of Messi:

710x528_2369108_1979628_1459329554.jpg

• Plus1 2

On 7/27/2018 at 2:15 PM, Landlord said:

I still have the same sense of direction I had before I started relying on GPS. I just don't memorize individual streets/locations in the same way - I still always know which direction I'm going??

As far as apples to oranges - why can't fruit be compared?

Fine.

It’s like comparing apples to the holocaust.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

OL, DB and WR appear to be our biggest needs left in this class. Need 2-3 of each 

We will more than likely take 4 DB.

I'd feel great if we got Wright, Mullen and another OT in the near future. Add some other big dawgs later in the fall. We need CB and OT more than ever 

So, with Newsom, we have <9 spots left.  

I'm wondering how quickly those spots will fill.  Will the staff be very selective going through the season on who they take?  Will we only have a few spots left after the December signing date?

• Plus1 1

Just now, Mavric said:

Commits - 16

Official Visits - 0

This is an extremely good sign for the future recruiting if Frost and Company can have a decent enough season to keep the momentum going into next off season.

Kids obviously really want to come play for them.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm wondering how quickly those spots will fill.  Will the staff be very selective going through the season on who they take?  Will we only have a few spots left after the December signing date?

I have to imagine we’re in the market for more than 25, otherwise they wouldn’t have over half the class filled before fall camp is even in full swing.

imo

1 minute ago, ADS said:

I have to imagine we’re in the market for more than 25, otherwise they wouldn’t have over half the class filled before fall camp is even in full swing.

imo

Any idea if we have any transfers we are expecting. Like are we expecting another 4-5 guys leave by end of fall camp? What are our current numbers? Now that washington is here and assuming watt is good to go.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an extremely good sign for the future recruiting if Frost and Company can have a decent enough season to keep the momentum going into next off season.

Kids obviously really want to come play for them.

Agree with this.  If we can get 8 wins this year, I think kids will be showing up in droves.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would say they'll be pretty picky going forward.  I think they have a really good foundation of the class - local kids, high-three stars who are on rosters of other schools and positions of need.  

We are set at QB and most of our other positions are down to about one spots left so we can afford to be picky.  Probably one more Duck-R, one more WR, one more OT (or possible a JUCO plus a HS) and one more interior OL.  On defense, probably a HS DT, one more DE and one more LB.  The only place we still have quite a bit of work to do is DB.  But other than that, I think we can go after the big fish.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Any idea if we have any transfers we are expecting. Like are we expecting another 4-5 guys leave by end of fall camp? What are our current numbers? Now that washington is here and assuming watt is good to go.

There are pretty much always 2-3 guys who leave for one reason or another.  Might be a couple more as they are still working through adjusting to a new coaching staff.

Right now we have 16 commits and could take at least five more.  But apparently the coaches can plan on having the attrition so they could be planning on 8-10 more.  Most of the speculation I've seen from recruiting guys says plan on 25 so 9-10 spots seems pretty likely.  Maybe even 1-2 more than that.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Agree with this.  If we can get 8 wins this year, I think kids will be showing up in droves.

I would say they'll be pretty picky going forward.  I think they have a really good foundation of the class - local kids, high-three stars who are on rosters of other schools and positions of need.  

We are set at QB and most of our other positions are down to about one spots left so we can afford to be picky.  Probably one more Duck-R, one more WR, one more OT (or possible a JUCO plus a HS) and one more interior OL.  On defense, probably a HS DT, one more DE and one more LB.  The only place we still have quite a bit of work to do is DB.  But other than that, I think we can go after the big fish.

Mr. Tim Beck please know that we have a TE spot to fill and yes it still does exist.

-Husker Nation

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Mr. Tim Beck please know that we have a TE spot to fill and yes it still does exist.

-Husker Nation

:sarcasm

Dude was such a bozo.

Just having some fun this afternoon.

If we add TE Hickman, WR Williams and SDE Robinson, our class rank moves up to 18th with 19 spots filled and possibly 6 more.

From what I'm gathering, we have at least a decent shot with all three of these.

• Plus1 1

Just having some fun this afternoon.

If we add TE Hickman, WR Williams and SDE Robinson, our class rank moves up to 18th with 19 spots filled and possibly 6 more.

From what I'm gathering, we have at least a decent shot with all three of these.

So knowing we will probably be finishing out the class with some higher rated guys now that we have our baseline in place. Lets assume those final 6 spots are all rated around 88. Knowing we will probably get a few guys in the 90s. Roughly what would that put us if we pull down 6 more guys around 88 after those 3 you mentioned?

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So knowing we will probably be finishing out the class with some higher rated guys now that we have our baseline in place. Lets assume those final 6 spots are all rated around 88. Knowing we will probably get a few guys in the 90s. Roughly what would that put us if we pull down 6 more guys around 88 after those 3 you mentioned?

Looking at the average rating for teams last year in the final ranking, that would put us somewhere around the 17-19 range.

Looking at the average rating for teams last year in the final ranking, that would put us somewhere around the 17-19 range.

So if we land 3 guys in the 90s and the other 3 are upper 80s. Its not out of the realm of possibility we could be close to a top 15 class this year. Especially if we push into the 26 or 27 commits range which sounds like the high end of the class size.

23 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So if we land 3 guys in the 90s and the other 3 are upper 80s. Its not out of the realm of possibility we could be close to a top 15 class this year. Especially if we push into the 26 or 27 commits range which sounds like the high end of the class size.

Not really if we end up with 25.  We would need to get up around the 27-28 range with mid 90s players to move into the top 15.  Of course, this is really hard to project because you really don't know where other teams are going to end up and I'm assuming a lot in those calculations.

I was just curious if you take out the stars/ratings and look directly at the offer list for each recruit who would be our highest guy? Most times these correlate together -- proximity to certain schools can help/hurt their cause as well. The place next to their name is their ratings rank for us. Thompkins has the best offer list thus far

1. Ronald Thompkins RB: Ronald Thompkins (4th)
  2. Jackson Hannah LB: Jackson Hannah (6th)
  3. Quinton Newsome CB: Quinton Newsome (8th)
  4. Nick Henrich LB: Nick Henrich (1st)
  5. Luke McCaffrey QB: Luke McCaffrey (2nd)

Desmond Bland (3rd)

Rahmir Johnson (5th)

• Plus1 2

22 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I was just curious if you take out the stars/ratings and look directly at the offer list for each recruit who would be our highest guy? Most times these correlate together -- proximity to certain schools can help/hurt their cause as well. The place next to their name is their ratings rank for us. Thompkins has the best offer list thus far

1. Ronald Thompkins RB: Ronald Thompkins (4th)
  2. Jackson Hannah LB: Jackson Hannah (6th)
  3. Quinton Newsome CB: Quinton Newsome (8th)
  4. Nick Henrich LB: Nick Henrich (1st)
  5. Luke McCaffrey QB: Luke McCaffrey (2nd)

Desmond Bland (3rd)

Rahmir Johnson (5th)

How do you go about rating the offer list?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

How do you go about rating the offer list?

A rating scale from 1-5 on schools who I feel are 'big' offers 

• Plus1 1

Just now, BIG ERN said:

A rating scale from 1-5 on schools who I feel are 'big' offers 

Just curious because I almost feel Newsome has the best offer list just based off of schools on his 247 profile but your method seems legit. Also its unclear how commitable Newsomes offers were. Good stuff!

Per Hail Varsity today. They breakdown the remaining targets per position for the recruiting cycle. They show 9 on here which would take us to 25.

2019 Needs

QB 0 DL 1
RB 0 MLB 0
WR 2 OLB 1
TE 0 DB 3
OL 2 K/P 0
  • Plus1 3

There's a lot of rules around recruiting. 

Can that be legal..? Or why wouldn't coaches do that to every billboard at every major high school? 

I'd assume as long as you're using that same billboard design in other locations not necessarily by football recruits you could claim it was general student recruiting. 

9 hours ago, desertshox said:

Is it an ad recruiting students or one recruiting student athletes? I dont think the ncaa governs recruiting students.

It's not mere coincidence that it is blocks from the top two HS recruits in the state's HS. 

I know Mizzou had about 10 billboards on I-70 coming into Columbia with various messages mostly related to sports (volleyball, football, baseball(?), etc.). If it doesn't have the image of a certain recruit or their name, I would guess it is fine.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, deedsker said:

I know Mizzou had about 10 billboards on I-70 coming into Columbia with various messages mostly related to sports (volleyball, football, baseball(?), etc.). If it doesn't have the image of a certain recruit or their name, I would guess it is fine.

Must be then...... SEC schools always follow the rules

• Plus1 1

Where have all the great Omaha players gone? This is still an amazing stat....

In 10 of the 12 seasons between 1986 and 1997, an I-back from Omaha led the Huskers in rushing.

I still think Kenton Keith was the most overlooked player out of Nebraska that didn't go to Nebraska. Kid was a freak of an athlete, but couldn't stay out of his own way. Would have started for the Colts the next season if he didn't mess up. 

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Where have all the great Omaha players gone? This is still an amazing stat....

In 10 of the 12 seasons between 1986 and 1997, an I-back from Omaha led the Huskers in rushing.

I still think Kenton Keith was the most overlooked player out of Nebraska that didn't go to Nebraska. Kid was a freak of an athlete, but couldn't stay out of his own way. Would have started for the Colts the next season if he didn't mess up. 

Definitely the production of Power 5 prospects out of the Metro has been down for awhile.  Not just RBs - though the run of RBs from there was crazy for a long time - but across the board.