Mavric

*** 2019 Recruiting ***

On 8/30/2018 at 2:41 PM, BigRedBuster said:

What ever.

I forgot about the 85 point.  BUT....that just needs to be ironed out before August 2019.  

No because the 3 over rule is on the 85 limit, not 25 yearly limit. Most they can bring in is enough to get to 88.

2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

No because the 3 over rule is on the 85 limit, not 25 yearly limit. Most they can bring in is enough to get to 88.

Apparently this isn't really the case.  Or at least not exactly.  There is still a three over limit but apparently it's on a soft number, not an exact scholarship count at the time.  You have to turn in to the B1G what number you *think* you'll be at in June and then you can sign three over that.  Basically you can assume some attrition that allows you to go over 88.

Didn't know about that until we did it this year.

So how many OTs do we take this year?  We already have 2 committed, and seem to have some pretty strong interest from a few more.

Its almost like bizarro world compared to prior years - too many OTs!

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So how many OTs do we take this year?  We already have 2 committed, and seem to have some pretty strong interest from a few more.

Likely two more.  One might be a JUCO.  Could probably take three if we wanted to.

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

Im not going to say that till we actually have too many OTs. 

Dedrick Mills is N. Former GT RB. Booted for violating substance abuse policy. Landed at Garden City last year. Played two games and broke his collar bone. 

Just now, ScottyIce said:

Is he RB or WR? I mistook him for a LB once already lol.

Saw he led team in TD? Is that Garden city or GT as a frosh?

RB. Believe that was at GT. Think he had around 800 yards or so if I remember?

1 minute ago, Decked said:

RB. Believe that was at GT. Think he had around 800 yards or so if I remember?

Correct. 2016 he tore it up for GT. 771 Yards and 12 TD's as a true frosh. 

Just saw he's the #1 rated JUCO RB for the next recruiting cycle.

NICE.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just saw he's the #1 rated JUCO RB for the next recruiting cycle.

NICE.

Where are you seeing that?  247 doesn't have anything on him.  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Check his profile again.

0DC2728F-8420-4A40-892A-BD8D25933276.jpeg.b7cfc60921e6a012b5c06aed98df98bd.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ADS said:

Check his profile again.

0DC2728F-8420-4A40-892A-BD8D25933276.jpeg.b7cfc60921e6a012b5c06aed98df98bd.jpeg

/he’s listed as a 2018 recruit that’s why you can’t find him. Appears he’s actually a 2019 guy. 

16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

GT highlights show a guy who is not much flash, North-South, and enjoys contact. Also appears to have good balance. 

Not a guy I would want to be seeing in the 4th quarter if I was an opposing defense. 

Edit: high school film shows some LB, but assuming he is being taken as RB. After watching some more, this guy will make you think twice after trying to tackle him the first time. 

Hmmmm.....a kid that has already played one year of power 5 football at a major program .....put up 775 yards and was a freshman all American....and now is the number 1 JUCO RB....is a 3 Star at .87????

seems way off to me. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmmm.....a kid that has already played one year of power 5 football at a major program .....put up 775 yards and was a freshman all American....and now is the number 1 JUCO RB....is a 3 Star at .87????

seems way off to me. 

JUCO guys are always lower-rated.  I've never really figured out why.  Best guess I've been able to come up with is they are (usually) only around for two years instead of three or four.  I suppose the (assumed) academic risk might play a part in it as well.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

JUCO guys are always lower-rated.  I've never really figured out why.  Best guess I've been able to come up with is they are (usually) only around for two years instead of three or four.  I suppose the (assumed) academic risk might play a part in it as well.

But....you are usually taking about a kid that hasn’t proven he can play at this level. 

This is kid has done that as a freshman. 

Rating systems are supposed to indicate how ready the kid is to play at this level.  If he isn’t an example of a 4 Star.....what is?

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But....you are usually taking about a kid that hasn’t proven he can play at this level. 

This is kid has done that as a freshman. 

Rating systems are supposed to indicate how ready the kid is to play at this level.  If he isn’t an example of a 4 Star.....what is?

He also proved he could get kicked off the team as a sophomore.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

He also proved he could get kicked off the team as a sophomore.

I'm sure there is some of that.

But, I tend to believe it's just laziness at the recruiting sites.  Proof of that is how many times does a JUCO player go completely unranked by these sites?  I think 247 is the only one that has ranked this kid so far.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, I tend to believe it's just laziness at the recruiting sites.  Proof of that is how many times does a JUCO player go completely unranked by these sites?  I think 247 is the only one that has ranked this kid so far.

Mills was a .8543 3 star player out of HS.  He had one pretty good year as a true freshman.  Then he only played 2 games as a JUCO sophomore.

He is now rated .8700

So while not a tremendous jump, he still went up in rankings.  

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I do think they just don't spend as much time rating JUCOs.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Greg Bell was the #1 juco RB in regards to comp score and was still a 3* ...I've always enjoyed following the juco players and I'll say that Mills right now is better than Bell was last year, no questions. The thing about Bell is that he took a drastic change in his body during the off season. Be interesting to see what he can do this year for us 

I’m here to eat some crow and admit that I’m 100% convinced that Luke McCaffrey is a great QB recruit for this class. I was willing to trust the coaches, but I didn’t love that commitment when it happened. Mostly because I felt we could be a little bit selective knowing our offense would generate a lot of interest from recruits once the games started.

But Frost and Verduzco are incredible at development and fine tuning any quirks or deficiencies into our system perfectly. Can’t wait to see what they can do with a great athlete like Luke as well.

8 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I’m here to eat some crow and admit that I’m 100% convinced that Luke McCaffrey is a great QB recruit for this class. I was willing to trust the coaches, but I didn’t love that commitment when it happened. Mostly because I felt we could be a little bit selective knowing our offense would generate a lot of interest from recruits once the games started.

But Frost and Verduzco are incredible at development and fine tuning any quirks or deficiencies into our system perfectly. Can’t wait to see what they can do with a great athlete like Luke as well.

What changed your mind?

• Plus1 1

When we accepted his commitment, there was a lot of talk about how Verduzco trains his QBs in really unconventional ways; basically coaching guys to do some things that are widely perceived as no-no’s. Stuff like throwing off of one foot or throwing late across the body. They have a motto of “by any means necessary,”: just get the ball to the WR.

I watched Milton do it here and there but I didn’t watch a ton of UCF last year. Martinez in game one made a couple of incredible throws by improvising and getting it there “by any means necessary.” Part of the criticisms of McCaffrey as a passer are that he has some of the same habits that are traditionally considered no-no’s. But we have an innovative staff, great coaching, and a brilliant game plan and I think we will maximize McCaffrey’s ability.

To answer more succinctly, I saw first hand that the staff is no joke about how they develop passers. Not that I doubted it, but seeing it with my own eyes now, I don’t care who they offer at QB, he’s the right guy for the job.

• Thanks 1

We will get Javin Wright. We are working on some other CBs that haven't fully come into the light yet...we need kids at that position as bad as we need OTs 

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This staff going 5-5 on their in state offers is impressive

Yeah, been a while since I recall getting everyone we wanted in state.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, its been a long time since 2017

I think he meant everyone in the state when other programs actually wanted them too. Lately when we have had legit competition we have not done well. 

We we have cleaned up with kids who the competition is North Dakota state 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, like in 2017 when the top rated in-state prospect had offers from Iowa and UCLA 

I said legit competition. 

Also even if we give you a pass on that- Jurgens is 1 top rated kid and loved Nebraska we didn’t even need to try. He committed as a soph

guessing noah fant plays for NU if frost was here 

maybe even the OL out in Stanford or the myriad of other talent playing elsewhere 

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

Forgot that we landed Bryson Williams last year.

Sigh.  Williams was a 2018

You conveniently didn't post 2017 - Allen, Walker, Bradley (and Bando if you want to count him).

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sigh.  Williams was a 2018

You conveniently didn't post 2017 - Allen, Walker, Bradley (and Bando if you want to count him).

Sigh... semi-confusing when you said we held off LSU in 2017... welll that was the 2018 class (Jurgens) 

Who did UCLA want in 2017 class?

I didn’t conveniently leave it out, it won’t let me post it. Too large of a file somehow.