*** 2019 Recruiting ***

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ya... I have no reason to doubt them with recruiting and I'm gonna wait a couple years before doing so, but hopefully they realize they need to recruit higher caliber players than they had at UCF. I believe they can coach players up, but Nebraska plays much tougher teams during the season. I'm assuming this season they just think they're too far behind to try to go after a bunch of 4 and 5 star players. The offer to a 2020 5 star player might be evidence of that.

I am not going to argue with any of the points in the above posts.  Because I definitely agree with them.  I don't think you can live at a high level on developing mid-three-star guys.  And I think you can shoot higher, start with a higher floor and develop those guys.

I think the biggest point is - as you said - we're a long ways from having the first class done.  And I definitely think it will look different in future classes.  The offers for 2020 already look different.

But I don't think a lot of the guys that are getting offered right now are their top picks.  They are Plan B and C guys who they're laying a foundation with in case they don't get the bigger fish they're after this fall when they can (hopefully) get them here for a game and have some results to show them.

I would be taking more of a look at the commits than the offers.  Judging strictly by recruiting rankings, we have four guys who are a take in any class - McCaffrey, Johnson, Hannah and Bland (top JUCO guy at a position of need).  We also have three of the top in-state guys.  In-state guys tend to be lower-rated but we need to grab a few each year.  That really only leaves Grayson as a guy who's rating would make you question it.  But his injury could well be affecting his ranking.  If he ends up as (at least) a high-three-star, there's really no issue there.

Plus, we are only about one-third full.  If we continue to take commitments from mid-three-star guys, that would be cause for concern.  If we work into some high-three-star and four-star guys for most of the rest of the class, it will look pretty good in February.

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I am not going to argue with any of the points in the above posts.  Because I definitely agree with them.  I don't think you can live at a high level on developing mid-three-star guys.  And I think you can shoot higher, start with a higher floor and develop those guys.

I think the biggest point is - as you said - we're a long ways from having the first class done.  And I definitely think it will look different in future classes.  The offers for 2020 already look different.

But I don't think a lot of the guys that are getting offered right now are their top picks.  They are Plan B and C guys who they're laying a foundation with in case they don't get the bigger fish they're after this fall when they can (hopefully) get them here for a game and have some results to show them.

I would be taking more of a look at the commits than the offers.  Judging strictly by recruiting rankings, we have four guys who are a take in any class - McCaffrey, Johnson, Hannah and Bland (top JUCO guy at a position of need).  We also have three of the top in-state guys.  In-state guys tend to be lower-rated but we need to grab a few each year.  That really only leaves Grayson as a guy who's rating would make you question it.  But his injury could well be affecting his ranking.  If he ends up as (at least) a high-three-star, there's really no issue there.

Plus, we are only about one-third full.  If we continue to take commitments from mid-three-star guys, that would be cause for concern.  If we work into some high-three-star and four-star guys for most of the rest of the class, it will look pretty good in February.

Spot on post. Also, Frost does not want to play the commitment game where kids want to be recruited. He will recruit those four stars hard toward the signing periods with a built relationship so we can sign them and close on them without repercussions. We are still a little behind but most four stars want to wait a while and see who fits them best. They also tend to flip-flop because they realize all the attention they get. 

@Mavric @Moiraine I agree with what both of you said.  

I've been on huskerboard since solich. Frost is being given a lot of Golden Boy Messiah good graces right now. 

And that's cool too, I'm hopeful. 

There has been a running narrative for years now through multiple coaches. They can recruit but not develop but this new coach will get it right. Or these recruits are Diamonds in the Rough. Or this is the year we get a top 10 class. Or at least they're getting top talent to visit . It always ends up the same. 

I think because of his history with Nebraska there is a reason to believe that Frost frost can be successful. But the narrative remains.

• Plus1 4
On June 8, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Mavric said:

That really only leaves Grayson as a guy who's rating would make you question it.

RB analysis, at all levels of the sport, has always been messy. So many external variables, like playcalling and line play, or strength of opposition. It makes it easier at this position than many others for high quality backs to be underrated.

I really like his tape, fwiw. Decisive, no dancing, hits the hole fast, let's his speed be an asset. 

51 minutes ago, brophog said:

RB analysis, at all levels of the sport, has always been messy. So many external variables, like playcalling and line play, or strength of opposition. It makes it easier at this position than many others for high quality backs to be underrated.

I really like his tape, fwiw. Decisive, no dancing, hits the hole fast, let's his speed be an asset. 

I do like his tape.  Though that's always a little bit tough to tell - level of competition, etc.

I'm not against Grayson at all.  But his rating is kind of low.  I'm interested to see how he performs this fall.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I do like his tape.  Though that's always a little bit tough to tell - level of competition, etc.

I'm not against Grayson at all.  But his rating is kind of low.  I'm interested to see how he performs this fall.

I would say his competition level is pretty darn good. His HS is 6A-II state champs. They are one of the best teams in OK and that top level is chalk full of on the field talent and has a high caliber of football coaches.  Tulsa HS football is about like Texas in their fandom and competitiveness.  

I think the hardest thing about evaluating RB's at the HS level is how misleading stats can be.  To be a big time D1 RB you need to have some great measurables.  Stats can be misleading, but size and speed are a pretty spot on.  For a speed guy this kid has some wiggle to him, and can run thru arm tackles when need be.  

I wasn’t attempting to speak for other posters, just sharing what John Talman and Sharp had to say about all the offers to the mid-grade offers. It’s similar to Matt Campbell at ISU. The cohesion of the staff has allowed them to narrow down their shotgun offer approach based on experience of coaching together and having a plan - not just on the field, but also roles for specific kids. Like every staff, they’ll miss on kids and like Mav stated, gotta build a foundation, but when we read or listen to the coaches speak publicly, their message is consistent and their plan is clear.

Thats not honeymooning, Mike Hughes and Shaqueem Griffin are the proof in the pudding.

12 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I would disagree with his rivals rating.   Reporting offers from Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas tech, colorado, and Syracuse should at the bare minimum get you a 5.5 3 star.  

Do we know that all of those offers are committable offers?  Would that make a difference?  

NOW BEFORE ANYONE TRIES TO PICK ANOTHER FIGHT WITH ME, I'M ASKING A QUESTION NOT TO DOWNGRADE THE PLAYER OR THE OFFER OR THE COACH OR THE AD OR THE S&C COACH OR THE RECRUITING COORDINATOR.....

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Do we know that all of those offers are committable offers?  Would that make a difference?  

NOW BEFORE ANYONE TRIES TO PICK ANOTHER FIGHT WITH ME, I'M ASKING A QUESTION NOT TO DOWNGRADE THE PLAYER OR THE OFFER OR THE COACH OR THE AD OR THE S&C COACH OR THE RECRUITING COORDINATOR.....

That is a very good question. Offers and commitable offers are 2 very different things. I do think no one can argue the caliber of players they are offering for the 20 class is much higher than the 19 class.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

That is a very good question. Offers and commitable offers are 2 very different things. I do think no one can argue the caliber of players they are offering for the 20 class is much higher than the 19 class.

I was speaking more in terms of Grayson and his rating being too low or spot on.  swmohusker believes it's too low because of the reported offers.  I am just wondering, because of his injury, if these are all committable offers and if not, does that affect Rivals' rating of a player.

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I think it’s fair to assume that all offers made by frost’s staff are committable until that position group is full.

So QB offers are no longer committable I assume and it’s possible RB offers are not committable right now.

We know that Grayson's offer to Nebraska is committable since he is committed.  Was just curious if Tennessee's, TTU's, etc were all committable and if that is why his rating on Rivals is "low" according to swmohusker.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***