Jump to content
Mavric

*** 2019 Recruiting ***

Recommended Posts

25 commits right now.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.  I think it will be a couple less than that.  Maybe a spot or two for walk-ons as well.

 

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS, John Bivens
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0-1 - 
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoJamel Starks
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNoa Pola-Gates

  

 Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frost in his interview said the focus will be an OLB/ pass rusher, WR depth (my guess Njoku or D. Houston), CB (Pola- Gates or Starks as plan B)

 

He did dasay he would take young talent no matter the position but did specifically say DL (Pola-Mao I’d assume)

 

Any thoughts on OLB/ pass rush prospects? Chester Graves?

 

Excited to see the staff get on the 2020 class too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

25 commits right now.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.  I think it will be a couple less than that.  Maybe a spot or two for walk-ons as well.

 

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS, John Bivens
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASE, WANDALE ROBINSON
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3 - MATTHEW ANDERSONBRYCE BENHART, JIMMY FRITZSCHE
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMICHAEL LYNN

NT - 0-1 - 
DE - 4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMBRANT BANKSTY ROBINSON
ILB - 3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICHGARRETT SNODGRASS

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT NELSON, JAMIN GRAHAM

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoJamel Starks, Nehemiah Pritchett
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNoa Pola-Gates

  

 Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, WRobinson, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Banks, Henrich, Nelson

Bland is a may graduate now and I think mills is too. Nehemiah Pritchett signed with auburn. I think it might be time to add Charles Njoku and Matthew Pola-Mao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I listened to an interview with frost at the end of the day and he talked about a couple more signees.  Any guesses?

Only thing I can think of is Pola-Gates and his cousin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I listened to an interview with frost at the end of the day and he talked about a couple more signees.  Any guesses?

Pola Gates and pola mao is my guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Pola Gates and pola mao is my guess 

 

Just throwing out a theory.... Do you think Pola- Gates and Pola-Mao actually signed today but told the media that they weren't signing until February just to keep it a secret as long as possible.. Then they can announce they signed with Nebraska at the Poly Bowl?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Young Grand Island Husker said:

Bland is a may graduate now and I think mills is too. Nehemiah Pritchett signed with auburn. I think it might be time to add Charles Njoku and Matthew Pola-Mao

 

Thanks.  Thought I got Pritchett off there but obviously not.  I'm waiting to add the other two until there is a confirmed visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

 

Just throwing out a theory.... Do you think Pola- Gates and Pola-Mao actually signed today but told the media that they weren't signing until February just to keep it a secret as long as possible.. Then they can announce they signed with Nebraska at the Poly Bowl?

 

The problem with that is they would have to let other coaches know their decision. Probably more trouble than it’s worth and it would surely get out somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are at 82 scholarship guys right now.  We have two JUCO commits who haven't signed yet and a report of a DT transfer from Oklahoma State.  That would be 85.

 

So for anyone else we take either one of those last three isn't going to show up or someone else currently on the team is leaving.

 

Not that that's particularly shocking.  Just something interesting to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So for anyone else we take either one of those last three isn't going to show up or someone else currently on the team is leaving.

No worries, we still have a few players from '17 class.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random nugget via HOL:

 

11 players in this class are listed at 6-4 or taller

 

There are only 17 other players currently on the roster that fit that description

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just listened to the part of the Frost interview again where he is talking about more signees. He said he is expecting a few more signees this week. Then he says he is expecting to sign 30 for this class- then says so that will give us 4 more spots to fill. So that sounds like he is expecting 3 more to put us at 26 signed for the early signing. I think we all expect mills to be one of those 3. So that leaves 2 mystery signees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Random nugget via HOL:

 

11 players in this class are listed at 6-4 or taller

 

There are only 17 other players currently on the roster that fit that description

That’s a lot of beef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ADS said:

That’s a lot of beef.

That was my thought looking at pictures of our recruits. Most are already big, athletic looking dudes but you can tell they can still add weight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mavric said:

We are at 82 scholarship guys right now.  We have two JUCO commits who haven't signed yet and a report of a DT transfer from Oklahoma State.  That would be 85.

 

So for anyone else we take either one of those last three isn't going to show up or someone else currently on the team is leaving.

 

Not that that's particularly shocking.  Just something interesting to watch.

 

Does Weinmaster's retirement open another scholarship for this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positions we will take for the rest of this class include 4 defense and 2 offense. There is a possibility of a grad transfer OLB instead of a high school one but we will have to see how things play out. 

1 Safety, 1 Corner- Gates and I will say Starks or DJ James takes the corner spot as Mayo seems to be going elsewhere.

1 Nose, 1 OLB- Pola-Mao and either Asante or a grad transfer. A young NT would be very good for us and a grad transfer OLB would be welcome and if we miss there we take Asante. 

1 Wr- Houston or Njoku is all we have on our radar right now. Houston would be a complete steal at this point in the game. 

1 RB- Bivens- might be a take regardless of Mills status, he could also take a WR spot if we miss on our remaining wideouts. We will need to see where attrition hits us so the January visit is perfect for him. 

 

As of now, that is 6 spots and in total puts us at 31 for the class if all goes to plan. Maybe we back count or we figure something out. Any attrition could also play a factor in these numbers- ie Bradley leaving the team would lead us to most likely take another RB such as Bivens. Not sure if Weinmaster leaving allows us to take 31, but there should be around 3 or so players that I predict will leave the team before or after Spring ball. Nothing confirming this at all just how it goes in today's college football and it is healthy for a team that needs players to contribute or move on.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Positions we will take for the rest of this class include 4 defense and 2 offense. There is a possibility of a grad transfer OLB instead of a high school one but we will have to see how things play out. 

1 Safety, 1 Corner- Gates and I will say Starks or DJ James takes the corner spot as Mayo seems to be going elsewhere.

1 Nose, 1 OLB- Pola-Mao and either Asante or a grad transfer. A young NT would be very good for us and a grad transfer OLB would be welcome and if we miss there we take Asante. 

1 Wr- Houston or Njoku is all we have on our radar right now. Houston would be a complete steal at this point in the game. 

1 RB- Bivens- might be a take regardless of Mills status, he could also take a WR spot if we miss on our remaining wideouts. We will need to see where attrition hits us so the January visit is perfect for him. 

 

As of now, that is 6 spots and in total puts us at 31 for the class if all goes to plan. Maybe we back count or we figure something out. Any attrition could also play a factor in these numbers- ie Bradley leaving the team would lead us to most likely take another RB such as Bivens. Not sure if Weinmaster leaving allows us to take 31, but there should be around 3 or so players that I predict will leave the team before or after Spring ball. Nothing confirming this at all just how it goes in today's college football and it is healthy for a team that needs players to contribute or move on.

 

I agree with everything you said, but would add Josh Sanguinetti to your DB list. He was supposed to visit in November but we asked him to reschedule; and he still hasn't signed with anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, swmohusker said:

UAB de commit.  His recruitment seems to be blowing up a bit. 

 

 

Define “blowing up”. 

 

Who else, other than Nebraska, is interested or has offered?

  • Eyeroll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Define “blowing up”. 

 

Who else, other than Nebraska, is interested or has offered?

 

Colorado, and I think that's it for P5 schools.... He has a thread in the 2019 profiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Colorado, and I think that's it for P5 schools.... He has a thread in the 2019 profiles.

I saw the thread. 

 

I specifically wanted to ask about the “blowing up” comment. 

 

didn't know if there were more offers that haven’t been mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw the thread. 

 

I specifically wanted to ask about the “blowing up” comment. 

 

didn't know if there were more offers that haven’t been mentioned. 

 

Ah, gotcha. Not that I know of. So yeah, blowing up might be an exaggeration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont see a profile but the staff is working on  4️ DE Steven Parker who recently decommited from Texas Tech. 

 

 

Frost, Chinander and Dewitt have all recently spoken with him. Looking to get a January visit set up. 

 

Also considering Kansas, Colorado and Arizona State. 

 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/steven-parker-201453

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw the thread. 

 

I specifically wanted to ask about the “blowing up” comment. 

 

didn't know if there were more offers that haven’t been mentioned. 

He went from UAB and tenn chatanooga to getting offers from colorado, nebraska, and miss st. The colorado offer is from the new coach that was at georgia and thinks highly of the kid.  I would say that his recruitment is taking off.  He is a basketball kid that turns out to be a pretty darn good football player.  I would not be surprised if the offers keep coming im for this guy.  Lot of potential and the pool is much shallower after the early signing period.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, swmohusker said:

He went from UAB and tenn chatanooga to getting offers from colorado, nebraska, and miss st. The colorado offer is from the new coach that was at georgia and thinks highly of the kid.  I would say that his recruitment is taking off.  He is a basketball kid that turns out to be a pretty darn good football player.  I would not be surprised if the offers keep coming im for this guy.  Lot of potential and the pool is much shallower after the early signing period.  

Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Richt is out at Miami....I doubt we could pull some of them out of Florida, but they have 3 great defenders that would go well here 

Except it looks like all of their players but one signed a letter of intent. Unless a coaching change breaks that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Except it looks like all of their players but one signed a letter of intent. Unless a coaching change breaks that

 

It does not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, desertshox said:

only a matter of time before football follows basketball and they allow transfers without having to sit out a year.

Didn't Copeland and Palmer both have to sit a year for the basketball team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Didn't Copeland and Palmer both have to sit a year for the basketball team?

yes 

4 hours ago, desertshox said:

only a matter of time before football follows basketball and they allow transfers without having to sit out a year.

They need to make it say that if the HC leaves you are free to transfer without being penalized. What Diaz just did to all those kids that signed early with Temple is so messed up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

yes 

They need to make it say that if the HC leaves you are free to transfer without being penalized. What Diaz just did to all those kids that signed early with Temple is so messed up. 

And same goes for the kids at Miami with Richt retiring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

And same goes for the kids at Miami with Richt retiring

Yep, if your HC bails on you you can bail too. It is really simple actually and puts a little skin in the game for everyone involved instead of just the athletes 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Yep, if your HC bails on you you can bail too. It is really simple actually and puts a little skin in the game for everyone involved instead of just the athletes 

Sounds good in theory until 40 guys leave and there’s just 45 left and you can’t play next fall.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Sounds good in theory until 40 guys leave and there’s just 45 left and you can’t play next fall.

I'm talking about recruiting classes. Guys that arent on campus yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't find a profile for Soni Fonua

 

 

Edit:

 

Here's his 247 Profile

 

It shows him as a 264 lb DE. I thought he was an OLB, but probably not at that size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nebraska fans on February 7th :lol:

 

 

IMG_20190105_214916.jpg

I love this meme, but am I the only one in the world who thinks the lady on the right is more attractive? Maybe it's the angry look...which is what I want to see out of this 2019 class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I love this meme, but am I the only one in the world who thinks the lady on the right is more attractive? Maybe it's the angry look...which is what I want to see out of this 2019 class!

 

:lol: I always thought it looked like the same girl! Still does to me.:dunno

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×