*** 2019 Recruiting ***

While valuable time was lost, there is still plenty of time to make up ground. A good showing on the field could do alot for us down the stretch. We started out on fire with the '18 cycle but lost pretty much all of those big time commits and we still ended up well. I have faith in this staffs closing ability. 

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

The discussion in the new OT offer’s thread does bring me back to why I was a little hesitant about Frost coaching through the bowl game. The staff hit the ground running and obviously had plans and back-up plans as evidenced by the JUCO guys they targeted. They really did a dynamite job all things considered to close out the 2018 recruiting class. Only regret is that we didn’t sign that JUCO OLB who signed with Tennessee as I think he was an immediate impact player.

But those last couple months are vital to the 2019 recruiting class as well. It’s an important time to set up the board and figure out the plan for the next year, and I think our staff was a little bit behind the 8 ball because they had so much 2018 recruiting to still handle. Not trying to be pessimistic or say that the sky is falling or anything like that. We will see how this cycle goes, I figure some of it will be tied to how we look in the season.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  It definitely wasn't ideal.

But it also helped us in recruiting as well.  There have been a ton of comments about "seeing what they did at UCF" and "impressed that they stuck around" so I still think it was an overall net gain but that doesn't mean it was perfect.

I think the biggest hurdle we're facing right now is the big guys want to play for conference championships and playoff appearances.  They don't want to play for 4-8 teams.  So it's going to take some on-field results to start really drawing the higher-rated guys our way.  Until then, I think the staff is doing what they can to give themselves options.  There's no doubt that a bunch of these offers are uncommittable at this point but they seems to be wanting to have fall-back options in case they don't get the bigger guys to come our way rather than hope we get the bigger guys and don't have a backup plan if we don't.

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

The discussion in the new OT offer’s thread does bring me back to why I was a little hesitant about Frost coaching through the bowl game. The staff hit the ground running and obviously had plans and back-up plans as evidenced by the JUCO guys they targeted. They really did a dynamite job all things considered to close out the 2018 recruiting class. Only regret is that we didn’t sign that JUCO OLB who signed with Tennessee as I think he was an immediate impact player.

But those last couple months are vital to the 2019 recruiting class as well. It’s an important time to set up the board and figure out the plan for the next year, and I think our staff was a little bit behind the 8 ball because they had so much 2018 recruiting to still handle. Not trying to be pessimistic or say that the sky is falling or anything like that. We will see how this cycle goes, I figure some of it will be tied to how we look in the season.

Situations like this are why recruiting builds over time.  They did a great job in 2018 for what they had to work with and the time frame.  I think they will do a decent job in 2019.  But, moving forward, I think every year they will have better and more relationships with recruits and coaches.  They will also (hopefully) have good success on the field to help build the momentum.  

Every year you build off the last and continual improvement.

• Plus1 2

I think this is a lot of why we're seeing all kinds of offers for the 2019 class - they're still playing catch-up.  It's not nearly the same case with the 2020 class.  But it's what they have to do for now.

"I let those guys be them, and every situation is a little different," the Nebraska head coach told Husker 247 on Thursday. "Ideally we'd want it that we would identify kids, the position coach would watch the tape, then the coordinator, then I'd watch it, and if everybody's on the same page, we'd give them an offer. A little bit this year, since we're playing catch-up on this class, since we just got to Nebraska, we've had to wing it a little bit.

"But we're really on the same page as a coaching staff in what we're looking for at each position and what type of traits we value. I trust our coaches to make good decisions whenever I'm not available to help with it."

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

How do you know?  Do you know what the coaches are thinking?

Yep.  I always claim to know exactly what the coaches are thinking.  You can tell by the part where I said nothing about what the coaches are thinking.

Just now, Mavric said:

Yep.  I always claim to know exactly what the coaches are thinking.  You can tell by the part where I said nothing about what the coaches are thinking.

You claim to know when they have or haven't "caught up" based on my comments about offers.  I'm not sure why you have to argue with me about my opinions on recruiting but I'm game.  It's evident you have it out for anyone that has even the slightest view different than total sunshine about the coaching staff.

• Plus1 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

You claim to know when they have or haven't "caught up" based on my comments about offers.  I'm not sure why you have to argue with me about my opinions on recruiting but I'm game.  It's evident you have it out for anyone that has even the slightest view different than total sunshine about the coaching staff.

That's nothing like what the case is.  You seem to enjoy being adversarial.  Then when you're called on it you try to play it off like you're just asking but it took you all of one day to go back to being adversarial again.  

I have no issue with what anyone thinks about the staff.  I think it's pretty early to make any sort of absolutes either way but I think there are a lot of signs that point in the positive direction and relatively few that point the other way.  So I don't see much point in being negative right now but whatever works for you.

It's fairly easy to know what the staff is thinking when they COME OUT AND SAY WHAT THEY'RE THINKING.  Or are you going to try to argue that when Frost said "since we're playing catch-up on this class" he meant something other than they're playing catch-up?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That's nothing like what the case is.  You seem to enjoy being adversarial.  Then when you're called on it you try to play it off like you're just asking but it took you all of one day to go back to being adversarial again.  

I have no issue with what anyone thinks about the staff.  I think it's pretty early to make any sort of absolutes either way but I think there are a lot of signs that point in the positive direction and relatively few that point the other way.  So I don't see much point in being negative right now but whatever works for you.

It's fairly easy to know what the staff is thinking when they COME OUT AND SAY WHAT THEY'RE THINKING.  Or are you going to try to argue that when Frost said "since we're playing catch-up on this class" he meant something other than they're playing catch-up?

My point is how can they still be playing catch up if they have offered 338 kids based on the evaluation process he mentioned?  He's just talking knowing people will buy whatever he's saying right now.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***