*** 2019 Recruiting ***

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Totally agree.  However, there are a lot of other factors contributing to how well they do once they get here.  Obviously you hope you are getting guys who will develop into the players you hope they will be.  But player development is a separate - though related - issue from recruiting, imo.  

So I think comparing recruiting classes is fair.  And this class has the chance to be one of the top classes on that list in regards to how it is rated.  Which is awfully good considering they were at least a year behind recruiting most of these guys.

Hey...I enjoy comparing recruiting classes and think it's useful as a part of the equation.

Another thing that will help the program out as far as recruiting goes.  I think Frost is instilling a culture where players won't be able to come in as a highly recruited player and stuff off for 3-4 years and never contribute.  Hopefully, the program and players will hold them accountable from day one.  Either do what it takes to help the team....or you're more than welcome to move on.

No more players like Barnett come in and eat the training table empty and never contribute.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Like what? Let the tourists fill up the beaches and disney.

idk about stanford specifically, but in general the more populated and urban the area is to live in the more options and variety always exist

If you're in a city there's a good chance that there are several local sports teams vying for your money and attention, as well as more (maybe endless) options on things like dining, social clubs, shows/concerts/community events, parks, people to hang out with, etc.

It's not that they have tons of unique things that other places don't, but more that they have 100x the options of the same things that other places also have. 

For example, around me in Chicago this week I've got 3 friends with shows, 4 different pumpkin patches going on, 5 different themed pop up bars, the Bears, the Blackhawks, the Bulls, Northwestern, two zoos with fall/holiday events, three shows i'm interested in that aren't my friends, a filmmaker showcase, haunted boat tours, special screenings of classic horror films all over the city, so on and so forth. And that's just a small smattering of special events to this week and not including everything else that's always available. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

For example, around me in Chicago this week I've got 3 friends with shows, 4 different pumpkin patches going on, 5 different themed pop up bars, the Bears, the Blackhawks, the Bulls, Northwestern, two zoos with fall/holiday events, three shows i'm interested in that aren't my friends, a filmmaker showcase, haunted boat tours, special screenings of classic horror films all over the city, so on and so forth. And that's just a small smattering of special events to this week and not including everything else that's always available. 

You had me until pumpkin patches

• Haha 5

Yeah, but we’re 2-6 and still filling up the stadium for the most part. ALL of the energy is foucused on our football team even tho the wins haven’t come yet. 2 ranked teams playing on gorgeous weather and the stadium is 1/5th full???

gimmie Lincoln with a losing team and an atmosphere that rivals none any day as college football player...let the places “with things to do” do their thing. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

idk about stanford specifically, but in general the more populated and urban the area is to live in the more options and variety always exist

If you're in a city there's a good chance that there are several local sports teams vying for your money and attention, as well as more (maybe endless) options on things like dining, social clubs, shows/concerts/community events, parks, people to hang out with, etc.

It's not that they have tons of unique things that other places don't, but more that they have 100x the options of the same things that other places also have. 

the really weird thing about having all those options, there are more people to attend all of them. so yes, more things to do but more people to do them all.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, I am I said:

Yeah, but we’re 2-6 and still filling up the stadium for the most part. ALL of the energy is foucused on our football team even tho the wins haven’t come yet. 2 ranked teams playing on gorgeous weather and the stadium is 1/5th full???

gimmie Lincoln with a losing team and an atmosphere that rivals none any day as college football player...let the places “with things to do” do their thing. 

I agree. If I was a recruit I dont want to hear excuses about why people dont bother to come to the games. Should it make them feel better about playing in a half empty stadium because their fans would rather go to the pumpkin patch or a concert. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Landlord said:

:blink:

When we moved to a small town in central Nebraska from a more populated area, our friends asked...."But, what are you going to do in a small town?"  Well......our lives actually got busier.

For the record, just in our own small town, we have HS sports, a pumpkin patch, Movie theater for "shows", lakes for great fishing and water sports, hunting, hockey games 45 minutes away (probably less drive time than many in Chicago for sporting events) three bars, Hospital Benefit Ball this Saturday....bla bla bla bla.......

On any given Saturday, I could EASILY find something else to do for fun.

And....like someone said.....in LA, there are more people to go to all those things.  So.....the excuse is idiotic and tiresome.