*** 2019 Recruiting ***

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Has Armstrong done something bad since taking over?

He's been very inconsistent.  Maybe he'll get better in the off season but he's done nothing to this point to deserve a scholarship.  He's had some impressive kicks and some others where I could have kicked it farther.  Here are his stats so far:

DATE  OPP                          RESULT   PUNTS AVG LNG

YDS

10/6 @Wisconsin L 41-24 2     53.5 59 107
10/13 @Northwestern L 34-31 (OT) 5     45.8 57 229
10/20 Minnesota W 53-28 3     41.7 46 125
10/27 Bethune-Cookman W 45-9 3     57.3 73 172
11/3 @Ohio State L 36-31 7     38.6 54 270
11/10 Illinois W 54-35 4     43.3 55 173
3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

He's been very inconsistent.  Maybe he'll get better in the off season but he's done nothing to this point to deserve a scholarship.  Here are his stats so far:

DATE  OPP                          RESULT   PUNTS AVG LNG

YDS

10/6 @Wisconsin L 41-24 2     53.5 59 107
10/13 @Northwestern L 34-31 (OT) 5     45.8 57 229
10/20 Minnesota W 53-28 3     41.7 46 125
10/27 Bethune-Cookman W 45-9 3     57.3 73 172
11/3 @Ohio State L 36-31 7     38.6 54 270
11/10 Illinois W 54-35 4     43.3 55 173

Forgive me if I'm not understanding but this looks like he has punted 24 times for 1,075 yards.  That's a 44.8 average.

The top team in the country is averaging 44.13 in net punting

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/98

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Forgive me if I'm not understanding but this looks like he has punted 24 times for 1,075 yards.  That's a 44.8 average.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I don't know how the stat works but a 44.8 punting average by Armstrong would be good for 15th in the country.  Maybe there is a minimum number of punts needed?

I don't either and maybe he's doing better than I'm giving him credit for.  Just seems like he's had some clunkers that have made me smh and given teams favorable field position at some terrible times.

The 73-yarder certainly helps the average a little bit. Without it, he is averaging 43.6. I don't think we should ignore it, but it definitely skews the numbers a little bit.

What's wild is it could’ve been quite a bit longer, maybe even a school record. Flipping the field like that is exactly what we should want in a punter. The inconsistency though...

Either way, I'm a bit puzzled by the offer. The coaches know better than me!

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Are the stats that were posted here net or just distance? If it's just distance it won't account for touchbacks like the net yards you found. 

Also a lot of those long kicks were due to bounces when returners mistakenly let it bounce. I'm much more comfortable with him back there now but this offer seems to show the staff wants better. 

11 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

According to the coaches and Schaefer, it doesn't.  idk

Schaefer said something like that.  But I think you're finessing it a bit.  He didn't say it didn't hurt.  He said it wasn't as big of a deal as many like to make it out to be.  He said just getting them to visit - not necessarily for game day - is pretty similar.  Which is probably true.  But not the same as saying it doesn't hurt.

Also, if the coaches said something this week, I didn't see it.  I'd be curious what they said.  Frost has said since he got here that he really wants guys here on a game day.  He claimed - though I bet his tune changes at least somewhat - that he doesn't want to bring a lot of guys in during the spring, instead wanting them to wait for a game.  So while he also may be down-playing it some, I don't think he would say it doesn't matter.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Schaefer said something like that.  But I think you're finessing it a bit.  He didn't say it didn't hurt.  He said it wasn't as big of a deal as many like to make it out to be.  He said just getting them to visit - not necessarily for game day - is pretty similar.  Which is probably true.  But not the same as saying it doesn't hurt.

Also, if the coaches said something this week, I didn't see it.  I'd be curious what they said.  Frost has said since he got here that he really wants guys here on a game day.  He claimed - though I bet his tune changes at least somewhat - that he doesn't want to bring a lot of guys in during the spring, instead wanting them to wait for a game.  So while he also may be down-playing it some, I don't think he would say it doesn't matter.

I thought I read something on Twitter about the coaches saying something to the effect but I could be mistaken.  I read a lot of Twitter.  It all gets mashed in sometimes.

But like I said in another post.  It hasn't really mattered either way over the last 15 years whether we had them for games or the spring or in January.  Our recruiting rankings have been pretty much the same.  I just don't see that it matters much.

I get that ideally you want a player to be there for game day so that they can see what playing would be like.  There is a lot to that.  But ultimately the strength of this staff recruiting is their honesty and how they can relate to the kid and parents.  Not the tunnel walk.  

5 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I thought I read something on Twitter about the coaches saying something to the effect but I could be mistaken.  I read a lot of Twitter.  It all gets mashed in sometimes.

But like I said in another post.  It hasn't really mattered either way over the last 15 years whether we had them for games or the spring or in January.  Our recruiting rankings have been pretty much the same.  I just don't see that it matters much.

I get that ideally you want a player to be there for game day so that they can see what playing would be like.  There is a lot to that.  But ultimately the strength of this staff recruiting is their honesty and how they can relate to the kid and parents.  Not the tunnel walk.  

SF and staff had said many times that their chance go up if they get them here for game day.