Veepstakes

IMO his best bet is to have a female VP not named Palin.

He should smooth things over wt the NM governor and select her. My guess is that many don't want their future political career ruined by being tied to Trump.

The bolded is the truth.

Many Rs are doing mental gymnastics to "support" him. But very few want to be tied at the hip to him. Christie already has gone all in on Trump, so he may be the last one standing when it comes time to make the call.

IMO his best bet is to have a female VP not named Palin.

He should smooth things over wt the NM governor and select her. My guess is that many don't want their future political career ruined by being tied to Trump.

The bolded is the truth.

Many Rs are doing mental gymnastics to "support" him. But very few want to be tied at the hip to him. Christie already has gone all in on Trump, so he may be the last one standing when it comes time to make the call.

True and Gingrich's political career is basically over so it's not like it would ruin anything for him in the future.

It's pretty interesting when you have a Presidential nominee to a major party that people are running fast away from.

It's an interesting time to be alive.

It looks like Trump is also meeting with Mike Pence from Indiana. If its between these 3, I would take Pence as he is not as old as Gingrich and not as brash as Christie.

But, if Trump really wants to win, he needs to go all out to get Kasich as his VP. Kasich is liked by many swing voters, would help deliver Ohio, and may also help deliver Pennsylvania for Trump.

It looks like Trump is also meeting with Mike Pence from Indiana. If its between these 3, I would take Pence as he is not as old as Gingrich and not as brash as Christie.

But, if Trump really wants to win, he needs to go all out to get Kasich as his VP. Kasich is liked by many swing voters, would help deliver Ohio, and may also help deliver Pennsylvania for Trump.

IIRC Kasich broke "the pledge" and hasn't endorsed Trump.

IIRC Kasich broke "the pledge" and hasn't endorsed Trump.

Yeah, I'm not saying Kasich will get on board, but if I am Trump I would be doing everything in my power to get him to join. Maybe Trump already has, but he doesn't strike me as the type that will beg or make too strong of a push to convince Kasich to join.

Kasich would lend some creditability to the ticket as would Pence - who I think would have been a good Presidential candidate. If Trump picks Newt or Chrispy Cream, it will be because Trump thinks by the strength of his personality he could pull off the win as Newt and Christy don't add much to the ticket and both give more ammo to the Dems to use against the ticket. While there are a lot of things I like about Newt, he has a lot of baggage as well. Christy - not a whole lot of positives at this time - he probably doesn't help Trump win NJ. Kasich would help win Ohio and Pence would secure Indiana - 2 important states that can go either way.

Kasich would lend some creditability to the ticket as would Pence - who I think would have been a good Presidential candidate. If Trump picks Newt or Chrispy Cream, it will be because Trump thinks by the strength of his personality he could pull off the win as Newt and Christy don't add much to the ticket and both give more ammo to the Dems to use against the ticket. While there are a lot of things I like about Newt, he has a lot of baggage as well. Christy - not a whole lot of positives at this time - he probably doesn't help Trump win NJ. Kasich would help win Ohio and Pence would secure Indiana - 2 important states that can go either way.

If it's not Rubio or Kasich, which it won't be, I think Pence is the next best choice. He's smart, likeable, understated, and has experience both as the #3 Republican in Congress as well as the Governor of a rust-belt state, and most importantly, he fits the criteria of being able to lead day one should anything happen to Trump. I really think that with both Trump and Hillary being up there in age, they must both pick someone that is not a novice or too youthful, but also someone that is not frankly as old as them either (which rules out Newt for me).

It will be Newt or Christy. And, the only reason for that is that nobody else is going to touch this with a ten foot pole.

These are the only two who basically have nothing to lose to jump in and still have a big name beside Trumps.

Well if Trump is as smart as he claims to be, he will realize that Newt and Christie would offer the least for him politically. Newt is extremely intelligent and has great political instincts, but is 73. If he were only 60, I think Newt would be a fine choice, but having two candidates over 70 is not a good idea.

As for Christie, those Republicans who don't like Trump may dislike Christie even more. Christie would not do anything to unite the party, nor would he do much to help in key swing states. Plus, he's two bombastic like Trump, and I think Trump needs someone more reserved and thoughtful.

As for the other players, Sessions is from Alabama and the South and Trump doesn't need that politically. Plus, pardon my language, but just seems like a weenie...lol. Ernst is appealing and offers the female card, but she's too new to the political scene and I would fear another Palin effect. Corker would be an ok pick. Scott Walker would be a great pick but not sure he's interested. Carly Fiorina would be a great pick too but we all know how they feel about each other. and I've already stated that Rubio and Kasich would be good picks but they aren't interested. So with all of that, I really do see Pence as the guy checking the most boxes at this point.

It will be Newt or Christy. And, the only reason for that is that nobody else is going to touch this with a ten foot pole.

These are the only two who basically have nothing to lose to jump in and still have a big name beside Trumps.

Well if Trump is as smart as he claims to be, he will realize that Newt and Christie would offer the least for him politically. Newt is extremely intelligent and has great political instincts, but is 73. If he were only 60, I think Newt would be a fine choice, but having two candidates over 70 is not a good idea.

As for Christie, those Republicans who don't like Trump may dislike Christie even more. Christie would not do anything to unite the party, nor would he do much to help in key swing states. Plus, he's two bombastic like Trump, and I think Trump needs someone more reserved and thoughtful.

As for the other players, Sessions is from Alabama and the South and Trump doesn't need that politically. Plus, pardon my language, but just seems like a weenie...lol. Ernst is appealing and offers the female card, but she's too new to the political scene and I would fear another Palin effect. Corker would be an ok pick. Scott Walker would be a great pick but not sure he's interested. Carly Fiorina would be a great pick too but we all know how they feel about each other. and I've already stated that Rubio and Kasich would be good picks but they aren't interested. So with all of that, I really do see Pence as the guy checking the most boxes at this point.

I would have to agree wt this. Pence would seem to be the best pick. Congressional and governor experience, sound on budget issues, and not a blow hard. Ernst would be another Palin. Not ready for prime time.

In a year with such a 'deep bench', the top of the ticket is the problem. If Cruz, Kasich, Rubio or another was at the top of the ticket, the VP spot would have been easy to fill. A lot of quality candidates would be willing and able (not clash wt Trump also) to serve as VP and strengthen the ticket.