OWH: Sellout Streak Perspective

I don't know where the balance would between reducing them enough to get enough more interest and not losing TOO much revenue. 10% wouldn't draw a lot more interest I don't think.

I wonder what the difference is between what we're getting from the B1G now and what we will get next year when the new TV deal kicks in and we get a full share. Seems like it you could do most of that as a goodwill gesture and basically be revenue neutral.

All true.

I wonder if they would be ok with "revenue neutral" though. I'm not sure where expenses stand now; during the past year or so, there's been a massive expansion in recruiting spending, for example.

So, if profitability is a major concern (and I'm not sure it should be), then they can't necessarily afford a cut.

I don't know where the balance would between reducing them enough to get enough more interest and not losing TOO much revenue. 10% wouldn't draw a lot more interest I don't think.

I wonder what the difference is between what we're getting from the B1G now and what we will get next year when the new TV deal kicks in and we get a full share. Seems like it you could do most of that as a goodwill gesture and basically be revenue neutral.

All true.

I wonder if they would be ok with "revenue neutral" though. I'm not sure where expenses stand now; during the past year or so, there's been a massive expansion in recruiting spending, for example.

So, if profitability is a major concern (and I'm not sure it should be), then they can't necessarily afford a cut.

I'm sure they wouldn't give all of it up - might not give any of it up.

But the "massive expansion in recruiting spending" is pretty relative. It has doubled over the last four years, but that amounts to a $500k increase - and that's assuming there weren't any changes in the bookkeeping which makes recruiting numbers hard to compare. But even at $500k, that's a fairly small percentage of $20M.

They've done a lot of facilities work over the last several years and most of that seems to be in pretty good shape for now. Not sure if there are any other big projects on the horizon. With a big increase in revenue on the horizon, if they don't do it now - which is actually next year as basically all the donations are already in for this year - they would probably never do it.

Good point on the recruiting. Massive in total dollars was an overstatement (100% increase is massive in it's own way, but not in relative terms). I mentioned it as an example, but probably should have just asked what the % increase in overall AD budget has been since last tv deal.

I agree with your overall points about timing.

How much football revenue goes back to other programs in the AD? More importantly, what goes to the university's education mission?

At some level, I doubt they even consider whether they can afford to charge less. Their pricing is purely based on a consumer's willingness to pay, and I don't know that we've seen enough reduction in that willingness to spur a price cut.

Wow...that is sad. By then there is a chance that MSU is sort of an average type of team (I don't see them being 10 plus wins each year)

The Big Ten just has some really lame teams that don't move the needle at all.

Rutgers

Purdue

Illini

Indiana

Northwestern (for the most part)

Minnesota

Wow...that is sad. By then there is a chance that MSU is sort of an average type of team (I don't see them being 10 plus wins each year)

The Big Ten just has some really lame teams that don't move the needle at all.

Rutgers

Purdue

Illini

Indiana

Northwestern (for the most part)

Minnesota

Same sad sack teams were in the Big 12 as well, we were just used to playing them. Kansas, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor. Now OSU and Baylor have elevated a bit from the 90s and 00s, but when we played them most years they stunk.

Same sad sack teams were in the Big 12 as well, we were just used to playing them. Kansas, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor. Now OSU and Baylor have elevated a bit from the 90s and 00s, but when we played them most years they stunk.

Yep. For the vast majority of the Big 8, six teams were basically afterthoughts in the conference:

Iowa State

Missouri

Kansas

Kansas State

Colorado

Oklahoma State

When the Big XII was formed, there were three teams that piqued interest:

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Texas

We added mediocre to crap teams:

Baylor

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

Occasionally a Colorado or a Texas A&M would be good for a year or two, but mostly their "good" coincided with Nebraska's "bad," meaning if we played to the standards we'd set the previous 40 years, the win/loss records would have been about the same.

When the Power 5 conferences break away from the G5, half of those schools could be left behind: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech. Colorado, despite being in the Pac-12, could be on the chopping block, too. Anyone missing those teams is delusional.

Wisconsin also has about twice as many students as Nebraska.

And sells about twice as many student tickets.

I'd like to do a comparison of student section #seats, #attendance, and #students(maybe just undergrads?), but I don't know where to look for student attendance data. Any ideas?

I'd like to do a comparison of student section #seats, #attendance, and #students(maybe just undergrads?), but I don't know where to look for student attendance data. Any ideas?

That might be hard to find

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll just do #seats/ #students. (for as many teams as I can put together)

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll just do #seats/ #students. (for as many teams as I can put together)

I would be interested in prices for student tickets at each of the big ten schools. I would not be shocked if it was free admission for students at a few of them...or very close to free

When I saw the 2018 home schedule I thought "well, at least that's 7 wins" until I saw the rest of the schedule:

@ Michigan

@Wisconsin

@Northwestern

@Ohio State

@Iowa

Not exactly a cake walk. Hopefully the Huskers will be a more complete product by then, and consistently winning the West.

Top of Steele's reviews, sheet 2 has the undergraduate numbers.

N is #13 in student attendance in the Big Ten, #71 in the country

Under the schedule is the stadium capacity (N is #14 in country)

Using other sources (Steele has published only #40 to #21) has Ohio State at #4 in attendance and #3 in stadium capacity.

• Fire 1