South Stadium

Below is what I posted last year. I talked to my guy a few weeks ago and he made it sound like it was delayed "for now" because of the current problems filling the stadium and getting new buyers for suites...

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of suites with seating in front of them

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

I did a quick google search, and picture something similar to this endzone:

800px-Kyle_Field_Montana_State_vs_A%26M_

• Fire 1

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

I've been saying for years that this is the problem. The the related issue of there's no way to get it done between December 1 and August 15th the following year so you'd not only be moving people but you'd be telling thousands of season ticket holders that they'll have to skip a year.

They've also put a decent amount of money into redeveloping the South Stadium offices so they'd have to do that as well.

And now that they can barely sell the seats that we have, I can't imagine that there's any serious thought being put into another expansion.

I've been saying for years that this is the problem. The related issue of there's no way to get it done between December 1 and August 15th the following year so you'd not only be moving people but you'd be telling thousands of season ticket holders that they'll have to skip a year.

They've also put a decent amount of money into redeveloping the South Stadium offices so they'd have to do that as well.

And now that they can barely sell the seats that we have, I can't imagine that there's any serious thought being put into another expansion.

About the bolded, I brought this up to him that all other expansions were over 2 years. He said that they could work around it and would be able to get the majority done in 1 offseason, so no people would be displaced. I find that hard to believe, but I'm not an architect or construction guy.

I've been saying for years that this is the problem. The the related issue of there's no way to get it done between December 1 and August 15th the following year so you'd not only be moving people but you'd be telling thousands of season ticket holders that they'll have to skip a year.

As far as your last sentence, the 'expansion' that would actually lower capacity would make sense.

As far as the timeline of doing something like this, what did they do for the North stadium expansion in '05?

As far as your last sentence, the 'expansion' that would actually lower capacity would make sense.

As far as the timeline of doing something like this, what did they do for the North stadium expansion in '05?

I don't think spending millions of dollars to reduce revenue is probably in the cards.

They added on up behind the existing seats in North Stadium so they could do most of the building behind the existing seating then join them together in the off-season. Same thing in East Stadium.

I've been saying for years that this is the problem. The related issue of there's no way to get it done between December 1 and August 15th the following year so you'd not only be moving people but you'd be telling thousands of season ticket holders that they'll have to skip a year.

About the bolded, I brought this up to him that all other expansions were over 2 years. He said that they could work around it and would be able to get the majority done in 1 offseason, so no people would be displaced. I find that hard to believe, but I'm not an architect or construction guy.

Eh, I don't buy that. How exactly would you go about working around it? There is no way to work around it unless you leave the existing seating in place and build up behind it like the other expansions did.

And what is "the majority" of it. Seems like it would either be done or not. Or, at least, you'd have to have at least the same number of seats back in that you took out and continue building above later but I don't see that working.

I don't think you could do anything meaningful without completely tearing out the entire South Stadium and starting over. I mean, theoretically you could tear out the back half but that's the majority of the seating and the work. And that doesn't help any of the logistical short-comings (concessions, rest rooms, etc) for whatever seats you leave in place.

For the long....long, long viability of the stadium and having premium options, i think this new suite option w seats above it makes sense.

More seats for more butts doesn't make sense, but more boxes and better student section do make sense. What may seem like "forever" in construction that may displace current seats, 3-5 yrs after completion it'll be a fart in the wind. I say, build it.

For the long....long, long viability of the stadium and having premium options, i think this new suite option w seats above it makes sense.

More seats for more butts doesn't make sense, but more boxes and better student section do make sense. What may seem like "forever" in construction that may displace current seats, 3-5 yrs after completion it'll be a fart in the wind. I say, build it.

The best thing that could be added to the south stadium is a replay board for the fans in the north end zone that is comparable to the one located in the north stadium. I used to have season tickets in the 94th row of the north end zone and the lack of a large enough replay board was irritating.

The best thing that could be added to the south stadium is a replay board for the fans in the north end zone that is comparable to the one located in the north stadium. I used to have season tickets in the 94th row of the north end zone and the lack of a large enough replay board was irritating.

If you have a smart phone you can watch replays of every play from multiple camera angles DVR style. Very cool stuff.

Also, I think that if the student section was moved to the bottom of the south stadium, it could be expanded to 10,000 seats and be more frequently packed than it currently is. At present our students get absolutely shafted with seating; it's embarrassing.

Hey guys, I was curious if any of you think that the University will ever expand/ renovate the south stadium? If the south stadium were to be renovated what would you like to see added on??

Not renovate but destroyed completely. North too. My design.

fantasy1.png

closer to the action, big time. And trapped the noise.

Or else .......

SOUTHPROJECT_zpsed3bf8ec.jpg

The first deck partially demolished (upper 1/3rd) and build a new second deck. Oh yeah (wishful thinking)

And ........ changedlocation_zpsc91448fb.png

Why? I love tradition pillars inscribed ... "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." Right now, hidden.

Hey guys, I was curious if any of you think that the University will ever expand/ renovate the south stadium? If the south stadium were to be renovated what would you like to see added on??

Not renovate but destroyed completely. North too. My design.

fantasy1.png

closer to the action, big time. And trapped the noise.

Or else .......

SOUTHPROJECT_zpsed3bf8ec.jpg

The first deck partially demolished (upper 1/3rd) and build a new second deck. Oh yeah (wishful thinking)

And ........ changedlocation_zpsc91448fb.png

Why? I love tradition pillars inscribed ... "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." Right now, hidden.

That is pretty cool, how did you design that??

That is pretty cool, how did you design that??

My idea, again wishful thinking. Pretty quick to modify above original pictures aided by paint.net .... poor man Adobe PhotoShop.

Anyway, both north and south columns are a tinker toy construction thus very easy to demolished ... basically deluxe bleachers.

Horseshoe stadium pillars (tOSU) is similar to our pillars. Last major renovation pre-planning project including potential mini-video screens on top of OSU pillars but immediately shelved because hundreds of complaint fans (or OSU AD or regents ??).

TEAR DOWN VIDEO SCREENS (4 of them) or changed locations.

Not shown for my original post ........

WISHFUL_zpsfg7yi8ry.jpg

Below is what I posted last year. I talked to my guy a few weeks ago and he made it sound like it was delayed "for now" because of the current problems filling the stadium and getting new buyers for suites...

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of suites with seating in front of them

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

I did a quick google search, and picture something similar to this endzone:

800px-Kyle_Field_Montana_State_vs_A%26M_

I've never heard this being talked about. I've heard possible student athlete additions in south stadium (more training rooms, showers, hang out areas) but I've never heard anything this expansive