LB Eriq Gilyard [Central Florida - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

24 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Gilyard commit?

• Nebraska
    • Virginia Tech
    • Duke
    • Michigan
    • Central Florida
    • Maryland
    • North Carolina State

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Don't know if I believe that or not. Scott has been very upfront with how difficult a decision it was throughout the process. I can't imagine him telling a recruit any differently then what he told the public.

do you believe it now

Could have just misinterpreted what Frost was telling him

Edited by famoustitles
  • Plus1 1

Think you’re edit is what probably happened.  Scott could’ve told him he’s still deciding and hasn’t made his mind up or that he’s leaning one way.

Just can’t see him lying like that, especially given the fact that he’s fiercely loyal to his team.

Lots of UCF people are interpreting the Philly comments as saying Frost had decided then. But he hadn't. I'm guessing that's where this accusation comes from - a misunderstanding. They're accusing Frost of knowing he was leaving and saying differenly, but he didn't know yet.

But frankly I don't care. 

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 4

I think Frost knew right around the time of the meeting in Philly, so I can sympathize with the kid on that front. But at the same time, whether Frost knew or not, it was his responsibility to work in UCF's best interest, not NU's. It was a catch-22 moment for Frost. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

It might have just been a slip of the mind on Frosts part too by phrasing it that way - unintentionally painting himself into a box. I talk to a lot of different clients/customers at work, and when I'm tired and client asks me a point blank question (that answering sometimes violate other clients' rights), sometime its tough to phrase an answer that isn't construed in the wrong way - especially when one is naturally honest and candid with people like Frost seems to be.... I can imagine Frost having some troubles with that aspect of everything. I doubt he meant or wanted to lie to recruits, but he couldn't just spill the beans to a 17 Y/O kid only for it to blow up on Twitter.

These parents need to do a better job of explaining that part of life, because everyone, even Eriq, is put in a similar situation catch-22 moment at some point in life.

Edited by Oade
  • Plus1 1

It seems to me that the most likely explanation is a mis-interpretation of what was said.  I would guess Frost probably said something like he kept saying to the media - "I'm focused on this team and winning a championship at Central Florida" - and that was taken to mean he was staying for the long-term when it was only meant to convey that he was staying for the season.  

Or - if it was said earlier in the year - Frost really hadn't had a lot of discussions with Nebraska yet so he had no intention of leaving at that time but things have changed.

• Plus1 2

I wouldn't want to comment on what he believes he was told.  If he says it happened, he has no reason to lie.  It doesn't benefit anyone.

But I find it difficult to believe that Frost would tell only this player this lie and not any others.  So until I see or hear of other players that were committed to UCF saying the same things, I will chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

• Plus1 5
  • Mavric changed the title to LB Eriq Gilyard [Central Florida - Signed LOI]