Gun Control

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm an avid gun owner also.  I don't understand the thought process of the last sentence.

Are collecting, shooting or building guns a serious hobby of yours?   How about hunting every chance you get?  That is the type of person he is and why I made the comment I did.

10 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Are collecting, shooting or building guns a serious hobby of yours?   How about hunting every chance you get?  That is the type of person he is and why I made the comment I did.

I own a number of guns that I have purchased for various uses that my son and I partake in.  Some of my best memories and experiences have been with my son shooting both long range target shooting and skeet.  We hunt pretty much any chance we get.

What I don't understand is the thought process that because I like to own guns, shoot guns and use guns to hunt every chance I get, why should I oppose measures that helps prevent people who shouldn't have those guns from getting them.  Personally, I think those measures strengthens the 2nd amendment by helping to make gun ownership safer for the public.

• Plus1 6

mt brother is a big gun collector...over 500 different guns.  he thinks that assault rifles and bump stocks should have never been made legal.   but.....now that they are out there he says if any gun laws are enacted against them then soon the "democrats" will take all his guns away.    the NRA sure has sold that idea and brainwashed everyone into believing it.   

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, commando said:

i saw this more than a week ago...but didn't trust the sources.   now it's hit a bigger source so will post it

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/he-disarmed-possible-church-shooter-then-police-arrived-shot-him-n851816?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

and this seems to conveniant.  not sure if true or not but

It has definitely entered my head that teachers can commit mass murder as well. Or, there might simply be a situation where you have a teacher who has a really bad temper, and under normal conditions he/she might yell at a student. Well, now if the wrong people get their way, he/she will have a gun while he's angry. Teachers are human, and there are some bad ones.

Edited by Moiraine

What does that cover? 

I'm OK with advocacy groups using money for political causes. This doesn't mean everything advocated is good. Some things are, some things are not. But consider literally anything and you will find some organized lobbying group.

And the other problem I think is power imbalance. 

13 minutes ago, zoogs said:

What does that cover? 

I'm OK with advocacy groups using money for political causes. This doesn't mean everything advocated is good. Some things are, some things are not. But consider literally anything and you will find some organized lobbying group.

And the other problem I think is power imbalance. 

At the least I want it to go back to pre Citizens United.

1 minute ago, commando said:

should have said...assault style weapons.   people pick those up and some want to play rambo

Yeah, that's not really a thing.  And you've said Rambo like a thousand times and it's not even an accurate stereotype.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Assault rifles are not legal

Are we really trying to split hairs between "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" here? Like the amendment to ban assault weapons that was voted out of a FL state legislature bill to ban bump stocks?

Like the assault rifles that Dick's just announced they would stop selling, which is good, because they are illegal? Sorry -- assault-style, which is also good, because those are imaginary?

Like the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (are "semiautomatic assault weapons" real enough for you?) which expired in 2004, has never been renewed, and efforts to pass a new one similar in kind were defeated by Republicans in 2012 and 2013? 

If you're going to argue that this distinction is meaningful -- and sure, maybe it is --  then you cannot simultaneously assert that "assault weapon" is not a real thing. People are not confused that AK-74s or M-16s or other full-auto rifles and machine guns can be purchased. In fact there seems to be good, general literacy that we are talking about semiauto weapons like the AR-15.