Gun Control

16 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

This should read "ALL" groups, not just groups "like" the NRA.  No group should be able to influence our politicians just because they have a bunch of money they "donate" to said politicians.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes I agree. I worded it badly but that's what I meant when I said no group should be able to and "both just don't like it when it's someone they don't like."

Which is why it will never get fixed.

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes I agree. I worded it badly but that's what I meant when I said no group should be able to and "both just don't like it when it's someone they don't like."

I struggle with this one. I'm in PT school. We have our own PT-PAC that advocates EOs for things that are good for our profession. One of our major goals was recently accomplished when Congress lifted the Medicare spending cap on PT. Both subjectively & objectively, I feel this is good after seeing cases where Medicare patients discontinued needed therapy simply because they hit their cap & couldn't afford to keep going until it rolled over to a new year.

I tend to think this a problem of scale. Some lobbyist groups have WAY more resources than others & thus they have disproportionate power to everyone else. Sometimes the little guy actually has very good things to lobby for.

But I certainly understand & am also sympathetic to the argument that we'd be better off without any lobbying at all.

• Plus1 2

Not a thing: assault baseball bats

Actually a thing: assault weapons, which are guns

Stop trying to obfuscate the conversation, Redux. It’s intentionally misleading, and very plainly in bad faith.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1

I don't have any illusions about removing guns from American households, or keeping assault weapons out of the hands of anyone who really wants one. It's not gonna happen. I think the young voices of protest are hugely important, and even the mildest gun control laws have a symbolic value, but I still think this goes deeper into the culture than any debate over regulation. 

It's time to dig into the fantasy and fetish. This has nothing to do with hunting for your food, and only a little to do with protecting your family and property. This is about a comic book world of heroes and villains and wannabe badasses. Here are four of the literally dozens of glossy, high-end weapon and ammo publications out there. On the rack at Walgreens, where they often outnumber sports, travel, pop culture, health & lifestyle publications 4 to 1. Page through them. Read the articles and ads. There's a two page spread for an assault rifle silencer, showing two men hunting another man in an open field at night. The headline? "The only sound you'll hear is the body hitting the ground." 

What do people who collect and defend these personal arsenals think is about to happen? What is the scenario where their investment comes into play --- and do they want it to happen? Because there's really something orgasmic about the language and imagery used to sell guns in this country. And that's the fantasy. The reality is that the people who use them are the opposite of cool badasses: they're the saddest, weakest people acting out the final chapter in their doomed little life. And the good guys with guns can't do a damn thing about it. 

And should they try? Most will find they're not the fearless redeemers of their fantasy. When the bullets start flying, they will s#!t their pants.

recoil.jpg

trigger.jpg

XMRBig.jpg

VKBig.jpg

Edited by Guy Chamberlin
  • Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Stop trying to obfuscate the conversation. It’s intentionally misleading, and very plainly in bad faith.

No, it's the other side of the argument.  I know the unknown can be scary.

"Assault Style" guns is a made up thing to specifically target guns that look more like military grade weapons than they do brown wooden hunting rifles, even though they are mechanically and functionally the same exact types of guns.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1

Yours is a made up side of the argument. Please stop trying to say assault baseball bats is a conversation we are or should be having. “The other side” has an extant legal framework — the 1994 federal assault weapons ban, the revival in 2012 and 2013, etc.

Please understand that I am not impressed with your extremely basic expertise of guns, nor your perception that you’re here to bless the rest of us with your knowledge. What you are advocating for — we know what it is, we know they’re not M16s, and we disagree.

I don’t think “An AR-15 style assault rifle is mechanically and functionally identical to a wooden hunting rifle” sounds like an honest statement. Apart from its lack of selective fire, it seems like the whole point is to be mechanically and functionally similar to, well, a military assault rifle.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I don’t think “An AR-15 style assault rifle is mechanically and functionally identical to a wooden hunting rifle” sounds like an honest statement. Apart from its lack of selective fire, it seems like the whole point is to be mechanically and functionally similar to, well, a military assault rifle.

I'll ignore the rest of your post, it was unnecessarily hurtful.

This part, you're just wrong.  And nothing I say will change your mind about that because you don't want to changer your mind.  Cheerio!  I'll just leave this right here...

Edited by Redux

Spare me the hurt feelings. You come into every policy debate bagging on people who care and claiming your disinterest is better. Of all the things there are to care about, the one thing you do is making sure the assault weapons ban never resurfaces? Hell of a list of priorities, dude.

So, I’d ask you this. Why are they not just all hunting rifles, then? Could it be they /want/ to have the same form factor as the rifles used by soldiers? Why do they not have limited or internal magazines as hunting rifles at least historically seem to typically have? Could it be because they are — mechanically and functionally — designed for speed, the ability to lay down fire quickly and change magazines quickly, so as to, functionally, render you a more effective combatant? What’s the problem with making this type of thing illegal (again)? Why is it so gd precious?

This is a pretty informative video on what an AR-15 can do and what the Bump Stock does once installed.

The Bump Stock is what turns a normal semi auto into nearly a fully automatic true assault grade/military grade weapon.  It is legal, and clearly easy to purchase.  This should not be the case.  I'm all for making them illegal to own and purchase.  But the thing that gets ignored because the gun in these videos looks like a military weapon and not like the hunting rifle on your Dad's gun rack, is that even without the modifications the AR-15 (and almost all hunting rifles that function the same way) still fire pretty damn quickly as this video shows.  So let's just be honest for a moment.  We discuss banning the bump stock, fine most would agree that is a noble cause.  That wouldn't be enough though, next it will be banning rifles of this functionality from cosmetically looking like a military grade weapon.  And I'll be honest, I know full well that the original allure of the AR-15 was that it looked the part.  So fine, we've banned bump stocks, banned certain cosmetics, and maybe that solves some problems.  But we will still have normal looking hunting rifles, modification techniques (legal or not) that will be available to most anyone.  As this guy in the video does, he goes and purchases the gun quickly and easily and even passes the background check that many want to make harder (fair enough, I would even go further and reintroduce the waiting period).

I'm not going to pretend that guns are some kind of necessary right.  But I also want to drop the charade that is pretending certain guns or certain mods are the main culprit.  The illegal firearms will stay illegal and maybe some more will become illegal.  The problem is hate and the problem is availability.  Banning all guns and taking them away from honest citizens won't work, and even if it did...hate will still exist.  Hate will still find ways to obtain these weapons or other kinds.  Banning the AR won't do much long term except some kind of moral victory for those wanting guns to disappear.

Edited by Redux

12 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Spare me the hurt feelings. You come into every policy debate bagging on people who care and claiming your disinterest is better. Of all the things there are to care about, the one thing you do is making sure the assault weapons ban never resurfaces? Hell of a list of priorities, dude.

My disinterest stems from interacting with people like yourself who refuse to look at things from more perspective than your own.  Because I would prefer to prevent the headache that is not agreeing with you, I'm an idiot?  I never said anything about keeping the assault weapon ban from resurfacing, your confrontational attitude is getting the better of you.

Edited by Redux

Good morning Huskers. I was invited here by one of your members. While I love the Huskers, I am following my self imposed ban of football due to the NFL, racist, race monger, cop killing gerbils. Most, if not all, of my posts will be down here in the bloody trenches.

It is at this point where you mods should ban me because my first post threatens and frightens you. If not, if you're a brave warrior for the truth like many here, then  it's at this point I invite the leftist Cop Killing Gerbils to immediately rush to calling me a Russian Troll, as is the common reflex of the Russian Communist Pinko Red Sheep since president Winning was elected.

If I get banned for speaking the truth, you can see me with this user name , my 100 followers and my avatar (which I might need to re-upload) at The Hill and other sites carrying the Disqus plug-in. Ready? Here we go-

Hey, Libs where you going with those assault rifles in your hands?

Edited by The Finger
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

Stop trying to obfuscate the conversation, Redux. It’s intentionally misleading, and very plainly in bad faith.

"Assault weapons" is also misleading.  What constitutes as a weapon and when does it become an "assault weapon"? 

• Plus1 1