Gun Control

10 minutes ago, commando said:

there is a grey area.  the guy didn't appear to  threaten to hurt anyone...it looks like he was just trying to get away.    without the threat of harm the shooter might have crossed the line.  i believe that at least here in nebraska there has to be a threat before you can shoot someone in self defense.   now maybe the shooter can claim he thought he was threatened.  i am not sure.   But it seems that the death penalty with no jury for what was likely petty theft is...a bit harsh.

Ya, he didn't deserve to get shot unless he went for it, but the guy with the gun also knew he had an axe on him so if he was agitated at all it could have made him nervous about it.

Tea Party Group Leaks Call Lists, Guides for Staging Pro-Gun 'Student-Led' High School Protests

Although attendance at the May 2 anti-gun control rallies was ultimately dwarfed by surrounding events urging tighter gun control, from a logistical standpoint, the Tea Party Patriots’s plan to stage a national “student-led” protest was a major success: A majority of news outlets that reported on the walkouts—including Huffpo, Vox, USA Today, and the Los Angeles Times, among others—failed to mention the involvement of a group of veteran political operators, which was already then public information.

Aside from CNN and handful of local reports, the media solely attributed the planning of the pro-gun protests to a New Mexico high school senior: Will Riley, the author of a newspaper op-ed titled, Parkland Students Don’t Speak for Me or My Generation.

The “Stand for the Second” school walkouts were staged specifically as a response to the “March for Our Lives” demonstrations attended on March 24 by more than a million protesters nationwide. Save for the National Review, top conservative outlets mostly credited Riley alone with planning and carrying out the event. The Daily Caller, for example, did not identify the Tea Party Patriots as organizers in its May 2nd coverage, even though the group’s chairman, Jenny Beth Martin, had already penned an op-ed for the website taking credit. The Tea Party outfit, Martin wrote, was “naturally drawn to the effort of helping these students fine-tune their event-organizing skills, and also develop a deeper understanding of why the Second Amendment was so important to our nation’s founders…”

A batch of leaked PDFs reviewed by Gizmodo, however, reveal the Tea Party Patriots went beyond a “fine-tune,” steering the students’ messaging from start to finish. Several times the group directed the would-be protesters to simply parrot pre-written talking points, many drafted by “our friends” at The Heritage Foundation, the Twitter account of which students were also advised to follow. Students were also directed towards YouTube channels of right-wing think tank and non-university Prager U, as well as Arthur voice actor-turned-milquetoast pundit-turned-meme Stephen Crowder. Many of the photos of the event online show students holding signs with simplistic slogans pre-written by the Tea Party group, such as, “Gun control only stops good guys from getting guns,” and “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”—a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin that was written to argue the finer points of a tax dispute.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2018/07/guns_or_marijuana_the_choice_t.html

With the recent victories for medical cannabis in Missouri and Utah, discussion about this issue has cranked up. Medical cannabis patients are banned from purchasing guns by the Federal Government. I find this policy to be quite interesting considering our other decisions concerning gun control. Why not medical cannabis patients? Thoughts?

18 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

https://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2018/07/guns_or_marijuana_the_choice_t.html

With the recent victories for medical cannabis in Missouri and Utah, discussion about this issue has cranked up. Medical cannabis patients are banned from purchasing guns by the Federal Government. I find this policy to be quite interesting considering our other decisions concerning gun control. Why not medical cannabis patients? Thoughts?

I'm not saying this is the reason but here is something from an author I read.  He's been doing some investigative reporting regarding marijuana use and mental health.  He has a book about the subject set to release in January 2019.  Just thinking maybe the government knows something they don't want to admit because of the cash cow it's created.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not saying this is the reason but here is something from an author I read.  He's been doing some investigative reporting regarding marijuana use and mental health.  He has a book about the subject set to release in January 2019.  Just thinking maybe the government knows something they don't want to admit because of the cash cow it's created.

Another good example of why the CDC should be funded to allow gun-related health research. Unfortunately our Republican politicians are already bought by the gun lobby.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Wow, that's some interesting findings.

I'm curious if the suicide rates for folks who tested positive for THC were also experiencing bipolar or schizophrenic symptoms. I know the science isn't completely settled but some studies have shown marijuana to have a really negative impact on folks with Bipolar and Schizophrenia. 

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

Wow, that's some interesting findings.

I'm curious if the suicide rates for folks who tested positive for THC were also experiencing bipolar or schizophrenic symptoms. I know the science isn't completely settled but some studies have shown marijuana to have a really negative impact on folks with Bipolar and Schizophrenia. 

I'm going to get the book once it comes out but Alex Berenson has been tweeting a lot about the negative mental impact of marijuana for several months.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm going to get the book once it comes out but Alex Berenson has been tweeting a lot about the negative mental impact of marijuana for several months.

That'd be a fascinating read for sure. I've worked and studied in the mental health field for several years, and marijuana use seems to divide folks. None of the science is settled, but of what I've read and seen thus far is that it can be helpful for some things like depression, but very damaging for major mental health issues like Bipolar and Schizophrenia. 

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

That seems like a realistic reason. What I'm more concerned with is why this in particular? Seems like a decent enough regulation, but why not more common sense regulations? 

saw this today.  thought i would link it here.   George was ahead of me on recognizing what the NRA had transformed itself into.  i was never a lifetime member...but i did belong at one time and left when i recognized how radical the NRA was getting

DtW9p-9WwAEDP1e.jpg:large

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone tipped off the authorities and prevented a school shooting

RPD: Teen suspect took his own life after firing at officers

RICHMOND, Ind. — You can read about it happening in community after community across the country, but there's still a small part of you that refuses to believe a school shooting could happen in a small town like Richmond.

But after the events at Dennis Intermediate School on Thursday morning, reality no longer can be denied.

A teenager who police say intended to hurt others made his way to the building just as the school day was beginning, but a tip alerted the authorities in time to prevent a possible mass shooting.

Instead, police were able to corner the suspect in a stairwell where he took his own life after an exchange of gunfire, authorities said.

13 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

It's scary how numb we've become to this crap.

I live about 20 minutes from Richmond, Indiana and have barely heard any buzz about this shooting. A school shooting is not even newsworthy anymore unless the body count is high, I guess.