Gun Control

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Preventing Children from accessing firearms- This depends on the language. Accessing, as in purchasing? I'm all in. Accessing as in using? No. If you're around adults with firearms, that is the best training you'll ever get in regards to safety, throughout your childhood.

I haven't read the bill, but along these lines if you are a citizen who has children there should be an extra hoop of effort to determine your responsibility in purchasing a gun. As in, preventing children from accessing firearms that their parents own accidentally. Too many cases of toddlers or pre-teen children accidentally committing suicide or shooting someone because of a lapse or a freak accident on the part of their parents. 

If you have kids, demonstrating some type of mental and operational competency and abiding by a certain set of ownership paramaters (ie you can't buy a gun without also buying a safe for it or something? idk) is something I'd be on board with.

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Ban assault firearms- Nah. Again, I don't like the government telling me what I can, and cannot purchase. 99.9% of the people who own these types of weapons are responsible. And you never know (some will laugh at this) when you'll need something like that to protect yourself from a tyrannical government. I wouldn't want to rule anything out these days.

I agree with your assertion. But I also hold the assertion that 100% of the people who want to own these types of weapons don't have any good reason to. I can also be a responsible owner of cocaine and methamphetamines but that's not really an argument in favor of actually owning them. 

As far as protection against a tyrannical government...eh. If a government gets to that point no amount of citizen weaponry will really help. 

But anyways. RE: this last point - if not a ban on assault firearms, then at least a ban on modifications and loophole exploiting products that effectively power up non assault weapons, and at least a stricter purchasing and screening process on assault weapons? 

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

I haven't read the bill, but along these lines if you are a citizen who has children there should be an extra hoop of effort to determine your responsibility in purchasing a gun. As in, preventing children from accessing firearms that their parents own accidentally. Too many cases of toddlers or pre-teen children accidentally committing suicide or shooting someone because of a lapse or a freak accident on the part of their parents. 

If you have kids, demonstrating some type of mental and operational competency and abiding by a certain set of ownership paramaters (ie you can't buy a gun without also buying a safe for it or something? idk) is something I'd be on board with.

I agree with your assertion. But I also hold the assertion that 100% of the people who want to own these types of weapons don't have any good reason to. I can also be a responsible owner of cocaine and methamphetamines but that's not really an argument in favor of actually owning them. 

As far as protection against a tyrannical government...eh. If a government gets to that point no amount of citizen weaponry will really help. 

But anyways. RE: this last point - if not a ban on assault firearms, then at least a ban on modifications and loophole exploiting products that effectively power up non assault weapons, and at least a stricter purchasing and screening process on assault weapons? 

You can use a gun in a responsible way.....is it possible to use cocaine and meth in a responsible way?

Until we as a country decide from both sides of the argument what "Gun Control" means, we will continue to talk in circles.  

It's not a black and white issue as far as guns vs no guns.  There are so many aspects that could be addressed to make the country safer for all.  We just choose to focus on that one point.

13 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd rather have them, than not (apparently you're not aware of the varied uses of gunpowder:lol:).... I wouldn't have a problem registering the assault rifles.

I'm aware of gunpowder lol

The reference was something generally used with good intentions, that has also been used in mass terrorist attacks á la AR style weapons.

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with any of that. But what about the grandparents who own guns, and frequently have grandchildren around? 

I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of gun owners that are careless with the storage of their guns. I never keep more than one loaded in the house, and they are all locked up in a safe. It just isn't worth the risk. We have an alarm system, so if that's triggered, it would leave me ample time to get to the safe, and grab the loaded gun (despite what that moron, Jim Jefferies thinks).

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

As I said to ZRod, I'd rather have the weapons, than not, even in the highly unlikely case of a tyrannical government in the U.S.

To the bold, I'd be fine with all of that in regards to assault rifles.

I've always thought the possibility of biometrics as a form of increasing gun safety (i.e., it won't fire unless it detects the fingerprint of the owner) but I realize the impracticality and cost of such a move for the industry makes widespread use somewhat of a fairy tale. Nonetheless I hope the tech continues to come along and become more prevalent.

2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I've always thought the possibility of biometrics as a form of increasing gun safety (i.e., it won't fire unless it detects the fingerprint of the owner) but I realize the impracticality and cost of such a move for the industry makes widespread use somewhat of a fairy tale. Nonetheless I hope the tech continues to come along and become more prevalent.

That all sounds great in concept, but totally impractical in reality.

26 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

How about requiring biometrics on gun safes if you own specific weaponry?