Gun Control

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

The law itself seems pretty stupid, but it's a legitimate fear we're now entering a phase where any effort at legitimately reforming our gun laws in the name of public safety is going to become impossible.

That may be true.  But, when formulating gun laws, they have to be well thought out and actually good laws.  Bad laws should still be challenged.

• 3 weeks later...

If gun shaming were a thing, and I think it very well could be, then I'm experiencing it to a degree right now with my wife's family and not in the way one might immediately assume.

I'm largely indifferent on guns. I didn't grow up with them, didn't have them around the house, never went hunting and have never been in a situation where I felt I needed one. But, my family wasn't anti-gun or anything like that. We just didn't have them around. So, in my adulthood, I carry much the same opinion on them - if you have them, great. If you don't, great. Largely, I just want responsible laws surrounding them and I want gun owners to be incredibly responsible in how they protect/secure them.

My wife's family recently encouraged her to get her conceal carry and she did. They've casually tried to do the same to me but, after repeated displays of disinterest on my part, they backed off. But, I can sometimes feel a small tension in the air surrounding me when it gets brought up, almost like they want me to get it too but they don't want to come right out and say it. It's definitely one of those "it's not what's being said, but what's NOT being said" situations. They also tell my wife behind my back that I 'should really look into it' just because of the knowledge I'll gain, whether or not I want to physically conceal carry or not. There's probably some truth to that but, alas, we reach my general disinterest.

Has anybody else experienced this? I know gun owners take a lot of heat these days but it's been an odd experience to be on the other side of it as someone who doesn't really care about guns but is being subtly coerced into having one.

• Thanks 2

As with many other issues extreme views are the problem IMO.  I like to shoot guns and do some hunting, but i have no NEED for a gun in my everyday life. Do i think everyone should have a gun? Nope i think we should definitely limit who can have one , and what kind depending on the circumstances. Do i think we should outlaw guns altogether? Nope on that one either, its a fundamental right provided by the constitution within limits. I think sensible middle ground could be found to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them , but i don't have much faith people on extreme ends of this issue will come together and make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

As with many other issues extreme views are the problem IMO.  I like to shoot guns and do some hunting, but i have no NEED for a gun in my everyday life. Do i think everyone should have a gun? Nope i think we should definitely limit who can have one , and what kind depending on the circumstances. Do i think we should outlaw guns altogether? Nope on that one either, its a fundamental right provided by the constitution within limits. I think sensible middle ground could be found to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them , but i don't have much faith people on extreme ends of this issue will come together and make it happen. 

There will be no sensible middle ground as long as the NRA exists.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If gun shaming were a thing, and I think it very well could be, then I'm experiencing it to a degree right now with my wife's family and not in the way one might immediately assume.

I'm largely indifferent on guns. I didn't grow up with them, didn't have them around the house, never went hunting and have never been in a situation where I felt I needed one. But, my family wasn't anti-gun or anything like that. We just didn't have them around. So, in my adulthood, I carry much the same opinion on them - if you have them, great. If you don't, great. Largely, I just want responsible laws surrounding them and I want gun owners to be incredibly responsible in how they protect/secure them.

My wife's family recently encouraged her to get her conceal carry and she did. They've casually tried to do the same to me but, after repeated displays of disinterest on my part, they backed off. But, I can sometimes feel a small tension in the air surrounding me when it gets brought up, almost like they want me to get it too but they don't want to come right out and say it. It's definitely one of those "it's not what's being said, but what's NOT being said" situations. They also tell my wife behind my back that I 'should really look into it' just because of the knowledge I'll gain, whether or not I want to physically conceal carry or not. There's probably some truth to that but, alas, we reach my general disinterest.

Has anybody else experienced this? I know gun owners take a lot of heat these days but it's been an odd experience to be on the other side of it as someone who doesn't really care about guns but is being subtly coerced into having one.

Not with family, but with a certain friend.  

I'll preface this by saying, I'm a gun owner.  I've been around guns all my life and I enjoy using them in hunting and shooting sports.  I am a proponent of gun ownership....if a person wants to own a gun and is responsible.

We have friends who went together and got their conceal carry.  I really never have brought it up with them.  But, I've been around them enough that they tend to bring it up.  One time, my wife and I were talking to the wife.  She just could not figure out why we wouldn't get our conceal carry permit.  I just flat out looked at her and said, "I have absolutely no desire...nor do I ever feel unsafe to the point I wished I had a gun on me."  She just looked at me in amazement.  I could tell that since I said that, to her, I"m some how anti gun.  

I friggen live in small town Nebraska.  I don't even lock my car and most days, don't even lock my house.

Honestly, I'm less comfortable around this couple knowing they are so scared that they feel they need to carry guns.  I've been to social events where I can tell he has a gun under his shirt.  It's just awkward.  

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not with family, but with a certain friend.  

I'll preface this by saying, I'm a gun owner.  I've been around guns all my life and I enjoy using them in hunting and shooting sports.  I am a proponent of gun ownership....if a person wants to own a gun and is responsible.

We have friends who went together and got their conceal carry.  I really never have brought it up with them.  But, I've been around them enough that they tend to bring it up.  One time, my wife and I were talking to the wife.  She just could not figure out why we wouldn't get our conceal carry permit.  I just flat out looked at her and said, "I have absolutely no desire...nor do I ever feel unsafe to the point I wished I had a gun on me."  She just looked at me in amazement.  I could tell that since I said that, to her, I"m some how anti gun.  

I friggen live in small town Nebraska.  I don't even lock my car and most days, don't even lock my house.

Honestly, I'm less comfortable around this couple knowing they are so scared that they feel they need to carry guns.  I've been to social events where I can tell he has a gun under his shirt.  It's just awkward.  

Thanks for the sharing the story. That's really interesting.

My wife's brother is definitely one of those people that is amazed at the concept that someone may not want a gun on them at all times. This is also the kind of guy that has a full 24/7 security view of his house, an automated in-home security system with voice command lock doors and even ballistic windows. A couple of months ago, some random stranger parked in his driveway for five minutes and it caused him to arm/lock his house and sit at his window with his gun drawn the whole time. He shared the story countless times in the following weeks, including several minutes of the video, to anyone who would listen.

Every time he told the story all I could think was "dude... some random person probably was Google mapping something in your driveway and here you are preparing for a home invasion." It's just a sort of doomsday mentality that I don't understand, but it's similar in many ways to how your friend's wife feels, I think.

It's hypocritical behavior no matter what side of the fence one is on. My brother-in-law would be liable to physically fight anyone who told him he doesn't need a gun, but telling other people they need guns is acceptable.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My wife's brother is definitely one of those people that is amazed at the concept that someone may not want a gun on them at all times. This is also the kind of guy that has a full 24/7 security view of his house, an automated in-home security system with voice command lock doors and even ballistic windows. A couple of months ago, some random stranger parked in his driveway for five minutes and it caused him to arm/lock his house and sit at his window with his gun drawn the whole time. He shared the story countless times in the following weeks, including several minutes of the video, to anyone who would listen. 

You're BIL reminds me of someone.

• Haha 3
25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Thanks for the sharing the story. That's really interesting.

Every time he told the story all I could think was "dude... some random person probably was Google mapping something in your driveway and here you are preparing for a home invasion." It's just a sort of doomsday mentality that I don't understand, but it's similar in many ways to how your friend's wife feels, I think.

It's hypocritical behavior no matter what side of the fence one is on. My brother-in-law would be liable to physically fight anyone who told him he doesn't need a gun, but telling other people they need guns is acceptable.

Well, this goes farther than just friends or family.

About a year ago, I had an employee (management) come to me expressing his desire to change our gun policy at work. Currently, we have a zero gun policy in the work place.  Well, his belief was that we should have more people at work with conceal carry permits and allow them to carry at work.  He would be one of these people.  

My first reaction was, "HELL NO".  But, I didn't say anything and said I would think about it.  He then went on to say that we have many truck drivers that come in who conceal carry.  He expressed that our current policy requires them to unholster their guns and leave them in the truck.  This is potentially unsafe because it requires them to handle their guns.

I'm sitting here in disbelief with what I'm hearing.  He is literally saying we should allow these people to carry their guns into the work place....when it's clearly unsafe for them to unholster their guns in private.

I stuck with the "HELL NO"....but, I expressed my opinion much more judiciously than that.  I'm sure he is still unhappy that I won't let him carry a gun.

• Plus1 4