Gun Control

I know this point has been made during the last 36 pages, but it goes worth saying again.

The car vs. gun debate is idiotic. One of those things is heavily regulated, has billions of dollars spent on it every year to improve functionality and safety, and has fairly strict laws associated with it. One of those things is also literally not designed to kill.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, OTHusker said:

however the number isn’t 39,000 either like these numbers suggest 

Yes it is. Suicides by gun count as being killed by a gun. That is an accurate number.

8 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Ok

so the weapons that most want to ban are assault style weapons correct? 

According to the leftist Huffington post assault style weapons were responsible for less than 1 percent of gun injuries

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5763109de4b015db1bc8c123/amp

5 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Since almost all suicides by gun are done with handguns why try to ban assault weapons first? 

Ordinary citizens have no need for assault style weapons, and if we decided we didn't need them we'd save 400 lives a year. You don't want to save 400 lives a year with an easy and sensible first step? 

Or do you think that "BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS" is the entirety of the argument? Because it's not. It's one element of many.

7 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Where do you draw the line?

over 31,000 car crash deaths 

First of all, cars weren't invented with the purpose of killing people. Second, in the early 70's over 50,000 people were dying from car crashes a year (with a much smaller total population). What did we do? We did research, we made them safer, we made people more educated, we raised the barrier of entry to be able to operate one, and we've reduced the number of auto fatalities almost in half. So we actually did something. Your approach to guns is to...what?  Do nothing because nothing can be done? Argue strawman points in opposition against any efforts for sensible legislation? Bulls#!t man.

7 hours ago, OTHusker said:

do you think there is value in lessening the number of car crash deaths in the us? 

Uh. Yeah. Which is exactly what we've done with several different approaches and contributing factors and saved tons of lives. Did you know that you have to take a test of competency and be certified to drive a car? It's a wild concept.

Do you think there is value in lessening the number of gun deaths in the US? Because the answer seems like a resounding no. Seems like you're only interested in telling libs that they're wrong.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Because assault style weapons are used in mass shootings. Name one mass shooting in the US that the perpetrator used a handgun? This is why the issue of gun control came up in the first place. It isnt because this gang member shot that gangmember. Its mass shootings. Schools, concerts, clubs, movie theatres. And if you dont care about fixing that issue than there is something seriously wrong with you. 

Are you serious? 

11,000 murders

400 by long gun

325,000,000 people

do the math

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And gosh darn it....don’t protest if it offends or inconveniences me. 

I really don’t have a problem with the NFL teams not hiring him. 

But....that’s not where that all started. It started with people from the right being offended and outraged that a football player dare to not stand for the anthem. After all, he must hate America, the military and anyone who sacrifices for this nation.

but, dad gummit....don’t take my guns away because I’ll need them to shoot the police and military. 

I’m glad someone here is in charge of who can and cannot be offended or have feelings about an issue 

red neck football fan- you aren’t allowed to be offended because someone here is in charge of that

you Cant be offended at being called a red neck or being offended because Ck Takes a knee during the anthem and wears cops are pigs socks

you aren’t allowed to have those feelings 

mr millennial someone calls you the dreaded snowflake term or you get offended at the myriad of things that offends many millenialx these days

the man in charge says.............,

yes you are allowed to have those feelings, you are allowed to be offended 

congrats Johnny 

im glad someone here is taking that task on 

personally I could care less. What ck does or doesn’t do 

1 minute ago, commando said:

you seem to be arguing for all guns to be banned since assault style weapons are only a small % of the problem?

I was just pointing out if guns are the problem

why in the world are those on the left going after the type of guns that shot just 1 yes one percent of the victims 

22 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

I’m glad someone here is in charge of who can and cannot be offended or have feelings about an issue 

red neck football fan- you aren’t allowed to be offended because someone here is in charge of that

you Cant be offended at being called a red neck or being offended because Ck Takes a knee during the anthem and wears cops are pigs socks

mr millennial someone calls you the dreaded snowflake term or you get offended at the myriad of things that offends many millenialx these days

yes you are allowed to have those feelings 

congrats Johnny 

I can honestly say I have no clue what you are trying to say here.....other than when someone says....”I could care less”.... that wound mean you actually do care. 

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

yes you are allowed to have those feelings 

congrats Johnny 

you sound triggered

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, OTHusker said:

As it seems the us military has struggled to defeat even very small even tiny  “armies” armed primarily with small arms

iraq

syria

Afghanistan

vietnam 

there are over 300,000,000 guns and over 300,000,000 people in the us 

I’m guessing that might be a bit of a deterrent since the us military had a tough time defeating “armies “ of 10,000-200,000 men 

I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a jungle in my backyard that I know better than the invading force.

17 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a jungle in my backyard that I know better than the invading force.

I’m not sure there are many jungles in Syria but that hasn’t seemed to stop a tiny poorly equipped force from creating quite a problem for a much larger and better equipped one 

2 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Are you serious? 

11,000 murders

400 by long gun

325,000,000 people

do the math

Yes, I am serious. Once again, ill ask the question. How many MASS SHOOTINGS have been carried out with handguns in the US starting with Columbine? 

When I have kids Id like them to be able to go to school to learn (even about history) and not have to worry about them getting killed. And id like to go on a date with my wife and not have to worry about the place getting shot up by a nut with an AR-15. Im not even calling for a total ban on them. Just stricter regulations for purchasing them. And if youre a law abiding citizen trying to purchase an AR-15 or other long rifle, you should have no problem getting through the process. Just may take longer than it does now. 

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Yes, I am serious. Once again, ill ask the question. How many MASS SHOOTINGS have been carried out with handguns in the US starting with Columbine? 

When I have kids Id like them to be able to go to school to learn (even about history) and not have to worry about them getting killed. And id like to go on a date with my wife and not have to worry about the place getting shot up by a nut with an AR-15. Im not even calling for a total ban on them. Just stricter regulations for purchasing them. And if youre a law abiding citizen trying to purchase an AR-15 or other long rifle, you should have no problem getting through the process. Just may take longer than it does now. 

When you go to movies 

that’s what you think about? 

ok there are 330,000,000 people in the us

how many got shot in movie theatres last 2 years 50? 

so you have a one in what 14 million chance of being shot there this year  and that’s keeping you up nights? 

You should worry more about the drive there and back than the movie itself 

that’s the danderous part 

Really ? 

You need to to go to Marcus theatres the ones with the loungers and c$%ktails 

The problem is who is in charge of determining who gets a gun and who doesn’t 

there’s no way any governmental office like that or the irs could ever be politicized or corrupted ? 

Happened under Nixon and obama for starters 

that never happens here or could never happen again right ? 

Most on the left are looking for a ban on assault style weapons not additional vetting 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/mass-shootings-in-america/?utm_term=.20aa6d3ed921

1153 killed in mass shootings since 1966 through 2018.  (Mass shooting defined as 4 or more people dying in one setting from gun violence) That averages out to 22 per year.  Not exactly epidemic.  Does it seem like it is happening more lately?  Has the nonstop coverage from the media accelerated this rate by 24 hour coverage whenever there is a shooting?  Maybe....maybe not.....I can't answer that but I suspect it might be a factor.

In any one year there are approximately 33,000 deaths from guns.  Factor out those that commit suicide and accidental deaths and you are left with about 11,000 deaths.  Remove the gun deaths through gang violence and you drop almost 9000 from that figure.  You are left with about 2000 deaths, many of which are neighbor disputes, jealous lovers.  2000 in a population of 320,000,000 means you have about a .0000069% chance of dying by gun violence if you aren't in a gang or commit suicide.

Lets address the suicide issue.  About 20,000 per year and a large percentage by gun. It's a sad and tragic number for sure.  Lets compare our national rate of 13.4/100,000 to Japan which is 19.5 per 100,000.  In Japan gun ownership is rare. Their most common form of suicide are poison and stepping in front of a high speed train.

• Thanks 1