Gun Control

to me the biggest thing we could do is limit the large capacity magazines.   when i go pheasant hunting i have to have the gun plugged so that i can only have 3 shells in the gun.   but someone with an AR-15 is allowed to have a 100 round drum that is only effective for hunting people in masses.   let's limit those guns to 3 rounds also so at least the guys who want to get the highest score can't get to the scores already achieved. the dayton  shooting killed 9 and wounded 27 in under 30 seconds before he was killed.   limit him to 3 shots and it would still be a tragedy....but it would be better than it turned out  with the current laws.

• Plus1 2

People can't be foolish enough to think these people that do mass shootings are not crazy.  Just because it doesn't fit into some nice box that some therapist created or just because it doesn't fit into the box of a definition of "crazy' doesn't mean they aren't' crazy.  If you take a gun into a store and start shooting people for fun/revenger whatever...you are a nutbar...period.  

People need to realize that you totally can be sane and insane.  You can be "normal" and "crazy".  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I agree with the common sense, but not the other part. Like I have said, I'm big in to hunting and other activities. I have been around countless people that are carrying guns and I've never feared for my life or been worried about being shot. I agree that there are certain guns that have no place in our society, but to just blame guns in all of this is ridiculous. Once all of the guns have been banned that people want banned, what are you going to blame for any shooting that occurs? It's easy to blame guns, and once again I do agree that there are some guns that should be banned, but guns are not the only issue here. Failure to admit this will keep our country going down this destructive path. 

where did knap talk about banning all guns?

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

People can't be foolish enough to think these people that do mass shootings are not crazy.  Just because it doesn't fit into some nice box that some therapist created or just because it doesn't fit into the box of a definition of "crazy' doesn't mean they aren't' crazy.  If you take a gun into a store and start shooting people for fun/revenger whatever...you are a nutbar...period.  

People need to realize that you totally can be sane and insane.  You can be "normal" and "crazy".  

Exactly, if we ignore this then we are just plain foolish.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

I never said that he did, I said once all of the guns have been banned that people want banned. That doesn't mean all guns, that means the ones that people want banned.

that's the problem.   anytime anyone talks about some common sense gun laws everyone hears "ban all guns"

• Plus1 1
Just now, commando said:

that's the problem.   anytime anyone talks about some common sense gun laws everyone hears "ban all guns"

Once again, I never said that people are wanting all guns banned. I'm simply trying to get everyone to understand that guns are not the only problem here. Like teach said, if we ignore the fact that there is a mental health issue here too, we are crazy.

• Plus1 2

Again, there is no study that shows these people are diagnosably mentally ill. So if you can't diagnose it, you can't treat it, and you can't fix it.

The "mental health" thing is a distraction. We are not the only country that has mentally ill people. We are the only 1st world nation where mass shootings like this happen to this extent. We also have the most guns per capita of any 1st world nation.

This is simple logic. 

Once again, I never said that people are wanting all guns banned. I'm simply trying to get everyone to understand that guns are not the only problem here. Like teach said, if we ignore the fact that there is a mental health issue here too, we are crazy.

Literally no one is saying that.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Again, there is no study that shows these people are diagnosably mentally ill. So if you can't diagnose it, you can't treat it, and you can't fix it.

The "mental health" thing is a distraction. We are not the only country that has mentally ill people. We are the only 1st world nation where mass shootings like this happen to this extent. We also have the most guns per capita of any 1st world nation.

This is simple logic. 

Literally no one is saying that.

You are to a degree. What if we changed mental health to saying that we are desensitized to violence in our country? In addition to banning certain guns, which I am ok with, let's also ban so much violence in our movies, video games and tv. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

You are to a degree. What if we changed mental health to saying that we are desensitized to violence in our country? In addition to banning certain guns, which I am ok with, let's also ban so much violence in our movies, video games and tv. 

You're not hearing me, then. I'm saying the gun culture is a huge problem. Said it several times.

It is simple...If you think that going into a store with a gun and shooting up people is okay...you are crazy.  

The study has already been done.  Crazy people bring guns into stores and shoot random people.  Non-crazy people don't do that.  They might think about it at times but they don't act it.  This has been diagnosed...the problem is not with the crazy people that are diagnosed as nuts.  The problem is the ones that are crazy but are good enough at hiding it to get what they want.  What is the saying...the greatest trick that devil ever did was convincing you he didn't exist. 

Ted Bundy was f#&%ing crazy...but he did a great job at acting normal.  

With that said, I would be thrilled to get rid of guns, I don't care about guns at all.  Like I said, maybe shotguns and muskets.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're not hearing me, then. I'm saying the gun culture is a huge problem. Said it several times.

Yes it is...very much so.

• Plus1 2

I didn't go back and read this whole thread, so you're also on board with banning movies with gun violence and video games and tv shows?

There are no studies that link mental health to these shootings. No studies that link video games to this gun violence. These are all deflections.

Where are you hearing that video games are an issue? Where are you hearing that movie violence is an issue? Are these the same people who told us listening to naughty rock music would turn us all into degenerates? The same people who told us playing Dungeons & Dragons would turn us into Satan worshipers?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There are no studies that link mental health to these shootings. No studies that link video games to this gun violence. These are all deflections.

Where are you hearing that video games are an issue? Where are you hearing that movie violence is an issue? Are these the same people who told us listening to naughty rock music would turn us all into degenerates? The same people who told us playing Dungeons & Dragons would turn us into Satan worshipers?

Ok, I'm out with this. I'm never going to convince you that guns aren't  the only issue here. Once again, I hope that they do ban certain guns and I really hope that all shootings will stop. 

3 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I'm never going to convince you that guns aren't  the only issue here.

I. Am. Not. Saying. That.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can convince yourself of anything. A discerning mind requires evidence. There is no evidence of the things you're claiming.

• Haha 1