Gun Control

Just now, knapplc said:

I. Am. Not. Saying. That.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can convince yourself of anything. A discerning mind requires evidence. There is no evidence of the things you're claiming.

Your two statements are contradicting. If You. Are. Not. Saying. That., then what other issues are there besides guns?

• Plus1 1

Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

Your two statements are contradicting. If You. Are. Not. Saying. That., then what other issues are there besides guns? 

Gun culture. Misinformation and propaganda from the NRA, including paying to block research. Republicans in congress who refuse to vote on legislation to even study the problem.

• Plus1 4

Banning certain weapons, or classification of weapons and enacting tougher back ground checks won't stop all shootings, or mass shootings. You would be a fool to think that. But they will reduce the number of occurrences. I think Australia and NZ have proven that. At this point anything is better than nothing. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

perceived grievances.   in el paso he wanted to kill the "invaders"    he was stirred up by far right talking points and he acted on them believing it made him some kind of hero.   not sure what the grievance was in dayton....but it seems to be domestic since he killed his own sister.   the islamic terrorists have their grievance against the west and are riled up by their leaders to act as some sort of hero.   etc. etc...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Gun culture. Misinformation and propaganda from the NRA, including paying to block research. Republicans in congress who refuse to vote on legislation to even study the problem.

I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but I'll respect your opinion. Last thing I'll say before I take my kids to the pool and I've said this already, I really hope that they do pass legislation and ban the guns that people do want to ban. When that day comes, I will once again come in here to see what people are blaming if these shootings are still happening. 

1 minute ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I'll respect your opinion

Same. I don't think we're that far off in our beliefs. Just approaching it from different angles.

1 minute ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I really hope that they do pass legislation and ban the guns that people do want to ban. When that day comes, I will once again come in here to see what people are blaming if these shootings are still happening.  

It's worked in every other civilized country. If it doesn't work here, it's because someone actively doesn't want it to work. And figuring that out will be a step forward, and good progress.

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I agree with the common sense, but not the other part. Like I have said, I'm big in to hunting and other activities. I have been around countless people that are carrying guns and I've never feared for my life or been worried about being shot. I agree that there are certain guns that have no place in our society, but to just blame guns in all of this is ridiculous. Once all of the guns have been banned that people want banned, what are you going to blame for any shooting that occurs? It's easy to blame guns, and once again I do agree that there are some guns that should be banned, but guns are not the only issue here. Failure to admit this will keep our country going down this destructive path. 

I agree that the back ground checks aren't the solution to everything.  But, it can be a part of the solution.  One of the frustrations in all of this is that congress doesn't pass anything because everyone focuses on individual ideas for a solution and find all the ways it's not going to help.

I am a gun owner also.  I have absolutely zero problem with the proposed back ground checks and think it should pass.  To then sit back and stick your nose in the air if it doesn't solve the problem is...well.....counter productive.

We have the ability to work through a number of possible solutions at the same time.  My list to start are:

Improved back ground checks

Improved access to healthcare

Red Flag laws

Improve and increase the list of types of people who are not allowed to own guns.

I've seen reports about how often people who commit murder have other things happening in their lives that should be big red flags.  For instance, many murders are committed by people who have been convicted of domestic violence.  These people should not be allowed to own a gun.  That's just one example.  

Problem is, the Republican party has fought against almost all of what's on my list and refuse to do anything about it.

• Plus1 1

The "good guy with a gun" theory put to rest.

'Good Guys With Guns' Can Rarely Stop Mass Shootings, and Texas and Ohio Show Why

The gunman who opened fire in Dayton, Ohio early Sunday killed nine people and wounded 14 in just 32 seconds before police responded and took him down.

Dayton, along with the shooting at an El Paso, Texas Walmart the day before, are the most recent mass shootings that show how, despite the presence of trained officers and armed civilians—the people the National Rifle Association would call “good guys with guns”—gunmen can inflict horrific casualty counts within seconds, before anyone can respond. Experts on violent crime say such incidents make clear that despite the NRA’s post-Sandy Hook justification, relaxing gun laws to let more people to arm themselves has done nothing to prevent mass shootings.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1.  Dudes carrying guns like to think they are Wyatt Earp but rarely do they end up saving the day, if ever.  I think everyone knows that.

2.  Maybe just make a law where dorky looking white guys under the age of 40 can't buy/own guns...I mean they are the ones that do these mass shootings.

4 hours ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Ok,I'll never convince you and tha's ok. I hope that they do get legislation passed. I just can't wait to see what everyone blames if all of the guns are illegal and bad things like these keep happening.

Appreciating your contributions to the discussion here Sandhills.

You mention that "nobody has the problems we have here".  True I guess, but help me understand what you mean.  The "troubles" we have here, in the greatest country on earth are small potatos compared to what others face, if it's due to level of issues I'd expect higher numbers in places lik Africa, Ukraine etc.  And I'd also expect places like Norway and Australia to be in line with us, as we have similar "problems". 

35 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Appreciating your contributions to the discussion here Sandhills.

You mention that "nobody has the problems we have here".  True I guess, but help me understand what you mean.  The "troubles" we have here, in the greatest country on earth are small potatos compared to what others face, if it's due to level of issues I'd expect higher numbers in places lik Africa, Ukraine etc.  And I'd also expect places like Norway and Australia to be in line with us, as we have similar "problems". 

The problems that we have here that I was referring to would be:

1) Hollywood: we just can't ignore the fact that movies and tv are getting more and more violent and therefore leading to more kids thinking violence is a part of life.

2) The increase use of social media with cyberbullying becoming more and more common. I'm not saying that there isn't bullying in other countries, but it's way more rampant in our nation. I'm going in to my 19th year teaching and we deal with it more today than we ever did when I started teaching. 

3) Hate in our government. I know that Trump is a big part of this problem, but Republicans and Democrats are all getting worse and bicker with each other so much. When our elected officials can't even get along, it makes it tougher for citizens to do the same.

None of this is probably making any kind of sense, but we can't just focus on banning guns. We have a lot of work to do in our country and I'm afraid we always will.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

1) Hollywood: we just can't ignore the fact that movies and tv are getting more and more violent and therefore leading to more kids thinking violence is a part of life.

2) The increase use of social media with cyberbullying becoming more and more common. I'm not saying that there isn't bullying in other countries, but it's way more rampant in our nation. I'm going in to my 19th year teaching and we deal with it more today than we ever did when I started teaching. 

3) Hate in our government. I know that Trump is a big part of this problem, but Republicans and Democrats are all getting worse and bicker with each other so much. When our elected officials can't even get along, it makes it tougher for citizens to do the same.

None of this is probably making any kind of sense, but we can't just focus on banning guns. We have a lot of work to do in our country and I'm afraid we always will.

Thanks - I agree all of these are issues here.  I don't think that other nations escape them though.  I have a sibling that teaches overseas and he faces challenges similar to what he faced in FL when he taught here.  Are there data out there that show figured on US vs other countries on any of this?  I know when I watch Parliment the bickering an debate is worse than here, or at least more direct.  They're itneresting points, I just don't know that any of them are different here than elsewhere.

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I don’t think there is anything on your list that isn’t in other countries. 

• Plus1 2