Gun Control

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t think there is anything on your list that isn’t in other countries. 

Hollywood is in California and I will guarantee you that social media is a bigger problem in our schools than a lot of other countries. I will also be willing to bet that our government is a much differently run than a lot of other countries. Not wanting to admit any of this is a problem as well.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Thanks - I agree all of these are issues here.  I don't think that other nations escape them though.  I have a sibling that teaches overseas and he faces challenges similar to what he faced in FL when he taught here.  Are there data out there that show figured on US vs other countries on any of this?  I know when I watch Parliment the bickering an debate is worse than here, or at least more direct.  They're itneresting points, I just don't know that any of them are different here than elsewhere.

I have no idea how much data is out there. The only data that I have about students in our country is the fact that I have been in education for so long. I'm sure that Parliment does bicker and debate, out government is a little different with how they fight each other tough IMO.

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Hollywood is in California and I will guarantee you that social media is a bigger problem in our schools than a lot of other countries. I will also be willing to bet that our government is a much differently run than a lot of other countries. Not wanting to admit any of this is a problem as well.

It doesn't matter where Hollywood is just look at the box office reports for movies all the bad violent action movies make as much if not more internationally. 

• Plus1 2

Uh... Dude I hate to break it to ya, but movies have had violence since forever. WWII movies showing people being killed were being made during the war. Movies of the 70s and 80s we're just as violent and gory as today, if not more so. Video games with violence have been around since the 90s. All of these things have been around for decades, there is no correlation between them and increased mass shootings, none. 

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Uh... Dude I hate to break it to ya, but movies have had violence since forever. WWII movies showing people being killed were being made during the war. Movies of the 70s and 80s we're just as violent and gory as today, if not more so. Video games with violence have been around since the 90s. All of these things have been around for decades, there is no correlation between them and increased mass shootings, none. 

It must be all that dope the kids are smoking

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Ok, I can see that everyone just wants to blame guns and guns alone. Once again, I'm all for a ban on certain guns but I feel sorry for everyone that is just blaming guns for all of this. If they finally do ban some guns, please be ready to justify why there is still these crimes occurring in our country. I'll be in the football and basketball forums. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Ok, I can see that everyone just wants to blame guns and guns alone. Once again, I'm all for a ban on certain guns but I feel sorry for everyone that is just blaming guns for all of this. If they finally do ban some guns, please be ready to justify why there is still these crimes occurring in our country. I'll be in the football and basketball forums. 

Just because we are disagreeing with you on your list, doesn’t mean we are only blaming guns. However, I firmly believe guns in the wrong hands are the biggest problem. 

And MORE guns are not the solution. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Violent movies and social media are huge in other countries. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because we are disagreeing with you on your list, doesn’t mean we are only blaming guns. However, I firmly believe guns in the wrong hands are the biggest problem. 

And MORE guns are not the solution. 

When did I say that MORE guns are the solution? I have agreed with all of you that there does need to be a ban on certain guns. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

When did I say that MORE guns are the solution? I have agreed with all of you that there does need to be a ban on certain guns. 

we have a choice....suspend the 1st amendment or the 2nd.   tough decisions.   cause hate speech is protected and it seeks out and inspires the idiots who will grab their guns and go out to be a hero of whatever cuase they are buying into.  everywhere hate speech gains a foothold it inspires violence.   and that is what we most;y have here.   there are some individuals crazies but most of these mass murders are for 1 cause or another. i believe we can walk the line and at least try to reduce the damage that those idiots can do by somewhat limiting the firepower available to them but still leave everyone the right to have guns...... just not guns that can shoot 40 people in 28 seconds.

11 hours ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

No one is claiming it will ever completely stop them from happening. We're saying that it will improve the situation, and something is better than nothing. Seat belts don't save every life in a car crash, but we made them mandatory because they can help greatly reduced fatalities. 

There is no reason anyone needs a 100 round magazine. I don't even think you need a 30 round magazine. If it's going to take you more than 10 rounds to hit a target multiple times with an AR style semiautomatic rifle, you probably shouldn't be using that weapon to begin with. The US has more guns per capita than any developed nation. We have more guns than people, and you want to say that, maybe we don't have a gun problem? I think that's just not wanting to admit their might be an issue there. I don't want to ban all guns. I don't want to not address mental health issues in this country, but to say guns aren't a problem seems foolish to me at this point.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

With all due respect, because I hold the teaching profession in very high regard, it is disappointing that you, as an educator, are failing to apply actual evidence to your argument and using logical fallacies in your responses. The gun violence issue is complex, multi-faceted problem, and it needs to be an exercise in critical thinking. Repeatedly saying "everyone just wants to blame guns and guns alone" is false and intellectually lazy, and following it up with the old "I'll take my ball and go home" shtick is embarrassing. What is it that you teach?

We need gun owners and conservatives in this debate and to be willing to engage with others to find a solution. But for gods sake we need to use logic and evidence. 

• Plus1 6

NRA warns Trump - Don't go with enhanced background checks.   We'll see how long before Trump crumbles.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Trump-warned-by-NRA-over-background-checks-14288843.php

NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre spoke with Trump on Tuesday after the president expressed support for a background check bill and told him it would not be popular among Trump's supporters, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to freely discuss internal talks. LaPierre also argued against the bill's merits, the officials said