Gun Control

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Hark who's talking... the NRA accusing someone else of corruption.

Interesting timing too after the announcement that NYC would be seeking to sever all business contracts with the Trump organization. They're not directly related situations at all, but still interesting.

• Plus1 1
Just now, commando said:

not much to see here IMO.  they are just doing this to get out of NY and reorganized in texas if i am reading it right.. 

I agree that it is not like they are "out of business" but the timing for a reorganization is suspect. I would have assumed, at least in Middle America, that their membership would be up, not down. Firearm and ammo sales are through the roof right now. 

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Don't care so much what happens with the NRA, I just hope that Biden is reasonable with any new gun laws, and doesn't pander to extreme measures suggested by some on the left.

I don't think you need to worry.  Biden won't do much with guns.  He is a career politician and knows the game.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm banking on that with a lot of his campaign promises. Here's to hoping he was pandering for votes. :thumbs

Yeah, nothing will happen with guns and very little will happen with his green deal.

But we will be getting 1,400 dollars come what, Jan 28thish???!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Don't care so much what happens with the NRA, I just hope that Biden is reasonable with any new gun laws, and doesn't pander to extreme measures suggested by some on the left.

i remember 8 years of "Obama is going to take your guns away".    nothing much will happen.   i would still like to see large capacity magazines be controled......but i doubt that even gets talked about.

• Plus1 2
Just now, commando said:

i remember 8 years of "Obama is going to take your guns away".    nothing much will happen.   i would still like to see large capacity magazines be controled......bbut i doubt that even gets talked about.

Oh, yes. Those were the days. I'm not a 'huge' gun guy, but I like to have them for hunting, and in home protection. I keep one in the truck, but not much of a "carry" guy.

5 minutes ago, commando said:

i remember 8 years of "Obama is going to take your guns away".    nothing much will happen.   i would still like to see large capacity magazines be controled......but i doubt that even gets talked about.

All Obama did was make gun manufacturers richer.

I am guessing that Obama and many of his friends had a lot of stocks in gun manufacturers.  Lord knows I wish I would have.

• Plus1 2
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

IMO, much of what's listed on his website seems reasonable to me assuming he sticks to it... which I think he would. A lot of this is pretty common sense stuff to me, particularly the closing of purchasing/background check loopholes.

There are three big problems the way I see it, though. First, selling guns and ammunition is incredibly lucrative. I have a family member that sells weapons a lot through their business. They do everything by the book, but "by the book" has a ton of gaffes and loopholes in it. People are always going to fight something if it means they'll lose money.

Second, this is one of those things where there isn't a lot of middle ground for me. I think gun owners need to acquiesce and face reality more than a lot of them currently choose to. And I'm a gun owner. But, gun violence and deaths are out of control. So is the ease of which someone can get them. Our international peers have made huge strides in figuring this stuff out and the evidence is overwhelmingly positive.

Third, any attempt to change gun laws will me immediately be met by the 'they're trying to take your guns' crowd. They're radicalists. And they're effective at convincing plebs that this is an issue when it isn't.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO, much of what's listed on his website seems reasonable to me assuming he sticks to it... which I think he would. A lot of this is pretty common sense stuff to me, particularly the closing of purchasing/background check loopholes.

There are three big problems the way I see it, though. First, selling guns and ammunition is incredibly lucrative. I have a family member that sells weapons a lot through their business. They do everything by the book, but "by the book" has a ton of gaffes and loopholes in it. People are always going to fight something if it means they'll lose money.

Second, this is one of those things where there isn't a lot of middle ground for me. I think gun owners need to acquiesce and face reality more than a lot of them currently choose to. And I'm a gun owner. But, gun violence and deaths are out of control. So is the ease of which someone can get them. Our international peers have made huge strides in figuring this stuff out and the evidence is overwhelmingly positive.

Third, any attempt to change gun laws will me immediately be met by the 'they're trying to take your guns' crowd. They're radicalists. And they're effective at convincing plebs that this is an issue when it isn't.

Admittedly, I don't like the idea of the government knowing what guns I own, but I understand their need for that information.

Edit: You're okay with the government telling you how many guns you can own? Nah. A lot of that on his website makes me uncomfortable.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Admittedly, I don't like the idea of the government knowing what guns I own, but I understand their need for that information.

I think Australia has any interesting take on gun regulations. They basically have several different licenses you apply for that allows you to buy certain types of guns, guns are registered to an individual's license, and licenses must be reapplied for periodically. If we implemented something like that in the US, we could do something like have a rural license that could be very easy to obtain and allow typical weapons for hunting. Handguns could have tighter controls, especially in urban areas. High capacity magazines could be tighter controlled, etc. Courts could temporarily or permanently ban (or reinstate) individuals from particular license, for example during domestic abuse situations or messy divorces. A lot of flexibility in a system like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_of_Australia

• Plus1 1