Gun Control

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Edit: You're okay with the government telling you how many guns you can own? Nah. A lot of that on his website makes me uncomfortable.

I don't care if the gov't knows how many guns I have or don't have. Why do you? The government already has mountains of personal information on you, more than you probably know or would feel comfortable with. And if they don't have it, they could find it out.

But your reaction is sort of what I'm talking about. The vast majority of policies listed on Biden's page have to do with gun violence programs for those affected, closing buyback and purchasing loopholes, background check strengthening, eliminating high capacity magazines, eliminating ghost guns, and accountability for sellers/manufacturers.

It's nowhere near as strict as most other first world countries who have way less gun violence and deaths than we do, and yet the topic is met with almost immediate consternation and resistance. I don't get it.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't care if the gov't knows how many guns I have or don't have. Why do you? The government already has mountains of personal information on you, more than you probably know or would feel comfortable with. And if they don't have it, they could find it out.

But your reaction is sort of what I'm talking about. The vast majority of policies listed on Biden's page have to do with gun violence programs for those affected, closing buyback and purchasing loopholes, background check strengthening, eliminating high capacity magazines, eliminating ghost guns, and accountability for sellers/manufacturers.

It's nowhere near as strict as most other first world countries who have way less gun violence and deaths than we do, and yet the topic is met with almost immediate consternation and resistance. I don't get it.

Meh. There's some pretty invasive ideas listed in your link. I'm all for reasonable regulation (production of high capacity guns), but not so into things like the government telling people how many guns they can own.... No thanks.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Meh. There's some pretty invasive ideas listed in your link. I'm all for reasonable regulation (production of high capacity guns), but not so into things like the government telling people how many guns they can own.... No thanks.

How many guns do does one need?  Serious question. 

• Plus1 1

I'm not asking this to be snarky or combative, but which specific policy or policies are you referencing that give you concern about the gov't telling people how many guns they can own?

Additionally, which policies listed do you think would have an overtly negative impact on the quantity of weapons a person could own in a way that's more valuable than saving lives and preventing gun violence? Because I can tell everyone right now that high capacity magazines aren't the reason we're a laughing stock fo the modern world. It's a small and necessary step, but not the most important or among the most important.

I am 100% not a guy and think they should all be eliminated, with that said, it is a slippery slope when the government gets to decided how much of something you can own.

Why not the amount of land, or cars or rental properties, why not regulate income?  What about the amount of booze you can purchase in a month (please god, NOOOOO), what if they regulated how much you could gamble?

Now, I am in no way comparing those things to guns in terms of what they are used for...but the idea of regulating how many you can buy of anything is not something I like, but I am also a hypocrite because I would be fine if they just got rid of all guns.

I suppose if you were looking at making this smart you would not regulate gun purchasing but ammo purchasing.  But I would not like that either, but then again I would not do anything to fight to stop it because I am not that type of person.

@teachercd IMO the sheer fact that this country's gun problems lead to so much gun violence and deaths, and that guns are literally designed for killing, puts them on a pedestal away from all those other things you mentioned in regards to why they should be more regulated.

Again, most other first world countries acknowledge this. Many Americans don't.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

@teachercd IMO the sheer fact that this country's gun problems lead to so much gun violence and deaths, and that guns are literally designed for killing, puts them on a pedestal away from all those other things you mentioned in regards to why they should be more regulated.

Again, most other first world countries acknowledge this. Many Americans don't.

Dude, I am with you.  I Hate guns and am fine if they are all gone by tomorrow morning.

I just think once you regulate that...other things come into play.  I mean, crazy a$$ women did get booze banned in this country 100 years ago.  Ironically most of those women never would have had kids without booze.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

How many guns do does one need?  Serious question. 

However many a law abiding citizen wants to own....

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not asking this to be snarky or combative, but which specific policy or policies are you referencing that give you concern about the gov't telling people how many guns they can own?

Additionally, which policies listed do you think would have an overtly negative impact on the quantity of weapons a person could own in a way that's more valuable than saving lives and preventing gun violence? Because I can tell everyone right now that high capacity magazines aren't the reason we're a laughing stock fo the modern world. It's a small and necessary step, but not the most important or among the most important.

I could, and likely will, live with most of the policies that he has listed on his site... Some, I'd outright support. The ones that give me pause are the prevention of "stockpiling" guns, license for gun ownership, showing which guns you own (a background check should be enough, if you pass it, it shouldn't matter what gun, or how many you own), and the ending of online sales.

I don't see a correlation between how many guns a law abiding citizen owns, and preventing gun violence.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, I am with you.  I Hate guns and am fine if they are all gone by tomorrow morning.

I just think once you regulate that...other things come into play.  I mean, crazy a$$ women did get booze banned in this country 100 years ago.  Ironically most of those women never would have had kids without booze.

Ehh... I think it's a stretch, personally. I get what you're trying to express but I don't see any of those things you mentioned as correlative to guns in really any way.

Are gun's place in capitalism more important than the negative effects it causes on our society?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Enhance said:

Ehh... I think it's a stretch, personally. I get what you're trying to express but I don't see any of those things you mentioned as correlative to guns in really any way.

Are gun's place in capitalism more important than the negative effects it causes on our society?

I don't see it happening either, but once you open a door...

I don't think there needs to be a correlation, just a precedent.  

I don't see a correlation between how many guns a law abiding citizen owns, and preventing gun violence.

I think there's a deep discussion to be had there but I have to hop away from the PC for awhile :)

But, law-abiding citizens aren't really the focus of many of those policies. Unless, of course, we're talking about proper storage and safety. I know several law-abiding and smart gun owners who have had their guns stolen because of a lapse in judgement, a mistake or a burglary. Next hting you know, the gun ends up the street in the back of someone's car and gets used in a violent crime.

Stolen weapons are a huge problem in the gun violence debate. Part of this fix is limiting ease of access and holding people accountable, not necessarily saying how many guns you can/cant have.

• Plus1 1