Gun Control

19 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

However many a law abiding citizen wants to own....

Need not wants.  I get your response though.  The problem is the 5% who aren’t law abiding citizens.  But, that being said, I don’t think people owning too many guns is the problem either.  More like the wrong people owning them and the type of gun one can own.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Need not wants.  I get your response though.  The problem is the 5% who aren’t law abiding citizens.  But, that being said, I don’t think people owning too many guns is the problem either.  More like the wrong people owning them and the type of gun one can own.  

The problem is also that law-abiding citizens often become non-law-abiding citizens. And at that point they have a bunch of guns.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think there's a deep discussion to be had there but I have to hop away from the PC for awhile :)

But, law-abiding citizens aren't really the focus of many of those policies. Unless, of course, we're talking about proper storage and safety. I know several law-abiding and smart gun owners who have had their guns stolen because of a lapse in judgement, a mistake or a burglary. Next hting you know, the gun ends up the street in the back of someone's car and gets used in a violent crime.

Stolen weapons are a huge problem in the gun violence debate. Part of this fix is limiting ease of access and holding people accountable, not necessarily saying how many guns you can/cant have.

My apologies for not finding the correct way to ask this, but the solution is to hold the person accountable that is being stolen from?

Just now, obert1 said:

My apologies for not finding the correct way to ask this, but the solution is to hold the person accountable that is being stolen from?

I think so, in cases of negligence. You leave a gun in an unlocked vehicle, that should come with repercussions.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The problem is also that law-abiding citizens often become non-law-abiding citizens. And at that point they have a bunch of guns.

This would be interesting, I wonder how many people bought guns and were good...and then went bad.

In the end, a single shot rifle, a single shot shotgun (I don't know if that is a thing) and muskets is all that should be sold.

Maybe those little 6 shooters, a 22?   

2 minutes ago, obert1 said:

I would be cool with that.  Your gun and ammo gets stolen and is used in a crime, you go to prison for life.  Your gun gets stolen, you get a 30 year sentence, your ammo gets stolen you get a 10 year sentence.

Every gun owner I know tells me how responsible they are, so it should not be an issue.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good point.  Although, I think the type of gun matters more.  A wacko with one AR and ten 20 round magazines in his backpack is way worse than the same wacko trying to carry ten 12-gauge shotguns to a potential mass shooting target. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I think so, in cases of negligence. You leave a gun in an unlocked vehicle, that should come with repercussions.

What if you leave keys in a car and it gets stolen? Say it's used in an event that causes a fatality or another crime in some way. Do you hold the person who left their keys in the car partially responsible as well? I'll be 100% honest here, I'm hesitant to get into these discussions b/c I don't enjoy conflict, I ask for my own learning opportunity here and to gather other thoughts.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Off the top of my head, the Las Vegas shooter comes to mind. No prior criminal record as I recall.

I would imagine there are a lot.  

The background stuff doesn't work all that well, I have a buddy who has been admitted twice for being crazy (bipolar) and he buys guns with no problem at all...and bows...I also think he bought the complete series collection of The Golden Girls on DVD one night, so...

2 minutes ago, obert1 said:

What if you leave keys in a car and it gets stolen? Say it's used in an event that causes a fatality or another crime in some way. Do you hold the person who left their keys in the car partially responsible as well? I'll be 100% honest here, I'm hesitant to get into these discussions b/c I don't enjoy conflict, I ask for my own learning opportunity here and to gather other thoughts.

No worries about the bold. That's what P&R is for. Speak your mind.

I get your analogy, but where I think it's different is in the intent of the item. A car is intended for transportation. Guns are intended to kill. I can use a spoon to kill someone, but i don't think we should have more spoon regulation.