Gun Control

51 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm going to be a little pissed off at my neighbor that starts shooting at the occupying enemy troops and ultimately gets our entire neighborhood leveled and everyone rounded up and killed...

The good news is you'll only be pissed off at them for a few seconds before the shells hit...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I'm going to be a little pissed off at my neighbor that starts shooting at the occupying enemy troops and ultimately gets our entire neighborhood leveled and everyone rounded up and killed...

But at least there might be a monument recognizing his valor. I’m thinking a bronze statue of a guy in an apron with his Mac-10 in one hand and a spatula in the other. 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Right! But he did deliver a great line, "...if you want my gun, you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands."  

Yes! exactly what I was referring to! I am sure that stunt has compounded the issue over the years. 

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Right! But he did deliver a great line, "...if you want my gun, you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands."  

I liked the MiB use of that line better:  

• Haha 1

Pretty good study by the FBI (LINK) that answers the questions:  "how do the active shooters behave before the attack?" and, if it can be determined, "why did they attack?"

Here are the FBI findings:  

1. The 63 active shooters examined in this study did not appear to be uniform in any way such that they could be readily identified prior to attacking based on demographics alone.

2. Active shooters take time to plan and prepare for the attack, with 77 % of the subjects spending a week or longer planning their attack and 46% spending a week or longer actually preparing (procuring the means) for the attack.

3. A majority of active shooters obtained their firearms legally, with only very small percentages obtaining a firearm illegally.

4. The FBI could only verify that 25% of active shooters in the study had ever been diagnosed with a mental illness. Of those diagnosed, only three had been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder.

5. Active shooters were typically experiencing multiple stressors (an average of 3.6 separate stressors) in the year before they attacked.

6. On average, each active shooter displayed 4 to 5 concerning behaviors over time that were observable to others around the shooter. The most frequently occurring concerning behaviors were related to the active shooter's mental health, problematic interpersonal interactions, and leakage of violent intent.

7. For active shooters under age 18, school peers and teachers were more likely to observe concerning behaviors than family members. For active shooters 18 years old and over, spouses/domestic partners were the most likely to observe concerning behaviors.

8. When concerning behavior was observed by others, the most common response was to communicate directly to the active shooter (83%) or do nothing (54%). In 41 % of the cases the concerning behavior was reported to law enforcement. Therefore, just because concerning behavior was recognized does not necessarily mean that it was reported to law enforcement.

9. In those cases where the active shooter's primary grievance could be identified, the most common grievances were related to an adverse interpersonal or employment action against the shooter.  (49%)

10. In the majority of cases (64%) at least one of the victims was specifically targeted by the active shooter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1