Gun Control

I think it's wishful thinking for the gun fetishists to think regular people won't ban all of their guns - lock, stock & barrel - if they don't start being reasonable and meeting us somewhere in the middle.

Just like in the 50s when people thought America would never allow Black people to sit at the same lunch counter as White folk.

Just like when they thought America would never Blacks and Whites to marry.

Just like when they thought America would never accept homosexuals as regular folk.

Just like when they thought America would never elect a Black man as President. (twice)

I mean... maybe keeping one's head in the sand about the changing tide of American ideals isn't the best way to go about one's life?

Dunno. Probably none of the above actually happened. I'm sure sweeping gun reform won't happen too.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think it's wishful thinking for the gun fetishists to think regular people won't ban all of their guns - lock, stock & barrel - if they don't start being reasonable and meeting us somewhere in the middle.

Just like in the 50s when people thought America would never allow Black people to sit at the same lunch counter as White folk.

Just like when they thought America would never Blacks and Whites to marry.

Just like when they thought America would never accept homosexuals as regular folk.

Just like when they thought America would never elect a Black man as President. (twice)

I mean... maybe keeping one's head in the sand about the changing tide of American ideals isn't the best way to go about one's life?

Dunno. Probably none of the above actually happened. I'm sure sweeping gun reform won't happen too.

Apples and oranges.... The only correlation between  the issues you listed, and gun control is that in all examples someone's constitutional rights are being infringed upon.

I think the easiest solution is to make it a state issue. People in San Francisco, and folks from the Ozarks (for example), will never see eye to eye on this, and they shouldn't have to. Let the states decide.

• Plus1 4
15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think it's wishful thinking (and probably some ignorance) to expect the government to stop at *only* taking the ARs.... That's where it may start, but it won't end there.  This assumption is unfounded and isn’t a reason to not ban combat weapons that have no legitimate use by civilians.  

Also, background checks for person-to-person sales is f#&%ing stupid.  Not making background checks universal would create loopholes that surely would get exploited. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Apples and oranges.... The only correlation between  the issues you listed, and gun control is that in all examples someone's constitutional rights are being infringed upon.

It’s not infringement.   Types of weapons one can own is already restricted.   The 2A is not inclusive to all guns by way of long standing precedent.  

I think the easiest solution is to make it a state issue. People in San Francisco, and folks from the Ozarks (for example), will never see eye to eye on this, and they shouldn't have to. Let the states decide.  Bad guys and bad guns can cross state lines   Legally or not.   

• Plus1 3

16 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think it's wishful thinking (and probably some ignorance) to expect the government to stop at *only* taking the ARs.... That's where it may start, but it won't end there.

Also, background checks for person-to-person sales is f#&%ing stupid.

What else would they "take away"?

Seems pretty stupid not to check person to person. Seems like a major loop hole...

• Plus1 2
On 4/10/2021 at 7:17 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think the easiest solution is to make it a state issue. People in San Francisco, and folks from the Ozarks (for example), will never see eye to eye on this, and they shouldn't have to. Let the states decide.

IMO there are two problems with this:

1) It's wishful thinking that this would actually accomplish anything of significance, at least not for the defense you explicitly list. A lot of states are as split politically as any two separate states. Eastern Nebraskans know this as well as anyone else.

2) What you're describing is the status quo, which we essentially all agree is in an unacceptable state. Maybe we disagree on how to fix it, but we seemingly agree there's a problem. Without a federal approach to enforcement and reform, you're leaving a lot of chips on the table, effectively setting the stage for mass shootings and gun violence to continue in the places that choose to keep their head stuck in the sand about it. We don't need more confusion and ambiguity regarding guns.

• Plus1 3
On 4/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, ScarletRevival said:

I'd bet that China Joe is very concerned about keeping his kid out of the pokey. But, I'm sure that the checks will still flow in from Russia, China, the Ukraine, etc. to the Biden Crime family even if Hunter is in the clink.

Interesting that you bring up the President though. He is/was the President to and for everyone,  unlike China Joe who has done everything he can to be divisive and to, without evidence, paint a certain section of our citizens as something that they are not.

But to be fair to the old guy, he was a total moron prior to the cognitive decline, now with the dementia or alzheimer's setting in he is a total embarrassment. 

I believe in our Constitution. The 2nd Amendment is pretty clear cut.

Which "well regulated militia" do you belong to?

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
On 4/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think it's wishful thinking (and probably some ignorance) to expect the government to stop at *only* taking the ARs.... That's where it may start, but it won't end there.

Also, background checks for person-to-person sales is f#&%ing stupid.

Forgive my ignorance, but for a P2P sale, doesn't there have to be a change in registration of the gun at some point in time? Why not implement a background check at this stage?

Where did they get the guns? A comprehensive look at Colorado’s history of public gun violence.
After the shooting at a Boulder King Soopers, The Colorado Sun researched the guns involved in the state’s long history with mass murder and school threats.

Six days before Colorado’s latest mass shooting, the suspect bought a Ruger AR-556 pistol at a gun store near his home. 

Seven days before an Arapahoe High School student killed a classmate in 2013, he picked up a 12-gauge shotgun at a Cabela’s store. 

One day before an 18-year-old allegedly obsessed with the Columbine murders caused lockdowns and closures at hundreds of Colorado schools, she purchased a pump-action shotgun just after stepping off her flight from Florida.

The Colorado Sun reviewed the state’s long history of mass shootings, school shootings and other high-profile acts of gun violence to piece together a comprehensive look at how and where the perpetrators got their weapons. 

Two main themes emerged in Colorado’s cases: In some, the guns used in the killings were purchased legally in preparation for the crimes. In others, they were stolen — such as in May 2019, when two students at STEM School Highlands Ranch used an ax and a crowbar to break into a gun safe in one of their homes, just hours before authorities say one of them shot and killed a classmate.

• Thanks 1

Moving these into this thread:

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Not sure I follow? Archy made a valid point. This was a horrible mistake by a member of law enforcement.

This had absolutely nothing to do with "gun reform" for the average gun owner, who cannot/do not own tasers and are not trying to apprehend criminals. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

In which Goalposts pretends that when an officer mistakes a taser with a gun  in the line of duty in any way affects a citizen who DOESNT carry a taser and handgun making the same mistake :dunno

Come on. You two really don't see the obvious link between how a 26 year police officer with gun training performed in the heat of the moment and how everyday people with guns would perform in the heat of the moment? Seems like you're trying not to see it.

@knapplc sums it up:

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If the solution to gun violence is more guns, and well-trained people will make the right decision in the heat of the moment with their guns, then let's have more guns, as gun advocates want.

Except this cop's mistake proves that no amount of training eliminates mistakes, and shows that the answer to America's gun problem is not more guns, but fewer. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Come on. You two really don't see the obvious link between how a 26 year police officer with gun training performed in the heat of the moment and how everyday people with guns would perform in the heat of the moment? Seems like you're trying not to see it.

@knapplc sums it up:

Well, except no one said that "more guns" would have solved this incident...? 

While the "more guns" narrative may play with Wayne LaPierre and his ilk, I don't think anyone on this board has ever said more guns solves anything. 

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Well, except no one said that "more guns" would have solved this incident...? 

While the "more guns" narrative may play with Wayne LaPierre and his ilk, I don't think anyone on this board has ever said more guns solves anything. 

This was an argument presented by @Hedley Lamarr a few days ago, and while it didn't pertain to THIS incident, it's germane to the overall gun addiction in America. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

@knapplc sums it up:

When normal average everyday citizens begin making traffic stops with a gun and a taser where a person tries to get away I will start to look closer at the idiotic argument trying to be made.  

• Plus1 1